Flat Face Couplers.... Hate Them So Far

/ Flat Face Couplers.... Hate Them So Far #1  

Johnkn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota LX3310
My new tractor has FF couplers on the grapple hoses at the grapple. The other ends at the 3rd function valve are Pioneer. For years on other tractors I have never had more than a drop or 2 of oil leak from a Pioneer coupler when removing. These flat face couplers sometimes lose what appears to be an ounce of fluid when removing/installing. I have never had oil stains on my gravel area by my shed, now I do. I may take them off and switch back to Pioneer.

Am I alone? Thanks.....

Edit, just came in from the shed, I have a 8” stain on the wooden shed floor from the couplers now. Leaking from the couplers, not the hose fittings. It’s been in the shed for 6 days now.

Last edited:
   / Flat Face Couplers.... Hate Them So Far #2  
Perhaps you had some residual pressure built-up in your hydraulic remote lines, and during disconnection it leaks and bleeds down, and continues after disconnection. Trapped pressure in a hydraulic system can be caused by thermal expansion of the fluid from heavy tractor usage. And can make hose connections more difficult for the operator. I don't know how many hours on your new tractor, but this issue may just stop over time.

Nearly every skid steer operator i know, says the flat face hydraulic connections are superior upgrades to the "leaky and breakage prone" pioneer connections that are most common on tractors.

My tractor has only the pioneer connections and they always leak a few drops during connection and disconnection. Its normal. But there are some days I just seem to struggle to to make fast connections. So keep rags handy to manage the drips and keep connections fully clean.

Last edited:
   / Flat Face Couplers.... Hate Them So Far #3  
Sounds like you should take off all your flat faced couplers and replace them with pioneers. You can send me all your FF couplers.

From what you describe I'd say you have them reversed. I always have to have a clean rag handy disconnecting pioneers on my rear remotes, oil pours out all over my rear tire otherwise. FF couplers might have a slow drip over time. I'd suspect your FF couplers were dirty one day and you damaged the seals.

Before disconnecting the FF, turn off the tractor and relieve the implement pressures using the valve. If you park your implements outside in the sun they tend to develop a lot of internal pressure from the heat. That might be contributing you your drips too.

/ Flat Face Couplers.... Hate Them So Far #4  
Every single one (10) of my couplers leaks at disconnection. I don't have flat face.

/ Flat Face Couplers.... Hate Them So Far #5  
Sounds like you should take off all your flat faced couplers and replace them with pioneers. You can send me all your FF couplers.

From what you describe I'd say you have them reversed. I always have to have a clean rag handy disconnecting pioneers on my rear remotes, oil pours out all over my rear tire otherwise. FF couplers might have a slow drip over time. I'd suspect your FF couplers were dirty one day and you damaged the seals.

Before disconnecting the FF, turn off the tractor and relieve the implement pressures using the valve. If you park your implements outside in the sun they tend to develop a lot of internal pressure from the heat. That might be contributing you your drips too.

That’s good advice. I’m a newby and found I couldn’t reconnect theFF couplers after removing an implement.

I take any and all pressure off The hydraulics and, do it the next morning.

The comment about temp convinced me.

/ Flat Face Couplers.... Hate Them So Far

The FF couplers are not dirty, they are brand new. Now 1 week old and perfectly clean. I properly relieve all pressure on both the tractor side and the implement side, I cycle the FEL loader control multiple times, then with key on but engine off, cycle the 3rd function switch several times. I've tried it with the grapple completely closed, fully open and mid-way, it makes no difference. No sun in my shed to heat the tractor. thanks.

/ Flat Face Couplers.... Hate Them So Far #9  
I have dozens of them and hate every one. What annoys me most is that it takes virtually no pressure to make them impossible to connect.

Also, impossible to use below zero in wet conditions without carrying a propane torch.

/ Flat Face Couplers.... Hate Them So Far
I just came in from my shed, 75* today, indoors, tractor has been sitting for 24 hours and all pressure relieved multiple times on both the tractor and implement side (and 3rd function valve with the key on but engine off. I removed 1 FF coupler by the grapple and oil poured out. I'll be replacing with Pioneer. I've never had this issue before and getting old enough to not want to fight it.

I have a high degree of confidence that I can probably throw them at least 45 yards back in my woods before they hit the ground. :thumbsup: