Ford 1700 & 1710 tractor parts

/ Ford 1700 & 1710 tractor parts #21  
To respond to the question above... yes, it is common to use glow plugs to start, especially in colder (sub 40 degree) weather.

I have no answer as to the life expectancy of the injectors, but I suspect I have one that is due for retirement. I don't know about cleaning. I do know that some of my diesel truck friends speak of having injectors reconditioned. I may try to look into that.

I also echo the use of Power Service, or any other additive, they aid diesel life expectancy for many reasons.

Push starting might be interesting and challenging. I shy away from starter fluid (unless really in a bind), though I see big truck drivers using it regularly. An old diesel mechanic friend told me about putting a rag (wet with gasoline and wrung out) over the air intake to make diesel starting easier. I have done it twice over the years, worked both times. HE said it would not "wash off the cylinder walls like ether does."

The 1700 is an older design, mechanical injector pump machine. Sometimes takes awhile to get going, but once running will always work for you. A well warmed up engine will restart easily.
Bob

/ Ford 1700 & 1710 tractor parts #22  
"does that mean the pto will not operate when the tractor is stationary?"

JC-jetro said:
The answer is "yes... it will operate"... you can have the tractor stationary but have the PTO running by simply clutching the transmission, engaging the PTO lever and leaving the gear selection to "Neutral".. the range would not matter. Anytime you clutch you will stop the PTO rotation. The tractor does not need to be moving in this scenario.

That was why i brought up the ground speed pto.. because he asked if his pto would spin while stationary.. ( GS pto would not. ) I was not trying to imply that the 17xx had GS pto. etc.

Soundguy

/ Ford 1700 & 1710 tractor parts #23  
Get an old 0-60 ammeter and slap it inline with the gp.. and see if it draws 10-15 A when it is activated. yes.. you can have injectors rebuilt.. though you won't want to do it yourself.

Soundguy

JB4310 said:
O.K. Soundguy thanks that explains it, was kinda thinkin along those lines but was not sure.
So what's the best source for parts, besides the dealer? we have a new Holland dealer in town and I almost fell over when they quoted me for an new alternator, forgot how much, but it was a shock, had mine rebuilt for $160.00. they want like $60. or $80. for the flasher switch.

BWBROWN, is it common to have to use glow plugs to start for the first time in the day even in warm weather, now that it's getting cold it's a little harder, have to cycle the glow plugs, crank, start and run rough briefly, die and then do it over again 3-4 times. could it be injectors? there's 2600 hours on it, how many hours can you expect? if these are original injectors, once started it runs very smoothly. Can you clean and maintain injectors or is is it better to replace if old and high hours? any easy way to check glow plugs are both working? the element on the dash does get bright.
I want to bring this tractor up to reliable top shape since I may have to rely on it for back up power. thanks everyone.

/ Ford 1700 & 1710 tractor parts #24  
I'd be a bit concerned about a diesel that starts then stalls.. That usually only happens when there is a fuel issue. once she starts running.. if fuel and air are there.. the heat is already present from the previous pop off / compression.. no reason it should stall.. etc.

soundguy

/ Ford 1700 & 1710 tractor parts #25  
Soundguy said:
"does that mean the pto will not operate when the tractor is stationary?"

That was why i brought up the ground speed pto.. because he asked if his pto would spin while stationary.. ( GS pto would not. )

Soundguy

Soundguy,

We have not said anything contradictory to one another. You brought GS PTO to explain and I excluded it in my remark since 1700 never had it.

JC,:)

p.s . I always welcome your comments as I get to learn a lot specially when you put it in a such "small and economical wording package" unlike "your's truly":eek: :eek:

/ Ford 1700 & 1710 tractor parts #26  
Soundguy said:
I'd be a bit concerned about a diesel that starts then stalls.. That usually only happens when there is a fuel issue. once she starts running.. if fuel and air are there.. the heat is already present from the previous pop off / compression.. no reason it should stall.. etc.

soundguy

It will start, run for just a couple seconds roughly and then stall 3-4 times before it will stay running, once running it's smooth, this was after sitting outside overnight with temps in the low 20's.
I did put some power service in as JC recommended and sloshed it around and ran it a bit, but have not tried starting because now it's been above freezing the last couple of days. any other suggestions?
I did order the PTO genny last night, so I'm gonna go back to the thread I started on that subject with updates, I have a lot of other questions.

/ Ford 1700 & 1710 tractor parts #27  
I'd still be looking at a fuel issue unless something pointed me otherwise. like I said.. once a diesel makes enough heat to 'start' running.. then it has enough heat to stay running.. unless it's not getting fuel or air.

soundguy

/ Ford 1700 & 1710 tractor parts #28  
Well I don't think the air is the problem, so if it's fuel, could be dirty/fouled injectors? The fuel lines before the pump are the old braided style, one does look a little wet, maybe a slight defect that could be sucking air? or something that causes the high pressure side to loose it's prime and allow a little air in the lines when it's no running?

/ Ford 1700 & 1710 tractor parts #29  
Certainly... a soft line ( or hard line ) that had a pinhole on the suction side could suck air, and also appear wet.

Soft lines can also coma apart internally and colapse.. even under slight vacume the injector / lift pump could make.

If you can get her running.. I seldom see a diesel 'stall out' except for fuel.. or choke down due to air... Choking down due to air usually yeilds black smoke... starving out of fuel usually doesn't produce any extra smoke. ( no fuel to smoke! )

Soundguy

/ Ford 1700 & 1710 tractor parts #30  
This scares me alot. I just bought this ford 1710 and wanted a new seat assembly as mine is cracked. Looked on line and found some universal seat assemblies that may work. Stopped aat the local dealer and asked about getting the seat assembly. He called his supplier to get the exact part that was damaged and it was $536 :eek: just for the one part.

I have a 1710. I needed a seat and got 1 at Tactor Supply for $75. Nice seat. Adjustable spring tension for different size people. Arm rests. Just had to drill a couple of holes in the mount to make it work.

Broke the center out of 1 of the front wheels once and the local Ford tractor dealer wanted $275 for a new 12" rim. RIGHT!! I took the busted 1 to a machine shop and the cut a 1/4" plate and welded in the center - cut a new center and lugs. Charged me $70 and it will hold up a lot better than a normal rim.