Ford 1300

/ Ford 1300 #21  
which end did u put the seal on from:confused: having hard time geting over the piston.

I just sent you a pm explaining it again. The outer lip of the seal should face the cyliner head that you removed. The opposite will not work. Imagine as the pressure increased due to flow of oil that expands the outer edge of seal lip toward inside of the lift cylinder so you will not have any blow by back to the differential, as I explained before it is a tight fit. I would not use any direct heat. I'm thinking you might put the seal out in the sun for a 15 minutes to soften it just a bit. I have heard people put the seal in the warm water (not boiling) and that expands it some. the hyd fluid at time can get pretty warm. Put the seal with the lip facing the the front of the tractor, make sure not to put the piston in reveres. The front of the piston is flat but the back side has a depression that pushes the fat rod there. keep the seal lubed and squared to the piston and slowly push it in. if you have a helper may be two people can push it more evenly on four sides. Really it is not very difficult. let me know how it goes.

JC,

ps. look at #12 post and 3rd and 4th picture. that shows the orientation pretty clearly.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1300
ok got the seal on and all that, got everything put back together,but the lift will come up and stay when you kill it stays up to,but it will not go down when push the leaver down it dont do nothing s:mad:o what did we do wrong ?

/ Ford 1300 #23  
ok got the seal on and all that, got everything put back together,but the lift will come up and stay when you kill it stays up to,but it will not go down when push the leaver down it dont do nothing s:mad:o what did we do wrong ?

So far so good aye!! make sure your rate of drop knob is not fully closed. That is a knob right under the seat , that is mounted on the lift cylinder.

Turn the knob counter clockwise in the direction of wascally wabbit, raise or lower the 3 point and report back.

JC,

/ Ford 1300
ok just turn the knob to the wabbit, same thing it only picks up but dont push down but when i kill it, i can push the arms down with my hand and when i crank it the arms stay down still, and it will pick the arms up but still no down - am i post to be able to push the arms down with hands when i kill it or not, so what did i do wrong did i put it in wrong u think.

/ Ford 1300 #25  
ok just turn the knob to the wabbit, same thing it only picks up but dont push down but when i kill it, i can push the arms down with my hand and when i crank it the arms stay down still, and it will pick the arms up but still no down - am i post to be able to push the arms down with hands when i kill it or not, so what did i do wrong did i put it in wrong u think.

Delrie,

I have difficulty to separate out the procedure you used to test your three point. Please use a new sentence each time you say something. I'm going to kind of rephrase your statement based on how I understand them.

1. You are able to raise the 3 point lift system but you can not lower by lowering the lift arm handle. is that correct?

2. Each time that you raise the list arms then how do you lower it to test it again? Do you do it by forcing the arm down by hand ? I take it that you have no implement attached to lift arms? is that correct?

3. What happens after you raise the arm and when you turn the engine off? does the lift arm on it's own go down?

4. Back into some implement and attach to 3 point. Can you lift your implement? if you do, then what happens when you turn the engine off? does it lower by itself or stays up in the air.

5. I can't tell you how you installed your seal cause I ain't there. Did you see my damaged seal picture? did you figure out it's orientation? did you look at the old seal and how it was oriented before you took it off? did you take a pic of how you installed your new seal so I can see the orientation?

6. potentially a reversed installed seal might raise just the arm without any load on it and it can equally loose the pressure as the oil easily blow bys the lift cylinder.

7. You either have the seal put in bass ackward or your spool valve, the valve connected to your lift mechanism is not holding tight and internally leaks in to rear diffy.

If you reply, please number your response the same as my questions so I can understand it better. I certainly welcome good folks here if they can add or subtract my statements.

JC,

/ Ford 1300 #26  

Try turning the rabbit/turtle knob ( the one in JC's Picture) more counter-clockwise until the lift arms start down. Raise the lift, then lower the lift arm (raise/lower) lever to the lowest position. Did the 3 point drop down? If it did not, turn the rabbit knob more counter-clockwise unti the 3 point drops. If it does not drop by turning the knob as far as it will go counter-clockwise then there may be another problem as JC says. The knob regulates how fast or how slow the 3 point drops. If it is turned all the way clockwise the lift will not drop because the fluid flow is shut off. If it is turned too far counter clockwise the implement will drop fast immediately with any lowering of the lever. The heavier load on the 3 point the faster it will drop when the lever is lowered.
JC, i am just trying to help you here. Ray

/ Ford 1300 #27  
Delrie, The lift does not "power" down on your tractor. It only drops because of the weight of the implements, or as you say if you lower the lift lever you can push it down. There is no power in the downward direction, this is normal.:confused2:

/ Ford 1300 #28  
JC, i am just trying to help you here. Ray

By all means Ray:) Delrie needs to break it down to smaller components before seeing the big pictures. Memorizing a concept is never enough in the long run.

JC,

/ Ford 1300
Ok, we have took the piston out again and put it back in. However this time we attached the bush hog and it worked, it raises and goes down. Also it now holds when you raise it and then kill the engine :). But it still shakes when you raise it, however when it is raised to its peak it does not shake anymore, only when going up. Only now we have descovered something new, while mowing and going up a hill the tracktor lugs down and goes very slow like it is wanting to die. What in the world do you think may be this illness?:confused:

/ Ford 1300 #30  
Ok, we have took the piston out again and put it back in. However this time we attached the bush hog and it worked, it raises and goes down. Also it now holds when you raise it and then kill the engine :). But it still shakes when you raise it, however when it is raised to its peak it does not shake anymore, only when going up. Only now we have descovered something new, while mowing and going up a hill the tracktor lugs down and goes very slow like it is wanting to die. What in the world do you think may be this illness?:confused:

Well, did you happen to reverse the piston orientation by chance when you put it back together? At any rate, I'm happy it worked. I don't exactly know the nature of shaking to give comments. you might need new oil and strainer cleaning. At this point I wouldn't dork with it unless necessary. when engine lugs , the tractor is telling you " no can do". What gear are you using and what is your ground speed. I'd put the range in 2 and gear in 2 or 3 and around 2200-2400 engine rpm and hopefully that will be what you need. Post back if you're in a new pickle.

JC,