Tires fluid in tires

/ fluid in tires #1  

jb112454

Silver Member
Tractor
2001 Kioti DK35
i just had fluid put in the rears of my dk35 what a difference it makes when using the fel. i had it done at the dealer i bought it at and he only charged me for the antifreeze put 3 gallons per tire.

/ fluid in tires #2  
What size tires do you have? Or is '3 gal/tire' a typo and you meant 30?

/ fluid in tires
the 3 gallons of anitfreeze is in addition to topping off with water. the antifreeze is just to keep it from freezing in the winter. the tires are 12.4 x 24 and i think they hold about 30 gallons each which means i put about 480 lbs on the rear of my tractor. sorry for the confusion

/ fluid in tires #4  
Gotcha. I see you are an OK and winter doesn't mean temps that can get to -30 F. I assume the 3 gal of antifreeze will (hopefully) keep the rust down, which shouldn't be a major problem as long as the tires are filled to above the rim at the top.

/ fluid in tires #5  
John,

With only 3 gallons of anti-freeze to 27 gallons of water... what does that get you down to "freezing point" temp?

It doesn't seem to be enough anti-freeze for the volume of water used... or is my math off somewhere...? /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ fluid in tires #6  
Three gallons sounds a little light to me too, John. In my old Ford Jubilee with 12.4 x 28 ags, I think it was four gallons to get me down below 20º. I didn't test it, but that's what I was told by a tire dealer in north TX.

/ fluid in tires #7  
John, he just lives in the middle of Oklahoma. It ain't gonna get quite as cold, or last as long, as in your part of the country. And maybe he's like me. I just put 2 gallons of antifreeze in each rear tire 'cause the tractor is stored inside and if the temperature is below freezing it's extremely unlikely that I'll start or move it./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ fluid in tires #8  
<pre>Updated: 04:53 PM CST on December 29, 2001
Observed at Muskogee, Oklahoma
Temperature 30° F
Windchill 22° F
Humidity 47%
Dewpoint 12° F
Wind North at 9 mph
Pressure 30.31 in
Conditions Clear
Visibility 10 miles
Clouds Clear < 12000 ft (CLR)
Sunrise 7:33 AM (CST)
Sunset 5:17 PM (CST)
Moon Rise 4:43 PM (CST)
Moon Set 6:46 AM (CST)
Moon Phase
Today Dec. 30 Jan. 06 Jan. 13

</pre>

I don't know Bird... it seems below freezing to me right now...? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ fluid in tires #9  
Tulsa, OK forecast...

Forecast as of 4:00 PM CST on December 29, 2001
Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper teens. Light north winds.
Sunday
Mostly cloudy. A chance of light snow in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 30s. Light northeast winds. Chance of snow 30 percent.
Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of light snow. Lows near 20. Light northeast winds. Chance of snow 30 percent.
Monday
Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of light snow. Highs in the lower 30s. Chance of snow 20 percent.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy with a slight chance of flurries. Lows in the upper teens. Chance of snow 20 percent.
New Years Day
A slight chance of flurries...otherwise partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 30s.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper teens.

Maybe he has that Super concentrated Space-age Anti-freeze... One gallon per 1000 gallons of water that won't freeze until -89 degrees...[image]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/image]

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ fluid in tires #10  
I understand, John. In fact our forecast calls for a low of 25 tonight (and it's usually colder out here in the country than in town), and I've seen it as low as 10 here once in the past 7 years; however, my tractor is indoors, even if the water in the tires froze a little slush wouldn't hurt anything and solid ice probably wouldn't hurt anything if you didn't move the tractor while it was frozen, and I have no intentions of using my tractor when the temperature is below freezing, so I'm convinced I have nothing to worry about and thought he might be the same. Now if I planned to use my tractor in sub-freezing weather, that would be a whole 'nuther ball game./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif