Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #11  
JD should offer a fix-it kit FREE to keep good customer relations. The cost of the kit should be much less than all the trips to the dealer for warrantee work and the down time. Bad move JD.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #12  
I don't usually sign up for post but I have fought with my jd 5320 for more years then not. If it wasn't for the post I don't know how long it would take or if I could figure out what was wrong with it. It finally would lose it prime over nite for two years I would have prime it ever few days. The JD dealer worked on it replace this and that with no result I finally read about the fuel lines they didn't leak but I replace them and fixed the problem. Last week it wouldn't crank so I worked and primed it almost all day my arm felt like was going to fall off. I read the post about the fuel shut off fuse blowing and to disconnect one wire, it crank thank God
the problem was fuel injector switch it's was under the neck where the radiator hose connects to the block looks like temp. sensor.The JD tech did tell me there was only one wire we argued but told me I could trace it each wire has a color and a number ever 2 to 3 ins.on the wire, this wire was 372 and not on the wiring diagram thanks to everyone that makes post It does help

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #13  
I know this is an old thread but a BiG thanks for taking the time to post these solutions. I have had my tractor lose prime twice in the last month and I am pretty sure it is from letting the fuel level get too low which is directly relate to my faulty fuel gauge!

Anyway, at least I now know why it's is happening and can hopefully prevent it going forward. I did not see where there was a check valve on my fuel line, so either it was removed (I bought this used) or I totally missed it. If this happens again, I plan to install the check valve and replace the fuel line. I may install the electric pump if it does not require a high degree of skill.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #14  
FenderBender711 I bought my tractor new in 2002 (5320) there isn't any check valve I would replace the fuel lines first. I even put a prime blub like on a outboard the JD tech put a new primer that was harder to use you would have to pull it up ever time you pushed it down and the loader made it hard to get to this the only complaint I have with the tractor

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #15  
Thanks for the comments. I did change out both fuel lines, added the inline filter and the check valve. Thought I was cooking with gas when it failed to start again. I listened for the "click". No click. Checked the fuse and yes it was blown. I replaced it and it promptly blew again. I ran of of time today, but tomorrow, I'll disconnect the wire and hopefully will find that this was part of my problem.

I ha fuel leaks on the return side and I feel good about everything I have done so far. Without these posts I would be going crazy right now. Will update once I try the next step in the process.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #16  
I disconnected the wire...Fuse did not blow. Have new part in hand and will look to replace in the next few days. On a side note, I was taking another look at my fuel filter prime pump and discovered that I had not cleaned it as well as I thought. There was a bunch of slime built up. After cleaning it out it made a WORLD of difference and it saved me 80.00 for a new one.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #17  
I own a 4520 and wondering if anyone knows whether or not this issue could apply to the design of my machine also? It seems that they are similarly designed in the fuel system. I would be interested in knowing.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #18  
Great post.

I added the electric fuel pump to my 5420 years ago. When I did, we pulled out the prime pump and installed a heating unit in the same spot. Really helps with cold weather operation.

One other suggestion. Always drain the fuel filter/water separator each winter before the temperatures get down below 20°F to prevent freeze up. I always change the filter at this time.

Still HATE the fuel system and the priming process.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #19  
Burnetma I live in the south so cold weather isn't that big of problem mine is a 02 with less then 600 hrs I load logs with this one have 3 other tractor not JD. I have wonder if my problems with it was because I didn't use it enough. Knock on wood I haven't had any more problems. Thanks to all who post it really has help

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #20  
I own a 4520 and wondering if anyone knows whether or not this issue could apply to the design of my machine also? It seems that they are similarly designed in the fuel system. I would be interested in knowing.

I think our tractors have a fuel pump so not the same as this setup. Maybe someone else can correct me if I am Wrong?