First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions.

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions.
Re: First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questio

Here are a few more shots I took:

Attachments

• IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_1909.jpg
    IMG_1909.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_1916.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 309
   / First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #32  
Re: First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questio

Thanks Chuck. We have more in common than you think. I worked for NASA indirectly on the Taurus and Pegasus projects at Orbital Sciences Corporation. I did some design work on the stage one thrust vector controller and designed the first stage power distribution electronics. Part of me misses being a rocket scientist and part of me does not. Fun days for sure... but never ending work and lots of time away from home. There is no way I could travel now like I did back then. I get within 10 miles of an airport and my blood pressure goes up. Life on a small 22 acre farm and working as a Professor with summers off suits me much better now.

With respect to the tractor, I changed all of the fluids and filters in the tractor this morning, with the exception of the front axle which I will do shortly. I found an NOS mid PTO kit and it arrived today so now I get to drain all of the hydraulic fluid again so I can install the mid PTO. I am keeping my eyes out for a nice 72" belly mower. With your comments and the comments of others such as foggy111, I very well may get a lighter bush hog. Maybe a 4' frontier. Interestingly enough, I am finding this tractor to be much more fun than I expected. Not only is it fun doing the basic maintenance on it, but each thing that I install makes it more useful to me. I fertilized our pasture yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed every second of it, even though it was pretty warm outside.

Joe

Welcome to the forum, and that's a SWEET 970! You've already been given a LOT of great advice here so I can't add too much but... for a bush hog, do NOT get a 4ft bush hog, you will regret it!! That tractor is beefy enough for a 5 ft, and with a loader on the front end, you will have plenty of ballast to keep the front end down, and it has the power to run it too.

If you just ran a LOT of fertilizer through a spreader, you need to clean the back end of that pretty tractor IF it got much fertilizer on it. Fertilizer is pretty corrosive and it will rust bare metal very quickly, and it can even eat up the paint. The fertilizer needs to be neutralized, but I'm not sure the best way to do it, but maybe someone else here can help with that. I used a spreader to spread several hundred pounds of fertilizer at my former hunt club about 5 - 6 years ago and have since had trouble with parts rusting up, including the adjustable sway chains on the draft links. They've froze up several times and it's a real pain. If you didn't get much or any fertilizer on the back end, then you should be ok.

Good luck with it, and the tractor addiction has only just begun lol!!! Pretty soon you will be on here posting pictures of all the customization you've done to it!! There are LOTS of cool things you can add to it to make it suit you even better. You can get plenty of idea's if you start cruising the "customization" and build-it-yourself" forums.

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #33  

Great pics of your mid PTO addition. I could only add a suggestion to replace the quick lock pins that keep the lift arms attached with bolts and lock nuts. When brush hogging, the brush can rip them off (don't ask how I know that :) ) and leave an arm slipping off and a potential for breaking a casting. Very little occasion to have to remove those 3 ph arms so having quick lock pins there doesn't seem like the best idea.
As well, getting a brush hog that is compatible with an iMatch quick hitch is a treat that you won't regret. All my attachments are iMatch compatible except for my old 5' rototiller.

This pic shows your tractor pic with that quick lock pin circled in red.

Attachments

• 970_lock_pins.jpg
    970_lock_pins.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 290
   / First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions.

Thanks for the advice. I won't be taking the lift arms off on a regular basis so I will replace the quick lock pins with a more secure setup; bolts or some other design that will not be prone to coming off. I will be doing mostly bush hog work, so your advice is much appreciated!

Great pics of your mid PTO addition. I could only add a suggestion to replace the quick lock pins that keep the lift arms attached with bolts and lock nuts. When brush hogging, the brush can rip them off (don't ask how I know that :) ) and leave an arm slipping off and a potential for breaking a casting. Very little occasion to have to remove those 3 ph arms so having quick lock pins there doesn't seem like the best idea.
As well, getting a brush hog that is compatible with an iMatch quick hitch is a treat that you won't regret. All my attachments are iMatch compatible except for my old 5' rototiller.

Thanks for the advice. I won't be taking the lift arms off on a regular basis so I will replace the quick lock pins with a more secure setup; bolts or some other design that will not be prone to coming off. I will be doing mostly bush hog work, so your advice is much appreciated!

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #36  
First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions.

Hi Gang,

Last Thursday I purchased a used JD 970. The tractor has 165 hours on it and I am the second owner. The original owner purchased it in 1994 and used it to pull a finish mower at his home. The tractor came with no attachments and looks brand new. The only item that shows any wear is the three point hitch, which is a little scuffed. Even the floorboards where the operator's feet rests are still painted and scratch free. The tractor is four wheel drive (MFWD?) and was garage kept. The tractor has a manual transmission. I paid $12,900 for the tractor. This was at the high end of the spectrum of used 970s I found for sale on the web, but it was the nicest, lowest hour 970 I could find and I thought it was worth it.

Some backbround on me so you can understand a bit of my skillset which may help you generate a response to my questions. I am 55 years old and am a Professor in the University of North Carolina system. This is my third invention of myself. I started life as a diesel mechanic in the Army back in the late 70s. Obtained my electrical engineering degree in the 80s, working for Motorola, Intel, and NASA (among other companies). After 25 or so years as an engineer, I obtained my MBA and a Ph.D. As it turns out, the Ph.D. led me from Arizona to North Carolina where my wife and I purchased a 22 acre property. The property has a 2 acre pasture, a 3 acre pond, and the remainder of the property is old growth forest,,, most of it so thick with trees that walking through the forest can be difficult. There is so much work that needs to be done here.

I purchasd the tractor to mow the pasture and area around the pond, move gravel (more on this later), horse manure, and round bales of hay, pull small trees, etc.

On Friday and Saturday, I went through the tractor, inspecting it and servicing it. I ordered the service manual, but it has not yet arrived so the maintenance I have done is simple: lubrication (primarily) and systems functionality. Here is what my inspection produced: Front and rear axles appear to have never had the oil changed. Drain plugs are virgin (still painted with no marks). Fluid in the axles is clear and looks brand new (clear). Air filter appears to be original and is clean. Fuel filters (one by tank and one in engine compartment) look brown and need to be changed. Everything else on the tractor looks new and untouched. Every bolt is shiny and untouched. You could eat off the undercarriage it is so clean. Not a spec of stray oil or grease to be found.

For maintenance, I have checked all the fluid levels, greased the chassis (every grease point I could find ) and oiled every linkage I could find. I adjusted the brakes (they were about .5" out of spec on pedal movement), and surprisingly, the clutch was in-spec for pedal freeplay.

My experience as a mechanic suggests that I should replace all the filters and fluids in the entire tractor. Given how good the axle fluids are, it may be overkill to replace them. Engine oil needs to be changed, but I need to wait until my local John Deere dealer opens so I can purchase the filters and supplies I need.

So... after this very long introduction, here are my questions:

1. Is there anything I need to know about the 970? Potential systemic problems? I know that it was produced by Yanmar and badged as John Deere, but I have searched the web high and low and have found little "real world" user comments about it.

2. I plan to replace all the fluids and filters. With 165 hours on the tractor, would it be a waste to do so? Maybe an oil change would suffice?

3. Attachments. I really need a front end loader, but I have searched the web and have not found a single new or used John Deere 440 or 70 series FEL. Any suggestions on where I might find one?

4. Rear Wheels. They are set at their widest setting (lowest CG). I do not have any hills on my property where I am worried about tipping over, and setting the rear wheels on their narrowest setting would make getting through the forest and around on the paths easier. Should I leave them as they are for stability or do you think I should move them in. I suspect moving them in will be fine, but I do not know how "tippy" these tractors are.

5. I am looking at a used John Deere MX5 rotary cutter. Do you think my tractor can handle this cutter or would I be better off getting a lighter duty 4' cutter? I have some bamboo on my property that runs 1" to 3" in diameter, but most of it is 1" or smaller. There are LOTS of small trees growing around the edge of the pond that are in the same size range and I would like to cut them down if possible.

6. Anything else I am forgetting? Is there other maintenance items you would perform?

Thanks for bearing with me on this long post... and most of all, thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to offer on one or more of my questions.

Best,

Joe
Hi Joe it's normal for the 970 john deere they never recenter the steering wheel because of it being hydraulic. On the two wheel drive or four wheel drive you can spread the wheel base causing it to be more stable on hills. I service mine once a year and the air filter every other oil change. The engines in this year model are bullet proof and never give any problems mine is a 92 model. Your tractor will handle a five foot finish mower with no problem!

Attachments

• 20230415_164347.jpg
    20230415_164347.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
Last edited: