Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #21  
Glen
I'm sure you have the same fuel lines try and replace them first cheap fix. My fuel gauge and I think most doesn't read correct. Check fuses yours is a four cyl. 5320 is a three..JD uses this three cly in their skidsteer with a fuel pump. If I had to guess I would say they would be similarly what is yours doing

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #23  
Well, I finally had a day to get back to working on my tractor. So much has already been said about this issue, so I'm not going to rehash that, but I will talk about some things I had not considered.

First how best to get to the temp sensor and remove it. There is very little room to get a wrench on this part. I disconnected the injector line and lossened he top of the upper radiator hose while disconnecting the bottom part allowing for me to turn it up and cause less of a mess. Speaking of mess, have a 5 gallon bucket handy to catch the coolant. After replacing the part, I hit the ignition and no blown fuse. Sweet! One problem I had was my battery was fairly discharged from all of the crank attempts so I had to charge it up. Lastly, I had to get the air out of my fuel lines. One piece of advice is loosen up an injector and let the air pass through here. I have tried loosening at the pump and have not had the same success.

Anyway, it finally cranked after 3 weeks of sitting. I love this forum. It has saved me alot of time and money. I used it to identify a problem with my old Massey a couple of years ago and now this...simply fantastic.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #24  
I am new to this thread and I have a question about my 5320 that is having fuel issues. I am by no means a mechanic, so my questions may seam basic. My tank had trash that caused the fuel to stop flowing. I cleaned the tank, changed the fuel filter, and I have ateempted to bleed the air. No luck. I detached the fuel line to the injectors and see some gas to this point. Not sure if it is the correct volume. I get nothing when i follow JD's instuctions about removing the line on top of the injectors to get fuel flow. Why would I not get Diesel past that point? Thanks for any help.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #25  
May not be your problem, but did you check to make sure all the fuses are good? Insure the fuse for the soleniod is good.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #26  
I will do that. I did hear a clicking sound while the starter is turning. I thought that may be the soleniod.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #27  
can anyone tell me the exact location to the soleniod fuse? Did not see it in my operators manual.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #28  
   / Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #29  
I was no expert until I had this problem and now I feel as bough I know my tractor's fuel system as well as most mechanics. Not really, but I sure learned a lot and I credit his site.

I would suggest you inspect you primer pump and completely disassemble and clean it. I found this as one of my problems. I had some slime growing in it and prior to. Leaning, it was not effectively pumping fuel. Also, you need to fill up your tank with fuel and don't rely on your gauge. I did and found that it was broken during this process. Without a lot of fuel, you do not get the pressure you need for a good gravity feed. Lastly, you need to bleed at the injector as well as the pump. If you getting a steady and I mean steady stream at his point then you can feel pretty good that fuel is at the injectors.

You definitely need to check your fuses and if the solenoid one is blown, you probably have a bad. Old weather start sensor.

There is a some good posts on this topic, so trying searching around if this does not help.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #30  
Tank is full. Cleaned primer. I can take the fuel line off going into the injectors and diesel is flowing. I can put the line back on and remove the bleeding screw and the line off the top of the injectors, as the manual shows, and no fuel is escaping.