Fix front winch

/ Fix front winch #21  
The winch specs say 1800 psi is required to pull 10,000.

Last edited:
   / Fix front winch #22  
Yeah, but what's the winch rated at max PSI? Could his tractor put out too much and blow it or too little to be effective, etc...

I was looking at mile marker winches for my PowerTrac. They run off the power steering on cars and trucks and are rated for something like 1500PSI. My PowerTrac puts out 2500PSI. I'd have to put some type of pressure relief in there to protect it.

Also wondering how he's going to connect it to his hydraulics. From that tow truck video, it looks like there's a locking lever on the winch for free spooling, and then two hydraulic hoses. The guy was controlling the winch from a valve at the rear of the truck forward and reverse. So if he mounts that winch on the front of his tractor, he'll have to operate it from a valve somewhere on his tractor. FEL controls with diverter valve, rear hydraulics valve, etc...

/ Fix front winch #23  
Milemarker winches use electrical solenoids for control. I had a 12ft cord and also an in cab control switch.

/ Fix front winch #24  
Milemarker winches use electrical solenoids for control. I had a 12ft cord and also an in cab control switch.

Yes, they do. And the installation kit adds a significant cost to the price of the winch.

/ Fix front winch #25  
If it was me I would mount it just like you would mount a suitcase weight. As long as you have the clearance between it and the loader you could just use the curl function quick disconnects to feed fluid to it. You could either lift the loader out of the way when you needed the winch or curl the bucket, plant it into the ground to help keep the tractor from moving and then swap over the lines. Down the road you could add a 3rd function valve.

/ Fix front winch
Thank you for all answer. I learn a lot be readind some of the comments. The hydraulic winch look durable but slow (I was thinking the contrary at the beginnig). That is why I was considering the second model who go atround 15 feet by minute at 6.2 gpm. And if I go ahead for sure it will be install attach to the frame! But maybe I should consider electric it is easier to install? I may consider this I have to check what availiable and check my electric system.

/ Fix front winch #27  
Thank you for all answer. I learn a lot be readind some of the comments. The hydraulic winch look durable but slow (I was thinking the contrary at the beginnig). That is why I was considering the second model who go atround 15 feet by minute at 6.2 gpm. And if I go ahead for sure it will be install attach to the frame! But maybe I should consider electric it is easier to install? I may consider this I have to check what availiable and check my electric system.

Very important when considering electric to determine how much power your tractor can supply!!!!

For extended pulls, 60ft or more, you need a very good alternator (50 amp) or better and a large capacity deep cycle battery.

That might be the shortcoming with your tractor?? Educate yourself on the alternator output primarily. I'm sure the battery, if original, is the smallest the manufacturer thought they could get by with.

I have a 90amp alternator and 900cca battery on my buggy. It will do a long pull but needs a recharge rest before attempting the next pull. A previous Jeep that I owned had 100amp alternator and dual deep cycle batteries. It always had plenty of power for multiple pulls.

Interested in seeing whatever you decide to do so let us know. :)

/ Fix front winch #28  

For the needs you have, i.e. long winch line and infrequent use, perhaps you should consider a gas powered capstan winch like this one from Northern Tool.
A capstan winch has a drum around which you wrap a rope. By keeping hand tension on the rope the capstan pulls the rope with force.

Some advantages, since the winch line is not stored on the winch, the winch capstan always has the same line pull strength unlike a drum winch where the more cable wound on the drum the lower the line pull..
Since it is self powered and you attach it to a tree, you can get it into places you would or could not drive your tractor.
It would not be putting any stresses on your tractor unless you anchored it to your draw bar which is the best place to put a load on your tractor frame.
There are electric capstan winches as well which you could run off battery power.
You can always use a snatch block to get higher pulling power
Dave M7040

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200586185_200586185

/ Fix front winch #29  
Just close to our home "Payeur / Ascot Corner" did install a metal plate with an elctric winch 6000lbs. Work great it's bolted on the front bumper/frame. After a year, I remove it an bought a forest winch!:laughing:

kioti treuil P1010444.jpg

/ Fix front winch #30  
I mounted one of those 6000lb UTV winches on a plate to fit a 1" receiver. It plugs into the rear of my ATV or the frame of my FEL. I also have a boom for the FEL that it will plug into. I initially thought I would use it for log retrieval but it was too slow. It does work great as an "unstucker" when moving snow or when you drop into something too slippery for the chains to grab traction. It only gets used for unstucking maybe once a year but it also loads boats, skidoos and is generally a light portable power source.