Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6
I would just go with store-bought 2x6's. Mainly for reasons others mentioned.

But I have to ask why you are even considering sawing your own?? What are you really saving in the grand scheme of things??? Around here, 2x4x8's are typically $2 and 2x6x8's are $3. So if you buy 1000 of them, thats only 3 grand. Thats pocket change when you figure the total cost of everything. Not to mention that sawing you own isnt exactally free either. There are costs associated with that as well. AND, 1000 boards is ALOT. on 16" spacing, that is enough to do over 1300 lineal feet of wall. How may studs did you figure you would need??

Well, suing 2X6's for exterior and interior wall I was going to cut 400 8' studs and 75 16'ers for floors and caps. But now am seriously thinking just going with 2X6 outside and 2X4 inside. Will be over a year before we pour a footer so I've got time to change my mind and floor plans.

Still haven't been able to find the requirement for kiln dried or graded wood in Florida Building Codes and have not been able to get in touch with anyone at the county level either. Hopefully will have an asnser by COB Monday.

I'm dead in the middle of the hit land spot for this little storm coming up. I'm 35 miles inland but will definitely get the rain. Send a prayer for folks around me that won't be as prepared or able to withstand the storm as well as I am.

More when it passes.

Chain Bender

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6 #52  
If I was in and storm are I would use concrete walls. The foam blocks are a great idea. You get insulation and the strength of concrete, plus you can do it yourself.

Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF): SmartBlock Insulating Concrete Form

Also if you are starting from scratch build a concrete BUNKER safe room inside the house from tornadoes, hurricanes etc.

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6 #53  
Still haven't been able to find the requirement for kiln dried or graded wood in Florida Building Codes and have not been able to get in touch with anyone at the county level either. Hopefully will have an asnser by COB Monday.

Chain Bender
One place to look is the requirements for FHA housing loans. They set a standard that is nationwide as if a buyer can't get a FHA loan to buy your house because it dosn't meet their standards you have severly restricted the pool of potential buyers. Even if you don't intend to ever sell it your bank will be adverse to lending on something with limited marketability. I can't quote you what their standard is today but I'm sure you can find it.

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6 #54  
Call your local bldg dept tomorrow - I can't find my copy of the Natl bldg code, but I think that's probably what they follow. Ask for the framing inspector, he'll know.

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6 #55  
Around here if the lumber doesn't have a stamp, you don't pass inspection.

Is that requirement for the community, or county, or state? If it is state or county what state and county is that in? What is their reasoning behind it, is it for strength of lumber, or some coating on the lumber, or is it just because they want to control the standards of the homes constructed in that area? I have seen some really nice looking homes that have been built out of rough lumber and with them a 2X4 is actually a 2X4. There is one home that I know of that the builder planed the edges down to uniform width but left the thickness alone, and that 2X4 would be stronger than a dressed 2X4. I have seen some dressed and kiln dried 2X4s that had the stamps on it that wasn't fit to use in a dog house.

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6 #56  
The bldg inspector told me when I was framing my shop with pressure treated home cut lumber that the kiln dried stamp insurred that any bugs in the lumber were dead. I questioned any bugs being alive after having the lumber pressure treated, said that didn't make any difference, that it had to have the kiln dried stamp or no heat could be installed in the structure, because the heat would bring the bugs out of the lumber. (bugs meaning wood destroying organisms).

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6 #57  
The bldg inspector told me when I was framing my shop with pressure treated home cut lumber that the kiln dried stamp insurred that any bugs in the lumber were dead. I questioned any bugs being alive after having the lumber pressure treated, said that didn't make any difference, that it had to have the kiln dried stamp or no heat could be installed in the structure, because the heat would bring the bugs out of the lumber. (bugs meaning wood destroying organisms).

I don't understand this unless we are talking termites and they are easy to spot. I think the real reason for kiln drying is to get the moisture out so the lumber can be sized consistently. There is nothing wrong with sawmill lumber that has been properly air dried and many many house here are built with it(including mine).

As far as the "code" thing, kiln dried inspection stamped lumber is all part of a complicated machine originally designed to make houses safer & stronger. However, that machine has run rampant in many parts of our country trampling home "owner" builders in the process.

"I have seen some dressed and kiln dried 2X4s that had the stamps on it that wasn't fit to use in a dog house." Spot on with that one Toy!

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6
Well, I finally got in touch with my county building inspector and his supervisor and both gave me the standard government employee 1000 meter stare when I asked them about being kiln dried and graded. They gave me the phone numbers fo two more surrounding county building inspectors. Got the exact same response from them.

I think I have found several kilns in a 100 mile radius, but from my understanding, none of them have a stamp of approval. So now what?

Lets say I have more than a few 16' 2X6's left oveer and want to use them as interior studs. What if there actually is a kiln and grade stamp on it and I cut the board in lengths that don't have the stamp on it. Is that an illegal stud? What if I cut up some longer dried and graded boards to use as headers for doors or windows, no stamp left. It's in the ankle breaker pile waiting to get burned.

This is starting to sound more and more like a racket set up by the lumber companies to protect their back pockets.

If I ever do get in touch with a "state level" building inspector and get more than just a teeth sucking and a head scratch I'll let it be know what I learn.

Still open to definite codes from others though.

tks,
C. Bender

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6 #59  
There is nothing more precision then a government run regulatory agency...you should try working on the national level.

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6 #60  
2x6 is the norm for frame houses here. A 2x4 house will not accommodate enough thermal insulation. Some houses are built with 2x8 walls for the extra capacity.
It's been a while since I've seen a roughcut frame going up. Nowadays all lumber must be graded and stamped or it will not pass building inspection.
You can have your lumber graded. Find a sawmill and go talk to them. For a specific application in the house I am building I should have done that. It would have saved me time, grief and cash.