Ford 1700 diesel starting issue

/ Ford 1700 diesel starting issue
Thanks for all your expertise. Just a little new on the diesel engines thing

/ Ford 1700 diesel starting issue #22  
Maybe you didn’t realize it but if you need pump work thepumpguysc is your guy. He’s where I’d send mine just based upon the many good reports I’ve read here not to mention his willingness to help us here on the forum free of charge.

/ Ford 1700 diesel starting issue #23  
Thanks for all your expertise. Just a little new on the diesel engines thing

I do not have a clue as to the failure mode of the pumps, but I know mine started consuming oil. I set a reminder to check it periodically, changed the oil frequently, and was glad I did. Just sayin, Dean

Thanks dean, were you talking about the injector pump. There is no window to check the fluid in the pump

/ Ford 1700 diesel starting issue #25  
Thanks dean, were you talking about the injector pump. There is no window to check the fluid in the pump
You are correct, no level check windows. There are two screws on the accessible side of pump, one may be a 8 mm bolt that are the drain and fill points. My manual called out using engine oil to refill until it overflows the fill point. I have a large hypodermic I used to fill it, or small funnel. Does not take much oil. Search the forum as I think someone posted photos, may be be wrong. Cheap insurance to drain and fill yearly, but mine had its level dropping some so required more frequent checking. Dean

/ Ford 1700 diesel starting issue #26  
You are correct, no level check windows. There are two screws on the accessible side of pump, one may be a 8 mm bolt that are the drain and fill points. My manual called out using engine oil to refill until it overflows the fill point. I have a large hypodermic I used to fill it, or small funnel. Does not take much oil. Search the forum as I think someone posted photos, may be be wrong. Cheap insurance to drain and fill yearly, but mine had its level dropping some so required more frequent checking. Dean

An oil can works good to fill it.

How long are you cranking it when it doesn't start? These 2 cylinders seem to take longer when it is colder. I usually hold the GP until the coil glows bright red, then hold for about wait 15-30 sec depending on outside temperature. My 1700 will start in any temperature with the GP's working.

There are some additives out there for cold weather too, but 60 deg isn't that cold.

How is the battery? Is it turning over fast enough?

And, where do you keep the throttle? I usually do about half throttle.

Did try the glowplug for a longer period and didn't get any better results. Removed the fuel injectors and having them rebuilt. Not sure if they where ever worked on before but just doing the process of elimination to find this problem

/ Ford 1700 diesel starting issue #28  
Did try the glowplug for a longer period and didn't get any better results. Removed the fuel injectors and having them rebuilt. Not sure if they where ever worked on before but just doing the process of elimination to find this problem

Probably money well spent on rebuilding the injectors, given the age. I'm looking into doing that on a gasoline 76 Eldorado, and the price was cheap. My understanding is that they don't really do much when rebuilding injectors, but ultrasonic cleaning and minor replacements. If it always started before with your regular process, obviously something else is going on.

Rereading the thread, I did not see where you cracked open the nut ahead of the injector and verified fuel was flowing to the injector, maybe I missed that. Whether that proves adequate pressure is another thing.

I had setup a notification on Ebay for items for the 1700, given the scarcity of parts. I thought I saw someone was selling the injector pump re-manufactured on Ebay, but could be wrong.

Parts was one reason I traded it in, but mainly due to no power steering and I hated the ergonomics with size 14 shoes as I'm getting older. It was a **** for stout tractor and suffered fools gladly (me). I abused it out of ignorance (being my first tractor) with a three point backhoe, and never had any issues in that regard. If I did that on my Kioti or any other new tractor in this size category, I'd void the warranty I'm sure. I only had issues with the steering sector (Ebay), but that was due to a tree falling on it with a previous owner. And replaced the water pump (Ebay).

Great tractor! Forgive the ramblings, Dean

Hi Dean, l do have fuel going to the injectors with cracking the nut. While getting the injectors rebuilt l did another compression test and have 390 on both sides which l think is very good. I don't have power steering either, it would be nice. I do like the tractor though. The body is in nice shape. Motor seemed to lack power when using my tiller or cutter, hoping the injectors will make a difference

Got the injectors installed today. After bleeding the system and a few cranks finally turn over. I noticed no more engine knock and an idle speed of 800 rpm, before LTE would die out about 1000rpm. Also alot more power than before. A little smokey though. Wonder if its diesel in the oil from all the times before cranking and cranking? Thanks for all your expertise everyone