Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck
Beagdog,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I love the way this engine runs now, I just hope it stays that way.

Deerlope,
Where does that 30% buy back figure come from? I wouldn’t think that is something Ford would let out. And the local service managers saying it’s not as bad as has been hyped. Are they flat out lying? I would say if that 30% is correct, then it has been BAD.

Cerberus,
It sounds like a real crap shoot. Seems you have done pretty well so far. Another thing that strikes me as strange is how almost everyone who writes about getting their computer reflashed complains about it making the engine run worse and lower fuel mileage than before, but people with newer trucks with that flash factory installed don’t complain. Could it be that all the dealers and not doing it properly? Surely not.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #12  
The 30% comes from surfing the net and as you know Ford has now slipped to the # 3 auto maker and it was mostly because of that new 6.0 diesel. Please don't misunderstand me cause I am a Ford lover, been driving an "88" F-250 diesel for 14 years now and have kept it well maintained. It has 188K on the odmeter now and counting. Ford paid International around 170 million to devlope that 6.0 and they (IH) was not quite finished with it when Ford dropped them. It will be a good engine when they get all the bugs out. Now only did Ford have engine problems in 03 they also had diff. seal problems. When that 6.0 is running correctly it will HAUL.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #13  
You mentioned ford and ih together. A few years ago didn't ford buy out cummins at the time they were being used in dodge pickups? What became of that deal because I thought cummins are still in the dodge trucks but I could be totally wrong here.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #14  
Yea and surfing the internet just gets you further from the truth. Ford is #2 not #3. And it's not because of the 6.0. The 6.0 is still outselling Dodge and Chevy combined 2 to 1. And the buyback was not 30% but 3%. A 30% buyback would bankrupt any company. Also IH was running the 6.0 in the commercial division for 2 years before it ever came out in the pickups. IH was done with it. The problem was in the software interface and cramped compartment of the pickup. The reflashes have been a problem because of exhaust issues. With the stringent govt. regulations it is very tough. The commercial trucks don't have the same restrictions.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #15  
Ford had about 7% of cumins some years back and was sold a few years back.

Egon

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #16  
cowboydoc
I am not here to argue with anyone.Just passing on what I have read. Where does your info come from?

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #17  
The 3% buyback is from the dispute settlement board. They are the ones that hear the cases on this for Ford. They are independent and in no way affected by Ford so I do believe their numbers. The fact that IH had the 6.0 in the commercial application is common knowledge. It has been reported in numerous literature that I have recieved from IH as well as seeing the trucks long before the motor was in the ford trucks. The 2 to 1 numbers are I believe from JD Power and Associates. My information on the trucks comes from the Ford regional engineer for our area who has been a longtime friend of our family. He is responsible for all the problems with trucks in a four state area so he knows what's going on with them. He was always upfront about any problems.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also IH was running the 6.0 in the commercial division for 2 years before it ever came out in the pickups. IH was done with it. )</font>

Here's a link you might find interesting. http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/engine/vt365detail.asp

International--Navistar still puts the 6.0 in their trucks, 4200 series exclusively.

For some reason they rate theirs at 175 to 230 horsepower. I imagine it's the same logic the high performance chip makers have about warnings to not turn the power up if it involves carrying a load. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #19  
I test drove a 6.0, F-350 SuperCab Longbed today. Great torgue and fairly smooth shifting from the 5 speed auto transmission. It was also surprisingly quiet once you got up to speed.

I'm just about sold. Just got to find a short bed...Can't squeeze the LB in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #20  
I only have 2k on my '04 250 PSD, and have not even had a chance to tow with it yet. It is very smooth and quiet, and for highway only driving I am getting 19mpg. Can't say I cared for the tires that came with it, though. I had them replaced with Michelins.