Ford 1510 Tractor Wont Start Help !

/ Ford 1510 Tractor Wont Start Help ! #11  
0 @ bat = dead bat.. No mystery there.

Note that there is a difference in 0 @ bat post & 0@ the bat cable connector

/ Ford 1510 Tractor Wont Start Help !
0 @ bat = dead bat.. No mystery there.

Note that there is a difference in 0 @ bat post & 0@ the bat cable connector

Ok, I have 12.8- 13 volts to a new battery. When i put a volt meter on the new battery posts. Then turn key to start. The volt meter goes from 12.8 down to zero. The same thing on the starter. and alternator. All of the Hot Terminals mentioned here have 12.8 volts untill i turn the key to start. Motor will not turn over.

/ Ford 1510 Tractor Wont Start Help ! #13  
I keep harping on this as a ignition switch problem. Voltage comes into the ign switch but does not go out to the solenoid. There are 4 internal contacts in the switch and they get burnt and cease to transfer the power to the starter, the cold start aid and the guages go dim or out when the switch is turned to start. Check there. If this is the problem, you can still jump power to the starter solinoid and start the tractor. Check some of older posts from JC-jetro to see how to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver.....I could be wrong on this but check it out, I am not a mechanic, just an owner.

Last edited:
I keep harping on this as a ignition switch problem. Voltage comes into the ign switch but does not go out to the solenoid. There are 4 internal contacts in the switch and they get burnt and cease to transfer the power to the starter, the cold start aid and the guages go dim or out when the switch is turned to start. Check there. If this is the problem, you can still jump power to the starter solinoid and start the tractor. Check some of older posts from JC-jetro to see how to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver.....I could be wrong on this but check it out, I am not a mechanic, just an owner.

I tried to jump the starter soleniod to the big battery wire. does nothing. I guess i will pull the fuel tank and dig into the wiring.

/ Ford 1510 Tractor Wont Start Help ! #15  
If you jumped the starter solenoid post to the big battery wire (with good, grounded battery and with big battery wire mounted on starter post) and nothing clicked, you likely have a bad starter/solenoid. I replaced my NH 1920 starter with and eBay purchase []new holland 151 starter | eBay and it worked for a while. My starting problems eventually developed into too much wiring harness voltage loss, and not being patient enough for electrical troubleshooting, I bypassed the harness with a push-button starter switch. You might replace the solenoid first.

Its a new battery, But i will put my load tester on it

/ Ford 1510 Tractor Wont Start Help ! #17  
If it drops to 0 with the starter on it, no load tester needed! :)

If its a bad bat, impossible to implicate ignition switch yet.. Need a good bat to diagnose!

/ Ford 1510 Tractor Wont Start Help ! #18  

His battery is dead.. Impossible to diagnose ignition switch... Yet.

Load test showed good , battery is strong . it must be starter or soleniod

/ Ford 1510 Tractor Wont Start Help ! #20  
When checking the battery while cranking, put the meter leads on the positive and negative terminals of the battery itself. If you still see 0 volts, it is the battery. If you see 12.8 volts or better, you have a bad ground connection somewhere between where you used to put the negative meter lead and the negative terminal on the battery.

Guy.