Ford Offers V10 in F650/750

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #11  
Since the f450 is coming in pickup version for 2011, I wonder if it would be available in that....or just a commercial application?

I believe it just the Cab & Chassis.

Hasn't the F450 been available as a pickup for a while now?

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #12  
I believe it just the Cab & Chassis.

Hasn't the F450 been available as a pickup for a while now?

Not sure....but just by looking at one of the threads here on "2011 superduty's" I noticed they are available, first I knew of it.
I wonder what it would take you to convince a dealer to convince Ford to swap in a V10 if you were gonna spend big money on a pickup.....?? hmmmm!

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #13  
F450 has been available for a while as a pickup... looked at a new 2009 or 2010 on a lot a year ago, I was surprised it was actually lower set than an F250/F350 (and much lower than a chassis cab straight frame). I did not look too closely, perhaps the box was shallower-- the F150 has a very deep box for instance, dealer told me that people wanted deeper boxes so the mfg makes them that way.

If I was going to buy more than a 350 though, I'd rather pay the extra for a 550 than just go for a 450. The only incentive for a 450 would be to have the factory box vs. a flatbed or custom upfitter box for a 550... might be why there's a box on the 450 and not 550... (there are probably also some subset of people who want to squeeze up to the CDL weight and the 550 would push them over and the 450 wouldn't. I see almost no 450s around, 150, 350, 250, 550, 450).

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #14  
One of the big benefits of diesels was not only power and fuel economy in the past but diesel was significantly cheaper before the fuel industry started trying to see just how much we were willing to pay for fuel. Now gas is cheaper at the pump and the big v 10 is pretty strong, the last 2 or 3 ford diesels were plagued with problems. If only they could have kept the 7.3

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #15  
I see almost no 450s around, 150, 350, 250, 550, 450).

I've seen quite a few, in my searches for a small dump truck. I'm looking at 1 tons thru F-550, the 550's are bringing big money....plenty of 450 dumpers out there. One 550 has the v10 with 160K miles....Just waiting to get the right deal!

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #16  
I gotta call B.S. on that statement. May be true when towing, but I average about 13 mpg in my '08 F-250.
Maybe I should have been clearer, that average is when actually using the truck for what it's made for. I guess if you buy that truck as a commuter so you can tell your friends you have a V10 and never haul anything with it then yes you may even get 13 mpg.
He has to take every chance he has to bash Ford.
I'd be saying the same thing if Dodge put their old V10 or GM's 8.1l in a class 6 or 7 truck too. Maybe it will work in the flat states, but in the hills of northern New England, that gasser won't go anywhere unless it's empty. ESPECIALLY with just a 6-speed transmission and single gear rear end.

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #17  
I've had 2 of the V-10's, one in a 99 dually and the one I'm driving now in the 2008 F250. I bought the 99 used and wasn't really looking for the V-10 but was so happy with it that I bought the 08 with one as well. Had to really look to find a V-10 on a dealers' lot at the time. I had ordered one but after 60 days and no firm delivery date from Ford started searching the inventory. I do pull trailers from time to time and use the power when needed, mostly haul 1500-2200# in the bed. My reasons for selecting the V-10:
1. I hate the smell of diesel fuel. It gets everywhere.
2. Didn't like the extra noise from the engine compartment, although it has gotten quieter in the newer models.
3.almost every mechanic in the country knows how to service gas engines.
4.of the 3 local stations in our small town, only 1 has diesel fuel and they haven't the best rep for fuel cleanliness.
5. I had 200K on the 99 when I sold it, so the engine if taken care of will go the distance for as long as I normally keep a truck.
6.The 5.4 offered in the SD is gutless, my wife had one in a F150 and it did okay for a grocery getter but I wouldn't want to pull anything with weight with it.
7. When things go bad on a diesel, and with the 08's I knew several folks it did go wrong for, it is very expensive to fix. One old transport driver told me a few years ago that he could replace a gas engine for the cost of a diesel injector pump.
I know that I wasn't going to get great milage, but I didn't buy it for that reason. Last week for S&G I checked out the NADA online and my truck has held it's value better than anything else I've ever owned. I paid around $34K for the truck, (late 07, lots of truck inventory and plenty of discounts available at the time), The average dealer retail price today is $32 for 50K miles.

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #18  
Do you think that might be why they don't want it to compete with the new diesel engine in the F350's?

It is definately a possibility. I am sure Ford would like to sell as many 6.7's as possible for the first couple of years to allow it to see a return on its huge financial investment in the 6.7

I beleive in the long run creating its own light duty diesel engine line will pay off big time for Ford. In the future, when the SD receives a major redesign, Ford will be able to start with a clean sheet if so desired, due to the fact that they can now redesign all aspects of the powertrain in house, such as engine deck height, engine mounting locations, Trans length, structural oil pans that bolt to the Transmission case, etc. etc.

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #19  
Maybe I should have been clearer, that average is when actually using the truck for what it's made for. I guess if you buy that truck as a commuter so you can tell your friends you have a V10 and never haul anything with it then yes you may even get 13 mpg.

You did say it struggles to get 8 mpg at 7000 lbs.

Apparently you have a pretty narrow view of what a 3/4 ton pickup is made for. I learned 30 years ago that a 1/2 ton truck just isn't built for the uses that I put it to. Ever drive a F100 with 3300 ponds of sand in the bed? Not a good idea, but I made it home without damage. That's what happens when you buy sand, stone, etc at a quarry where they don't have small loaders.

My truck is empty about 1/2 the time- when I'm headed out to bring materials back to my place, or when I'm headed home after delivering firewood or demolition debris to a family member's place or the town dump.

I don't use my truck as a commuter vehicle- The gas mileage is too lousy for that! :laughing:

/ Ford Offers V10 in F650/750 #20  
While definately not a premium medium duty engine by any stretch of the imagination, I would not be so quick to bash this move. There are still lots of old F600's running around these parts with 370 gassers under the hood, getting the job done every day,instead of the 6.8 british diesels they could also be had with. Beleive me, That V10 would feel like a 855 Cummins compared to those old 370's.

Having owned and driven an F600 dump with the 370 I whole-heartedly agree with that comment.:thumbsup:

The V-10 is used in many large RVs I see in my travels, so it must be doing something right. A 24-28' long RV is very similar in weight to medium duty trucks.

I have found 3 2010 CC SRW 350 4x4 long beds with V10s on lots. I am really thinking about pulling the trigger as I really like the power needed to pull heavy trailers on occaision. Definately bummed about discontinuation in the F350.:mad:

This would be my 5th one and never had a plug spit.