Floating steering knob

/ Floating steering knob #1  

Hootie

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, Kubota ZD 221, Kubota Grand L 5030 HSTC, Kubota RTV, Polaris 500ATP
Found an orange steering knob at TSC. Installed it in the 5030 where I wanted it (about 7 o'clock on the steering wheel) and went to work hogging. I kept thinking the knob was somehow moving. Of course it was'nt. Before you know it the knob is around the 10 o'clock position. :confused:

The wife hogs the next day and when I finally retake possession of MY tractor the freaking knob is around 3 pm (tired of typing o'clock). I move gravel the next day with the FEL, 4 wheel drive in use, and the knob is floating all over the place. Yea allot more floating in 4X4.

What the freakin heck is going on?:D

/ Floating steering knob #2  
Hi Hootie,
I have a BX23 and it does the same thing. With hydraulic steering it is normal and drifts around. In mechanical steering you have a direct link up so it would stay where you set it.
Glenn

/ Floating steering knob #3  
This is an anomaly of hydrostatic steering. If you start your tractor, then turn the steering wheel ever-so-slowly you can probably get the steering wheel to make a full revolution without the front wheels turning at all!

It's completely normal...

/ Floating steering knob #4  
cyberknight said:
Hi Hootie,
I have a BX23 and it does the same thing. With hydraulic steering it is normal and drifts around. In mechanical steering you have a direct link up so it would stay where you set it.
Glenn
There is no mechanical linkage to hold the steering wheel in the same position.

/ Floating steering knob #5  
My knob floats all over on my B3030 as well, i prefer it at 7:00, however it is a great help just being there!

/ Floating steering knob #6  
We call those things "suicide knobs" where I originally came from (PA) ;). They can hurt you if you come to an abrupt stop :eek:. I do not have one but I am blue colored :rolleyes: Jay

/ Floating steering knob #7  
Guy I know has an old MF tractor, he ran into a stump with the front wheel and it rotated the steering wheel so fast the steering knob broke his arm in 2 places!!!

/ Floating steering knob #8  
The center hub on my tractor steering wheel has the Kubota name, emblem, sticker, decal thing. This hub spins/rotates with the steering wheel. I have never seen it float out of the proper orientation. When the wheels are straight, the Kubota name is right side up and readable. I know that I have power steering on my B7610 but I don't know if it's hydrostatic..... My point I guess is: That I don't see any drift. Or am I missing something with the center hub vs a spinner knob??

Regards,
Duber

/ Floating steering knob #9  
Hi Hootie,

I installed a suicide knob, and it worked fine. The next time I used the tractor, the knob had changed position! I moved it to where it should be. After the 3rd time, I figured it out! I may be dumb...but I ain't stupid!