Ford Offers V10 in F650/750

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #21  
If I were in the market I would grab one of those SRW F-350's with the V-10 in a 4x4 with 4.30 gears. Its the end of a era of big displacement, low end grunt making gas engines. I would settle for 4.10's but would prefer the 4.30's like my uncle has in his 2005. I would pass if it were a F-250, just too much difference in payload handling between the 250/350. My uncles is a pulling machine. No match for my diesels but one heck of a gas truck.

Chris

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #22  
Having owned and driven an F600 dump with the 370 I whole-heartedly agree with that comment.:thumbsup:

The V-10 is used in many large RVs I see in my travels, so it must be doing something right. A 24-28' long RV is very similar in weight to medium duty trucks.

I have found 3 2010 CC SRW 350 4x4 long beds with V10s on lots. I am really thinking about pulling the trigger as I really like the power needed to pull heavy trailers on occaision. Definately bummed about discontinuation in the F350.:mad:

This would be my 5th one and never had a plug spit.

I had a 99 Dual rear wheel F-350 4x4 reg cab with the V 10 and 4:30's. Mine spit number 10 at around 85k. That being said, I still regard that truck as one of my all time favorite vehicles as all in all it was realy good to me.

It has been around 7 years since I had to put a KD spark plug thread insert in number 10 of my V10 [no room to work on that plug] , and I still twitch when I rehash that bad memory, LOL .

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #23  
Its the end of a era of big displacement, low end grunt making gas engines.
I don't know if I would call it the end of big displacement gas engines. That V10 is "only" 6.8l. Ford and GM's new V8 gas engines are both 6.2l so besides the two extra pistons, they are pretty close in size. It will just take some more design time to make that power lower in the rpm range in the V8's.

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #24  
I don't know if I would call it the end of big displacement gas engines. That V10 is "only" 6.8l. Ford and GM's new V8 gas engines are both 6.2l so besides the two extra pistons, they are pretty close in size. It will just take some more design time to make that power lower in the rpm range in the V8's.

Without getting into a argument here as we seem to do the problem with the big V8 engines, and the V-10 in this case, with long strokes is they are emissions dirty. They can not meet emissions, plain and simple. The smaller high revving engines like the 5.7 Hemi, the GM 6.0, and the Ford 6.2 are able to meet the emissions standards so that is the way all the manufactures are leaning.

Its a real shame because the GM 8.1 and the Ford and Dodge V-10 were tough as nails with tons of grunt. I also feel this was done to make the difference between the gas and diesel greater. I am sure if the big gas engines were not available the diesel sales would have been much higher. The big gas engines just made so much sense for the casual user that hauled the tractor a few times a year, pushed snow in the winter, or took the camper for summer vacation.

Chris

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #25  
I have an old C65 with a gas 366 in it. great old engine that as said earlier delivers the load cheaply maybe not fast but cheap truck that just works. i think the key on the success of this or any gas engine will be what the gearing options are. either a 2 speed rear end that people hate and try to avoid or maybe a 9 speed. with enough gears a gas engine does fine. i know i would hate mine without a 2 speed rear end. but at the same time i hate splitting gears.

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #26  
My 2001 GMC K3500 dually has the 8.1L and the 5-speed Allison. It will get 9 mpg empty on the average, it has gotten 12 mpg strictly highway, for what I use it for everyday, it gets 5 mpg, towing my 14K lb mobile shop. 2001 was the first year for the Duramax. I needed a truck and wanted the Allison. I was not willing to buy the Duramax for fear of a possible learning curve for GM. My truck has almost 200K on it now, I had the engine and transmission rebuilt at 165K because I wanted to be sure it was going to up to the task of pulling 14K lbs everyday. I wish I had the Duramax, since they ended up having very few issues. Rebuilding the 8.1 was expensive, there are no aftermarket parts, everything was custom or dealer only. But, it does pull the weight.

Brian

26046_114374201923470_110535692307321_184092_2224085_n.jpg

When it is time, I'm thinking K4500 with the Duramax. I have to pay off the trailer first, and the wife's Hybrid Camry.

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #27  
Nice setup but ouch to the 5 mpg. I thought my uncle was doing bad pulling his old boat at around 15,000# behind his V-10 F-350 with 4.30 gears getting 8 mpg.

Chris