Ford and Powerstroke Engines

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #21  
As a 2005 F350 6.0 PSD owner with a pending lemon-law suit against Ford, I can provide a real experience with the problem. I purchased my $50,000 truck for one purpose, to tow a 24ft 8,000lb trailer cross country 10 times a year. In my first year of ownership, the F350 left me stranded 3 times and nearly killed my fellow interstate travelers each time. Ford says the truck doesn't have a problem, even though it was towed to a Ford dealer each time. Last Ford I ever buy.

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #22  
In their medium duty truck line, IH lists the VT365 engine with 230 HP and 620 ft lbs of torque. Is that the same 6.0 they sell to Ford or is it designed differently and built for heavier useage? The Ford pick-up line is cranking out a lot more hp and around the same or less torque.

I wonder if some of the reported problems are from too much stress on the engine with too much turbo boost causing the increased hp and increased problems.

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #23  
BrianW said:
Ford keeps this up and no one will want to partner with them!
Combined with the general boycott of Ford by consumers because of Ford's homosexual agenda :confused:, this issue could end up costing them major market share. I own two Powerstrokes, a F350 for towing my horse trailer and a F250 Excursion for general use. Even though I've been a Ford man for decades, I'll never buy another and I've told them so.

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #24  
Are you refusing to buy another Ford because of this ad campaign overseas or because you are having problems with your Ford products?

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #25  
Robert_in_NY said:
Are you refusing to buy another Ford because of this ad campaign overseas or because you are having problems with your Ford products?
It's a little bit of both. While I understand the need to market to a diverse group of potential customers, I am not overly happy with their active promotion of the homosexual lifestyle by contributing non-advertising $$ to groups that promote the gay lifestyle into the mainstream. I have also had several issues with their products, but to be honest, that isn't the driving force behind my decision. I spent a significant amount of time in the SF gay community and I'm certainly not a homophobe. My objection to Ford's position is rooted in their departure from a focus on quality vehicles and an corporate emphasis on social reform, as seen through thier eyes.

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #26  
Joe1 said:
In their medium duty truck line, IH lists the VT365 engine with 230 HP and 620 ft lbs of torque. Is that the same 6.0 they sell to Ford or is it designed differently and built for heavier useage? The Ford pick-up line is cranking out a lot more hp and around the same or less torque.

I wonder if some of the reported problems are from too much stress on the engine with too much turbo boost causing the increased hp and increased problems.

Yes it is the same motor. As far as longevity It could be. Head gaskets are an issue as well as the hi pressure fuel injection system.
As far as I know they have fixed most 05-06 models but some seem to still have issues.

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #27  
I have to aree with k6dyc.

IMO, Ford has lost sight of it's primary business purpose of building quality American vehicles the public actually wants to buy. I was in the market for a new vehicle in November and looked at Ford, Mercury and Lincoln and a lot of other makes. Many Ford, Mercury and Lincoln models are built in Mexico. So much for American cars. The sales manager at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership told me not to buy a new Lincoln Town Car or Mercury Grand Marquis because I could buy a one or two year lease return with 20,000 miles for about 50 - 60% of the cost of a new one. Add on their political support for groups I won't support makes it a no brainer decision. I wouldn't take my car to a repair facility owned, run and staffed by Mexicans in Mexico that do not speak English, so why would I buy one from the same place.

Built in Mexico for many models and crappy resale is a good reason not to buy. I ended up with a Nissan built in Tennessee. Time will tell if it's as good as my last one.

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #28  
Many Ford, Mercury and Lincoln models are built in Mexico

Like most manufacturers today, different models are made in different places around the world. Yes, some of the Fords come from Mexico, I have a Ford minivan from Canada and a Ford Ranger made in the USA.

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #29  
Sure glad that I only have 84k miles on my '02 7.3l PSD..... got another 216 thousand to go I hope :)

The 6.9's and 7.3's have an awsome track record for reliability. A bit less torque, but plenty of pulling power indeed.

~paul

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #30  
Paul,

You sure you do not want to sell your truck to me? That is EXACTLY what I am looking for in my next truck! Just saying NO to 6.0 and 6.4. The torque and HP can easily be fixed.

My 1997 has nearly 240k. The engine is fine but the rust is getting to it in spots.