Tires fluid in tires

/ fluid in tires
hi bird, had a valve stem get ripped off today while doing some filling in an wash were the people who owned the property before me dumped alot of old junk. lost all the fluid luckily no animals around because i don't know if the antifreeze is the good or bad type. i'm assuming the stem has to be removed from the inside so the tire has to be broken off the bead. is this a job i could do or do i need to take it to a tire shop? i also think that i will put very short stems in like was recommended in another post. i was thinking could you weld a guard near the stem to keep this from happening? i also going to fill the tire back up myself thanks to you guys.

/ fluid in tires #22  
Lots of rims have a circular steel piece welded on to protect the valve stem.

Egon

/ fluid in tires #23  
JB, I'll answer your questions in reverse order. As for welding guards around the valve stem, a lot of tractors that come with R4 tires come originally with such guards (expected to be used in industrial and construction applications). There has been some discussion on this forum about doing that and I think it might not be a bad idea, although I'm not sure I'd trust my own welding enough to do it and feel confident that I had not damaged the wheel.

As for the valve stem, I assume we've talking about a tubeless tire, and yes, you have to break the bead loose on that one side. There is probably a broken piece of the old stem inside the tire, but you can probably get it out without taking the tire completely off the rim. Then you lubricate a new stem, insert it into the rim from the inside and pull it through until the "shoulder" comes through. There are at least three types of special tool for this purpose and you might be able to do it without one of them, but I sure wouldn't want to. The tool screws on in place of the valve cap and gives you something to pull with (takes a pretty good pull to get it into place). If you have a tool for removing the valve core (vs just a valve cap), it probably includes the thing that screws on to pull with. Breaking the bead loose is sometimes easy, but frequently not, so there are special tools made for that, also. However, in an emergency when I didn't have the right tool, I have laid a tire and wheel on the ground and driven a car tire onto the flat tire as close as possible to the rim without getting ON the rim.

/ fluid in tires
bird, got the stem out. the tire came off bead by just jumping on the tire. i think the antifreeze made it slippery enough to allow me to do that. will pickup a stem tommorow and see what i can do. i'm going to check out getting an attachment for filling the tire backup with water and antifreeze. ever heard of a tool to do this?

/ fluid in tires #25  
JB, there's been a lot of prior discussions on the forum of the air/water adapter that Tractor Supply Co., NAPA, and other places sell for $10 or less to let you hook up a garden hose to the valve stem to do that. And the antifreeze (as well as driving the tractor) probably did make it easy to break the bead. When I tore a valve stem out of my right front tire, the bead broke loose on its own before I stopped./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif So I put the new valve stem in, in the field, without taking the wheel off the tractor./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ fluid in tires #26  
If you have broken one bead and the other is still sealed just pour the fluid in.

Egon

/ fluid in tires #27  
If you are replacing the valve stem, go for the short metal ones that are are bolted in place. My JD790 has those on both the front and back R4's, I think they will hold up to a little more abuse than the standared rubber ones. Although, my tractor has the metal protector around the valve stems to provide some protection.

/ fluid in tires
that's a good idea for the antifreeze but i would the wheel would be to heavy to get back on the hub if i topped it off with water.

/ fluid in tires
mine has the metal stems i just need to find a real short one. i might see if i can get a welder to weld me a guard around the stems. if i'm thinking correct he should be able to weld the guards on with the wheels full of fluid. kinda like the boiling water in a paper cup the cup won't burn so the tire shouldn't be harmed. a good tig weld shouldn't be that hot anyway.

/ fluid in tires #30  
I would be real surprised if that would work. You need the heat to weld, and the boiling fluid will be the max you can get, IMHO