Ford F150-I'm Done.

/ Ford F150-I'm Done. #21  
Eddie,

I had an almost identical experience with brake pads. Also, be aware that on the F150 one brake pad is slightly different from the other. One has a little hump, one does not. If not correctly installed it will rub.

To all who asked: The electric steering went out at 65K miles, Ford said "sorry, out of warranty". This is a truck that is bone stock, never been in high water etc. OK, chalk it up to bad luck. The repair was a little under $1800 but I paid $150 to have it towed to the dealer as it was unsafe to drive. Then the A/C went out. I charged it a few times until it would no longer hold a charge. Our winter has been extremely warm so I finally caved and got the A/C fixed. The evap coil under the dash (the expensive one) went out.

Spark plugs had to be changed out as well. I later found out that the ecoboost needs much more frequent spark plug changes. The fuel mileage has always been lower than advertised although the truck does have great power.

The truck is also making some kind of weird grinding noise when you turn sharply at low speed and today the brakes somehow locked up.

Same thing happened to my buddy's company truck steering. I want to say about $1800. Then the wheel cylinders, brakes and intermittent short.
The dealer knew about the short. Apparently a relay or something in the electrical fuse box gets hot and not held in place, they switch it to a spare location.

/ Ford F150-I'm Done. #22  
The truck is also making some kind of weird grinding noise when you turn sharply at low speed.

Our ego-boost has the same issue.
I think the only good thing about the boosts is the power and slightly better mpg, I love the v8 in my 2012, and would have no problem driving to Alaska and back with it. the thought of trying that in our '11 ecoboost scares me.
these ego-boost's have quite a few more known issues than the v8.

/ Ford F150-I'm Done. #23  
I have a 2000 GMC SIERRA gasser with a 4.8
When it's not in the woods or on dirt roads it's dragging a trailer. 182,000 hard miles regular maintenance fluids, brake pads and tires oh and a after market transmission cooler. Other than that this one still looks and drives excellent with everything still functional Ac, gauges, power windows etc. I think even if or when it starts giving me trouble I'll keep it rather than trade up. I too had problems with a Ford I bought a 01 F 150 with the 5.4 modular engine. At little over 38k in tank fuel pump went out. Right after it spit a plug out of the poorly designed 4 thread aluminum heads that Ford claimed no responsibility for but were the original plugs, miraculously in 03 they changed to 8 thread............

Nosurprise IMG_20161211_153025278.jpg

/ Ford F150-I'm Done. #24  
The way they put a ranger together is like stuffing a 100lbs of crap in a 50lb sack!.

/ Ford F150-I'm Done. #25  
I've got a little over 90,000 miles with 40,000 miles towing (estimating in my head from my trailer towing miles on everything) and I'm still on my original brakes. My truck is a 2011 3.5L job ticket 2 truck.

Neggles are the electric compressor that Ford changed out in later years to eliminate but screws up so much that Ford quietly extended the warranty on it out to 150,000 miles.

I drilled a hole in the intercooler to keep the engine from swallowing slugs of water and hydro locking. Ford cannot do this because of the EPA, but all turbo used to have drain holes in their intercoolers for the same reason.

The engine has two known problems that are now resolved in the 2017 redesign of the entire engine. The first is timing chain stretch that is $3000 buck you will not get back when it happens and the second is the high pressure fuel pump seal failing and dumping gas right into the oil pan.

Other than these things the truck has been pretty good.

Timing chain stretch ... interesting. Tell me more. My '09 V10 has a tick or slap at idle however with a few RPM's it goes away. A couple of mechanics have assured me the noise is coming from the top end of the engine and not the bottom. Lucas oil stabilizer made it much quieter on last oil change.

/ Ford F150-I'm Done. #26  
My wife has a 13 f150 fx4 with the ecoboost. First road trip it got 22 mpg, now it's consistently 16-16.5. Now hade 77k miles on it. No probs to speak of but she doesn't like it anymore so she's getting my 13 f250 Powerstroke when my new truck comes in. She's happy and I'm happy. I don't know what it is about the 150 but I don't really like it anymore either. We're both paranoid there going to be something wrong with it

Brett

/ Ford F150-I'm Done. #27  
I don't want to say anything about my trouble-free 2006 5.4L F150. OH CRAP! Where is the wood??? :eek:

/ Ford F150-I'm Done. #30  
Yep, tough road through the SEC

Hardly. More like Bama and a bunch of average teams.

aTm hasn't won a conference title since the 90's, every road is tough for them.