Ford 3000???? Problems

/ Ford 3000???? Problems
Will do the air filter tonight and still haven't seen my compression adapter yet

Semper Fidelis - Freedom isn't free, to see the cost visit your local VA

/ Ford 3000???? Problems #12  
. . . 4m of cranking? my worst nag starts in under a minute and that's me cursing and waving arms alot.

do a comp test.. post back

won't hurt to service the air fitler.. however.. if oil bath.. i rarely see em plug up enough to prevent air flow... unless it has a birdsnest in it I guess.

post back what you find in the air cleaner.
Chris,
Can you post a video of yourself cranking that tractor. Although the real thing probably wouldn't be as funny as the mental picture that I have of you right now. :laughing:

I have seen old oil bath filters so clogged that nothing gets through. There will be what looks like asphalt in the pan. :eek:

I'm also interested to see what kind of results he get on the compression test.

/ Ford 3000???? Problems #13  
i've seen some with enough emulsified oil and water and leaves to restrict flow.. but usually the design is such that the up pipe is clear once oil is suckeed up into filter media fully... I suppose if it had tar in it and sat it would plug. I've seen a diesel with inner and outter fitler plugged so bad that is sucked the plastic ducting on t he intake in.. :)

the nag I had (have) was a semi basket case that I had mostly disassembled and need to start to check oil pressure after some work.

bat was off and no wires and whatnot.. so it was sort of a chinese fire drill to hook up the bat with jump cables and screwdrver the solenoid and then work the choke and throttle butterflies by hand as I had all the linkages off.. :) then after about 30 seconds I realized it of course had no spark plug wires, cap, rotor or points in the dizzy.. :) thus the waving arms and cursing.. :)

/ Ford 3000???? Problems #14  
i've seen some with enough emulsified oil and water and leaves to restrict flow.. but usually the design is such that the up pipe is clear once oil is suckeed up into filter media fully... I suppose if it had tar in it and sat it would plug. I've seen a diesel with inner and outter fitler plugged so bad that is sucked the plastic ducting on t he intake in.. :)
Yep, I've seen dry elements that were so full of dirt that they were literally heavy. Also seen collapsed intake ducts. Usually by then, it's too late. Already sucked dirt into the engine. :(

the nag I had (have) was a semi basket case that I had mostly disassembled and need to start to check oil pressure after some work.

bat was off and no wires and whatnot.. so it was sort of a chinese fire drill to hook up the bat with jump cables and screwdrver the solenoid and then work the choke and throttle butterflies by hand as I had all the linkages off.. :) then after about 30 seconds I realized it of course had no spark plug wires, cap, rotor or points in the dizzy.. :) thus the waving arms and cursing.. :)
I still want to see that video!!! :D

/ Ford 3000???? Problems #15  
lucky for me.. no evidence. :)

I had her down and all on stands.. front end off and rear whels off.. pretty much bare chassis.. no seat or tins.. looked naked. forgot I had taken dizzy down too.

at least i DID have a 1qt lawnmower gas tank hooked to the carb.. :)

/ Ford 3000???? Problems
so I looked in the air filter... it does not have an oil bath. It is a round paper and metal tube type air filter same amount of suction at the filter as the end of the manifold aas far as I can tell by lacing hand over both. I also added, get this it must have had a leak, 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid not including the two gallons yeterday to get it up to full on the stem. I fired it up in about 10 seconds 1 shot of starting fluid.I would say maybe 1 second total shot. it is runnign stronger than yesterday and now I believe I have a hydraulic issue as the valve body on the loader was hot as a pistol. it is also under load both lifting and lowerin the bucket so I think I have either stuck valve or one of the lines is crossed. no grey or white smoke this time at start up, just straight black. it is acting alot better. Also after filling the hydraulic fluid I now have power steering.

New tires are very nice especially with the power steering. I also did a bit work on the three point hitch replacing the 1/4 clevis turnbuckle 1/4 clevis sway setup with a 3/8 hardened clevis and 7 links of 3/8 70 grade hardened chain and another 3/8 hardened clevis. lubed evey zert i could find on the frontend as well. I am changing out the transmission and rear end fluid in the morning ater a quick trip to the parts store. and then fitting my 451 sickle bar mower on it and going mowing. think it may be knocking crud loose just by running it. no change in water level or oil level after two hours running today and the 4 hours a couple days ago.

for serial numbers the only numbers I can find on flat part above and left of the starter are as follows:

6c311 6c341 or 6c541 or 6c511 on the raised rounded portion above the flat spot

the flat spot has in the following layout:

5012G
138473 6E10

that is the best I can see it is all clear other than the one above the flat spot listed above.

I am actually quite happy with the way the tracor is working out. things seem to getting better I will check compression once my freaking adapter gets here. well off to bed.

/ Ford 3000???? Problems #17  
need to see some pics of this machine. a few things not adding up here.

/ Ford 3000???? Problems
Upon further review...... I took charcoal and rubbed it on top of the tabs the numbers are as follows

5C 315
-----------------------------
5021G
C138473 6E10

/ Ford 3000???? Problems
So here are some pictures with out the hood off

Attachments

• image-3311024058.jpg
    image-3311024058.jpg
    667.5 KB · Views: 254
  • image-4099954153.jpg
    image-4099954153.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 311
  • image-493353128.jpg
    image-493353128.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 253
  • image-83500809.jpg
    image-83500809.jpg
    765.5 KB · Views: 305
   / Ford 3000???? Problems #20  
well.. she ain't a 3000.

gear reduction rear ... and wet brakes.

heavy front bolster.. and that front axle ain't the 1939 design.. looks like some sort of industrial. I'm not up on all the 4 digit and 3 digit industrial variants.. but could be some sort of 3 digit industrial. front axle is deffinately not the ld fixed.. or the adjustable hd of a 4000 or a adjustable ld on a 39-65 00/01/2000/3000

a 445 is what really comes to mind... especially looking at front and back axle.

might want to bring in whodat and rickb on this.