Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #21  
I had a 89 F250 7.3L and now have a 93
F250 7.3L diesel. I find the old reliable Navistar to be very anemic. They run fine until you pull a load or gain altitude (about 5000'). I hauled 50 trees in a trailer today, a total weight of about 7500lbs and even the slight grade near my place dropped me to 45 mph on a 65 mph freeway. It's pretty embarrassing especially when a new Ford or Dodge pulling a massive recreational trailer blows by me doing 65 or 70 mph. I get the feeling they are rubbing it in. On the other hand, I bought it used for probably 1/6 th of what they paid new so it's a little of give and take. On the other hand they get speed, probably better mpg and without a doubt, a quieter setup. Be it Dodge, Ford or GM, I should think any would be an iimprovement over my poor anemic beast. It's tempting, but I'll wait until nice used one comes along.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #22  
I think you're comparing apples to oranges when looking at the new Powerstroke 6.0 liter and the pre Powerstroke 7.3 liter. I have a '97 7.3 Powerstroke and am amazed at the power it has. The heaviest load I have pulled is a 24' enclosed car hauler and car weighing about 6000 lbs through the mountains. It never even seemed to struggle. Now I have heard things about the pre Powerstrokes being anemic but I don't think you'll find much of a difference between the latter 7.3 Powerstroke, which I believe started production sometime in '94, and the new 6.0.........except it's quieter.

To get info on my 7.3 I frequent this site: Ford Trucks. They have separate sections for each of the three generations of Ford diesels. There do seem to be a bunch of people having serious trouble with the new engine on that board. But since many of the people who use that board are there because they have a problem it's hard to tell if it's any more common among the 6.0 than a typical new engine offering.

Jeff

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( heard things about the pre Powerstrokes being anemic but I don't think you'll find much of a difference between the latter 7.3 Powerstroke, which I believe started production sometime in '94, and the new 6.0.........except it's quieter )</font>

One of my brothers is pulling a 38' fifth-wheel travel trailer, 2 slide-outs, with a '95 Powerstroke and is very happy with its performance. I've forgotten what the rig weighs (he showed me the weight tickets), but it's over 26,000 pounds.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #24  
RE: Diesel Truck Forums

Several years ago I asked the service manager of the dealership where my truck was purchased on how long the auto should last.

His first comment was " you've been reading the truck forums haven't you " Then there were some more comments on the reliability of some of the information on the forums.

End result I left a happy person.

Egon

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #25  
Richard I think the info you are getting is a little skewed. That is really to be expected from any corporation that gets in this big of a pickle. No matter what the actual number or percent it has certainly been enough to make them redesign the injectors. In fact their has been enough buy backs and problems to initiate class action lawsuits as well as get some main stream media attention. Correct me if I am wrong but in the past you said you had one bought back from you. Replacing injectors and tearing down a engine might not be a big deal to you but to others being without their truck for weeks while you wait on parts and repairs can be a very big deal.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #26  
I'll hold to my original advice after reading all these posts. I don't think anyone will deny that Ford may have released the 6.0 prematurely. IH/Navistar had used the engine a couple of years and had many miles of testing on it, but as was stated, when the proprietary Ford software changes were made, it wasn't the same engine anymore. Thats the difference electronics make, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

The dealer I have purchased from for years sells the largest number of Ford light trucks in this part of the country. I recently asked the owner how many "buy backs" Ford had done for his customers. His answer? None. He had bought one back, the first 6.0 he had received, from a customer, just to keep him as a customer. He has sold over 500 of the 6.0's since that one, I think that is a pretty low repurchase percentage.

Bottom line still is enjoy the truck, keep a good relationship with your dealer, and don't ask for trouble when there may never be any. Keep us posted on how you get along. I'm always interested in hearing the true story.

I've attached a picture of my '04 6.0 Excursion and my '99 7.3 SuperDuty.

Attachments

• 386840-MVC-003X (512 x 384).jpg
    386840-MVC-003X (512 x 384).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 116
   / Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #27  
If you still have questions about your truck or need advice, one of the best sites on Ford trucks, I believe, is Ford Truck World. It is a GREAT place and a GREAT source of information. I've been a memeber over there for a long time now. You can check out their site here:

Ford Truck World aka FTW Trucks

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #28  
I do believe the info. Dave. As far as the one I had bought back it was a 2001 7.3. I was without my truck a total of 8 hours while they replaced my injectors. And yes it does matter to me.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #29  
Richard you always seem to get the best deals. I never know what to think of you other than to say you are one lucky son of a gun. You had a tractor bought back and got the red carpet treatment. That's great news and good for you. The same with a truck ! You are the only person I know of that has been through a buy back and is still happy with the company. If it only took 8 hours for you to get new injectors I can see why you might have a distorted view and think this is no big deal. A lot of guys that are having injector failure are not so lucky. A lot of dealerships no longer have specialized diesel techs and a heckuva a lot more sure do not have a spare set of injectors and fuel return lines setting on the shelf. If they do it should be a good indicator of just how many they replace. No manufacturer is going to have buy backs to this extent, redesign a injector and cover all of those expenses over a 3% failure rate. 3% is a nominal failure rate IMO and I have certainly been reading much larger numbers in very reliable places. The actual number is really kind of moot. The biggest fear for most is what happens when a $6,000 fuel system fails just out side of warranty ? I think it is significant that Ford has slipped from #1 to #2. That is a BIG deal and most of that is fall out from the injectors and Firestone fiasco. It all boils down to consumer confidence. I think we all need to remember that both Ford and GM in the past have decided it was a better financial move to let people burn to death in their defective vehicles and settle the claims Vs paying the recall/retool/refit fees. It was simply a matter of what was most cost effective for them. The Ford Crown Victoria police cruisers are the most recent example of that. Their is simply no way I could ever be convinced that based on a unknown source you have "reliable" failure numbers that are vastly lower than every one else is reporting.

/ Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Truck #30  
Dave,

If you read my post my #'s are not from some unknown source. Those #'s are straight from the dsb board that hears the cases and does the buybacks. They are completely independent of Ford. So yes I do believe their #'s. As far as the injectors it was an o-ring problem. It was not a completely new design. It was one batch of injectors from a supplier. It was not even a Ford problem!!! It was their supplier that dropped the ball. And what were all the problems you had with your brand new duramax??? Yes all trucks and cars have their problems at times. And especially so with a completely new design. I won't even go into all the problems that Chevy had with the original introduction of the duramax. That doesn't mean it isn't a good machine but their were teething pains there as well.