Ford Offers V10 in F650/750

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #2  
Glad they are keeping it in something. Its been a winner for them. The article says it actually available in the 450 through the 750.

Chris

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #3  
That engine struggles to get 8-10 mpg in a 7k lb pickup truck. I can only imagine what it will do in a 12k+ lb class 6 or 7 truck. :laughing:

So you get 450lb.ft of torque but not until after 3250 rpms, no engine braking, 10 spark plugs to change (if they don't seize), half the engine life (probably even less considering how hard that engine will be working), less resale, and horrible gas mileage... At least it will get a 6-speed tranny with live PTO.
I can see offering it in the F-450/F-550 but that's it.

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #4  
That engine struggles to get 8-10 mpg in a 7k lb pickup truck. I can only imagine what it will do in a 12k+ lb class 6 or 7 truck. :laughing:

I gotta call B.S. on that statement. May be true when towing, but I average about 13 mpg in my '08 F-250.

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #6  

So you get 450lb.ft of torque but not until after 3250 rpms, no engine braking, 10 spark plugs to change (if they don't seize), half the engine life (probably even less considering how hard that engine will be working), less resale, and horrible gas mileage... At least it will get a 6-speed tranny with live PTO.
I can see offering it in the F-450/F-550 but that's it.

While definately not a premium medium duty engine by any stretch of the imagination, I would not be so quick to bash this move. There are still lots of old F600's running around these parts with 370 gassers under the hood, getting the job done every day,instead of the 6.8 british diesels they could also be had with. Beleive me, That V10 would feel like a 855 Cummins compared to those old 370's.

I also would be willing to bet that the price difference between a V10 750 and a new cow p!$$ diesel will sell a few gassers all by itself. IMHO, we will also begin to see more gasoline engines offered once again in construction and agricultural equipment as the manufacturers struggle to fit all of the diesel emissions crap into pavers, rollers, skidsteers, compact tractors ,etc. Not to mention still trying to keep prices inline with what the consumer can justify paying.

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #7  
I gotta call B.S. on that statement. May be true when towing, but I average about 13 mpg in my '08 F-250.

I second that. My uncle had a 03 F-250 4x4 and now a 05 F-350 4x4. His later one has 4.30 gears and pulls like a mule. It averages 12mpg. I think is 03 F-250 had 4.10 gears and got about the same but it had less power back then.

I agree with Dmace on all the other facts but the reality is it all comes down to cost of admission and how it will be used. Heck, I have access to 3 dump trucks, all with 22,000 to 26,000# GVWR's. 2 are GM's and one has a strait 6 and the other a 350. The third is a is a Ford with a 391. While none will win a race they all get the job done on the cheap.

Chris

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #8  
Glad they are keeping it in something. Its been a winner for them. The article says it actually available in the 450 through the 750.

Chris
That was my understanding from other articles also. The CNG option would be nice for a farm truck if you could get a 400 mile range per filling.

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #9  
While definately not a premium medium duty engine by any stretch of the imagination, I would not be so quick to bash this move. There are still lots of old F600's running around these parts with 370 gassers under the hood, getting the job done every day,instead of the 6.8 british diesels they could also be had with. Beleive me, That V10 would feel like a 855 Cummins compared to those old 370's.

I also would be willing to bet that the price difference between a V10 750 and a new cow p!$$ diesel will sell a few gassers all by itself. IMHO, we will also begin to see more gasoline engines offered once again in construction and agricultural equipment as the manufacturers struggle to fit all of the diesel emissions crap into pavers, rollers, skidsteers, compact tractors ,etc. Not to mention still trying to keep prices inline with what the consumer can justify paying.

Do you think that might be why they don't want it to compete with the new diesel engine in the F350's?

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #10  
Since the f450 is coming in pickup version for 2011, I wonder if it would be available in that....or just a commercial application?