Ford 1700 diesel starting issue

/ Ford 1700 diesel starting issue #1  

geozeitl

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700
Hello. First time post, Starting to have an issue with my Ford 1700 starting. Temp is 60 degrees out. Engine cranks over good and have exaust coming from the stack when
Turning it over but don't start. Tried glow plugs and still don't start. Plug in the block heater for 2 hours and it starts. Any reasoning behind this?

/ Ford 1700 diesel starting issue #2  
U said u tried the GP's.. have u tested them to see if they're any good.??
The easiest way is to take them out & put 12v to the top post & ground to the body..
They should get CHERRY RED in less than 10 seconds..
OH.. & make sure your getting voltage TO THEM when they're in the engine.. a test lite or multimeter is your friend.

/ Ford 1700 diesel starting issue
Thanks, did change the plugs last year and indicator shows its working. Will check the voltage at the plugs Thanks for the reply

/ Ford 1700 diesel starting issue #4  
I'm not sure what kind of indicator you have or how it shows the glow plugs are working but if it's the glowing coil thing it's for dropping the voltage to the plugs. It shows you have a current path, not that the plugs are working. When glow plugs fail the element usually shorts to ground. Current still flows but they no longer heat. Many glow plugs do not run on twelve volts but instead on 9.5 volts. The glowing resistor in older tractors drops the excess voltage. The low resistance of a glow plug makes them virtually impossible to check with an ohmmeter. If the plug is working and you connect a voltmeter to it expect to read nine to ten volts. If it's shorted you'll read zero as all the voltage is being dropped across the resistor. If either plug is shorted you will read zero at the other as well as they're wired in parallel.

Hey thanks for the info, it is the wire coil indicator. I will check when l get home from work

Just checked the indicator with a volt meter. I have 12 volts going to the indicator but nothing leaving to the plugs. Noticed small crack in the coil of the indicator. I think problem solved. Will order a new one and let you know. Thanks again

/ Ford 1700 diesel starting issue #7  
If you have twelve volts going in and the indicator glows you have current flow. If you have nothing going out it's because one or more glow plugs is shorted providing a ground path for the power. The crack is not your problem. You need one or more new glow plugs. If you disconnect the glow plugs and do not allow the wires to touch ground the indicator will not be illuminated because there is no longer a path to ground. I suspect the crack you found means nothing. If the indicator lights with the glow plugs disconnected your wire is shorted to ground somewhere between the indicator and the glow plugs.

Sounds good will check thanks again

Boy l feel stupid, l also checked the glow plugs on both cylinders and both are bad. I just changed them last year. I did notice that the very tips were burned right off. What would cause that?

/ Ford 1700 diesel starting issue #10  
Holding them on for extended periods of time.. & possibly some additive that your putting in your fuel at the wrong dilution.??