Ford releases fuel numbers for the new F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Ford releases fuel numbers for the new F-150 #21  
If you read the small print of many of the fuel reports the increase is for the 2.7 ecoboost standard cab 2 wheel drive. So I take that to mean fuel mileage has not improved though the claim is 5-30% across all models. I'm disappointed, I have a 96 F150 300 6 cyd with 200,000miles and was wanting to trade up on the twentieth anniversary of purchase. I can get 17-19 mpg now so for me there is no advantage just payments. I may just trade up anyway would be nice to get a new ride.

/ Ford releases fuel numbers for the new F-150 #22  
I agree on the 3.5 choice over the 2.7 - not enough mileage difference.

Right. Assuming Ford does not squeeze out better mileage in a year or so, the 2.7L Eco will most likely find a home in smaller vehicles than sell much in the F150.

/ Ford releases fuel numbers for the new F-150 #23  
We have 3 F150 4x4 club cabs at work, 5.0. The one I drive always has near a 1000 pounds in the bed. A lot of mixed driving the truck is averaging 13.5 mpg. It's a pretty nice truck, I think it's a lot better truck than the previous generation F150.

/ Ford releases fuel numbers for the new F-150 #24  
At this point, that seems like really good advice. I have ridden in / driven the 3.5 eco but have zero experience with the 5.0. Need to fix that.

I wonder if the 5.0 has the same carbon build up issues the ecoboost has and other direct injected engines? Maybe it's related to turbo charging. Don't know.

It will be hard to get rid of my F250 but the aluminum body sounds like a keeper truck.

The 5.0 does have the same issue, as do all direct injected engines venting their crankcase gasses through the intake manifold. But with the 5.0, you can use a top end engine cleaner on it to clean it up that you cannot use on the ecoboost engine because the top end engine cleaner will overheat and destroy the turbo seals leading to turbo failures. So the ecoboost must be prepped in order to give long life without issues.

The first thing to do when you bring any air to air inter cooled turbo home is drill a 1/16" weep hole in the bottom of the intercooler to prevent misfires. In the ecoboost's case on the F150, then you want to pop the plugs out and gap them to 0.30-0.33 so life is easier on the coil packs and emissions system.

10433895_10203171711473151_2556774398665931373_n.jpg

Finally, bypass the engine evaporative emissions system that carbons up the backside of the intake valves with the biggest catch-can with check valves you can get your mits on. This is superior to the stock system since it puts engine vaccuum on the crankcase and forciby draws crankcase vapor into the catch can. In my case I then added a drain to the catch can so I can open a ball valve and drop the contents into an oil pan, glass jar, or whatever. I also relocated the horns so it would all fit behind the grill with my stealthy 30" behind-the-grill-lightbar.

10620058_10203168402150420_6108154006693052057_o.jpg

Do all these things and you're ready to live out life as a rolling F150 commercial towing 10,000 pounds down the highway at 70 mph.

10636083_10203242775649711_5877275452088742148_n.jpg

/ Ford releases fuel numbers for the new F-150 #25  
The 5.0 does have the same issue, as do all direct injected engines venting their crankcase gasses through the intake manifold. But with the 5.0, you can use a top end engine cleaner on it to clean it up that you cannot use on the ecoboost engine because the top end engine cleaner will overheat and destroy the turbo seals leading to turbo failures. So the ecoboost must be prepped in order to give long life without issues.

The first thing to do when you bring any air to air inter cooled turbo home is drill a 1/16" weep hole in the bottom of the intercooler to prevent misfires. In the ecoboost's case on the F150, then you want to pop the plugs out and gap them to 0.30-0.33 so life is easier on the coil packs and emissions system.

Finally, bypass the engine evaporative emissions system that carbons up the backside of the intake valves with the biggest catch-can with check valves you can get your mits on. This is superior to the stock system since it puts engine vaccuum on the crankcase and forciby draws crankcase vapor into the catch can. In my case I then added a drain to the catch can so I can open a ball valve and drop the contents into an oil pan, glass jar, or whatever. I also relocated the horns so it would all fit behind the grill with my stealthy 30" behind-the-grill-lightbar.

Do all these things and you're ready to live out life as a rolling F150 commercial towing 10,000 pounds down the highway at 70 mph.

Agree with the catch can being a good solution. The weep hole idea concerns me in that you are inhaling unfiltered air in non boost time periods. Not happening on my truck without a check valve.

/ Ford releases fuel numbers for the new F-150 #26  
Its a big thing on people that are into hemi engines to put a catch can on them. Is it needed? Maybe not but it does help keep the intake a little cleaner.

/ Ford releases fuel numbers for the new F-150 #27  
Maybe Ford could tune out about 20 horses to get the mileage up?

/ Ford releases fuel numbers for the new F-150 #28  
Maybe Ford could tune out about 20 horses to get the mileage up?

I seriously doubt that will help at all. Ford needs to make make drive line improvements. GM and Toyota have them beat in that department.

Chris

/ Ford releases fuel numbers for the new F-150 #29  
I seriously doubt that will help at all. Ford needs to make make drive line improvements. GM and Toyota have them beat in that department.
That's probably why they are partnering with GM on a 9 speed RWD transmission.

Aaron Z

/ Ford releases fuel numbers for the new F-150 #30  
I recall when the AOD / AODE came out, they were taking almost 100 HP to drive them at full throttle. Whereas the newer 6R80 is showing about 60 HP losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.