Fram Filter Problem - From another forum

/ Fram Filter Problem - From another forum #41  
I hate to say it but I use Fleetguard filters on all my equipment. I think they are good filters but more than anything I like the white color. I always write the date and hours with a black marker on the side and then put clear tape over it. The other colors don't show up as well and since I know they will be white I just order them by the case and never looked elsewhere.

/ Fram Filter Problem - From another forum #42  
does your location carry the supertech filters? if so.. they share part numbers with fram.. but have a s prefix on many of them. usually 50 cents to a dollar cheaper. in some cases, minor physical dimension differences.

i used this to my advantage on some tractors. many fords use a motorcraft fl1a or simialr filter.. the supertech st8a ( fram ph8a ) is a half inch shorter or so and fits good on rowcrop machines that have engine rails. kinda like a 300 dual filter..

soundguy

Now, I usually try to get a better filter than Fram, but if I am in a hurry and Wally World has the oil I want in stock, Fram is just about the only filter they carry.

BTW, that says something right there. Wally World is not the pinnacle of quality, but they do sell a lot of oil filters. If even one in a million of the ones they sell failed, they would have so many complaints that they would switch brands.

/ Fram Filter Problem - From another forum #43  
What's the story on the lineup of Fram filters? There's like 3-4 levels with higher prices as you move up the food chain?

Are the internal components better? The specs on the box appear to be better as the filter type changes...

Might not be the case - I have no "proof" and have not tested them, either.

AKfish

/ Fram Filter Problem - From another forum #44  
What's the story on the lineup of Fram filters? There's like 3-4 levels with higher prices as you move up the food chain?

Forgot to mention that, but that's the other funny thing about the cut-it-open-and-compare websites. Fram makes a good/better/best line of filters, and even the self-appointed experts on those sites have said that the better ones "compare" more favorably.

I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen those sites linked-to on forums like this, often with the "Fram is junk" theme being the topic at hand. Makes you wonder if they actually READ what they're linking to, (not that the stuff is worth reading anyway given the lack of any real data), or.....if the "Fram is junk" bandwagon is just too irresistible to hop on that it makes objectivity secondary.

;)

/ Fram Filter Problem - From another forum #45  
i think stp filters are short like the supertecs. I assumed fram made the supertec filter. Years ago i use to run supertec 8a's in my ranger and they were the longer version, matching size for the motorcraft fl1a. When they changed to smaller capacity is when i went to fram. No problem but recently i have been trying to buy purorlator on the oil change sales at autozone. like castrol and purolator filter for 16.99. Another thing i have noticed is that the filter for my 1980 chevy k10 the fram ph5 (i think) is similar in diameter to ford just a litter smaller than the 8a. i generally use what is on sale i had a wix on there that i replaced with a pure one filter, the pure one filter was smaller than the wix or a fram # to which it crossed over to? I mean looking up in the book at advance the # i got is what the book said i needed and it was shorter than the traditional large gm filter that they used for years. Those of you familiar with for and gm know that they both have a common large and small filter that was used for years and is probly still used on some of the vehicles.

/ Fram Filter Problem - From another forum #46  
ditto that. on the large / small filter.

I usualy buy an aftermarket filter for my yukon vs the oem filter, as the oem filter is tiny... aftermarkets are a lil longer.. though almost too long to fit it in the cramped space they give you.

soundguy

/ Fram Filter Problem - From another forum #47  
i think stp filters are short like the supertecs. They both have the same endcaps but I think STP has, all, have better anti drainback valves. But they are both made by Champ Labs filter.

Are they okay, sure..It will work..They are cheap(er) then other since others perform better..A UOA will tell ya that.

/ Fram Filter Problem - From another forum #48  
i use purolator and purolator pure one as much as possible.

/ Fram Filter Problem - From another forum #50  
yep they are. But if not on sale i will just go for the classic, its still a better filter than fram, stp, supertec etc. The pure one is comparable to the k&n and mobil one some say its a $10-15 filter for $6