Floating steering knob

/ Floating steering knob #11  
Suicide knob history. In the 1950's, the popular shirt for men was a button down dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Many accidents were caused by knobs getting caught in the sleeves,leading to loss of vehicle control. They are illegal to this day on automobiles in massachussets.

/ Floating steering knob #12  
Well this is sure an interesting thread.I was gonna by a knob for my 23,when i get my rear blower.Ifigured out that i can sit sideways on the tractor,comfortably,and run the treadle pedal.[been doing it all summer ,hauling wood in the fel.rather than keep wiggling the tractor around in the woods] I thought the knob would assist in one hand steering.
If you intentionally park the tractor with the knob at 3 oclock,it WONT remain there next time?
ALAN

/ Floating steering knob #13  
Well this is sure an interesting thread.I was gonna by a knob for my 23,when i get my rear blower.Ifigured out that i can sit sideways on the tractor,comfortably,and run the treadle pedal.[been doing it all summer ,hauling wood in the fel.rather than keep wiggling the tractor around in the woods] I thought the knob would assist in one hand steering.
If you intentionally park the tractor with the knob at 3 oclock,it WONT remain there next time?
ALAN

/ Floating steering knob #14  
Escavader,

After having one, I could not get along without one, now. You can operate the steering wheel with one hand while working the loader or whatever other device with the other hand. You can do things faster, making turns and become more efficient. The knob will move to a different position after a little use...but, you will never notice it during your operations. A knob is what you need for fast manuevering in the woods. Your mission is to report back after your first day of using one!

LBrown...I laughed at your pun...I can't think of a come back because I'm afraid your right...

/ Floating steering knob #15  
Agreed... drift is normal... agreed, it happened to me and I moved the knob once before I wised up...I have a 5030, too.

SOLUTION:

Install TWO additional knobs... I did... THREE total now.

This way, there is a knob ALWAYS under my hand where I am trying to operate it.... I think this is the handiest, most used, cheapest add-on that I have done to the tractor!

/ Floating steering knob #16  
duber34 said:
I know that I have power steering on my B7610 but I don't know if it's hydrostatic..... My point I guess is: That I don't see any drift. Or am I missing something with the center hub vs a spinner knob??

The B7610 has power steering, but not hydrostatic. That may be the difference.

/ Floating steering knob #17  
For you guys that added the knob to a BX, what style did you use? The spokes of the steering wheel are quite wide where they meet the wheel itself. I don't think the clamp-on types from TSC will fit. Did you use a stud mount and drill a hole in the spoke?

/ Floating steering knob #18  
duber34 said:
The center hub on my tractor steering wheel has the Kubota name, emblem, sticker, decal thing. This hub spins/rotates with the steering wheel. I have never seen it float out of the proper orientation. When the wheels are straight, the Kubota name is right side up and readable. I know that I have power steering on my B7610 but I don't know if it's hydrostatic..... My point I guess is: That I don't see any drift. Or am I missing something with the center hub vs a spinner knob??

Regards,
Duber

Aww my friend, you and I have what is truly Power Steering. Our tractors are steered by a direct linked gear box controlled by the steering wheel that is power assisted hydraulically similar to steering on your truck/car. Our steering wheel is always in the same position in relation to the front wheels. So our knobs stay where we install them when running straight. I really, really, really like that!!!! I run mine at the six oclock position fastened to the bottom spoke. Did I mention that I really, really like this system?? :cool:

/ Floating steering knob #19  
LBrown59 said:
:D :D Ya but ain't it stupid to be dumb and isn't it dumb to be stupid??;)

But LB,,, isn't it also true to "Remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"??? :)

/ Floating steering knob #20  
lawn_king said:
Suicide knob history. In the 1950's, the popular shirt for men was a button down dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Many accidents were caused by knobs getting caught in the sleeves,leading to loss of vehicle control. They are illegal to this day on automobiles in massachussets.

I bought a '70 Jeepster Commando a few years back. A friend of mine gave me a "folding", glass topped steering knob with a picture of a skimpily clad woman in the center. I installed it and I rarely use it and keep it folded most of the time but it's the coolest gift I ever got!!! :cool: