Front wheels locked

/ Front wheels locked #11  
If anything, you may have over filled. The sight glass is on the left side of the axle, (driver's side?) and faces the rear of the tractor. It is shown in the manual also, I believe. This has been discussed on here previously - always re-check after changing. Some guys say to lift the front end and move the axle around. I just drove around for a little and then re-check a few times after each use. It will settle out.

/ Front wheels locked #12  
I saw one of the fried pinion gears in Rick's shop this summer. However, as I recall he mentioned that this type of failure is much more likely to occur when traveling with the tractor along a road etc but less likely when just working as Sodamo described. Hard for there to be a lot of heat build up in those gears (even if the oil level was a bit low) when just doing loader work.

/ Front wheels locked #13  
The site glass on my ck20 appeared to have oil in it when I brought it home from the dealer, but when I got curious and pulled it, no oil came out. I had to add a quart. It only had 15 hours on it. When I did the 50 hr service, it took several top offs to get it to stay in the sight glass. The bad thing is, the design of the sight glass makes it appear that there is oil there once the level comes up into it once. After the level has settled below the glass, it still looks like the oil is just at the bottom of the glass. This, according to the manual is the correct level. I am now in the habit of overfilling the unit to keep the level midway in the glass cold and level.

/ Front wheels locked #14  
I too aim for halfway into the sight glass. I believe that there is a red dot in the center which would indicate the fill line.

Okay, so the wheels spin in opposite directions. This is good, your hubs are fine and the center gears inside the diff are fine. Now you are looking at the ring and pinion, or possibly those supporting bearings. I would set one wheel on the ground to lock it and try and rock the other wheel back and forth in an attempt to free up the differential housing which is now locked in position by some mechanical issue like perhaps a chunk of gear tooth in the gears. If you can dislodge the "wrench in your gears" then the chunk might fall into the axle and bind up in a hub so be careful, but at least you can load it onto a trailer.

This might be a time for one of those car dolleys that you use on the front of cars to tow them around with a truck. Your rear end should move freely if in 2wd.

/ Front wheels locked #15  
Yet again, the value of this web site is demonstrated. I got nervous when I read about the stealth behavior of the sight glass and went out to check mine. Sure enough, no oil showing. I added almost a quart and it was in the center of the sight glass - came back a half hour later and it had disappeared. All told I put in about 1 3/4 quarts - not good, but better than finding out by having my front diffy freeze. I did my 50 hour maintenance about 160 hours ago so I suspect that I did some damage, but hopefully not too much.

/ Front wheels locked #16  
be careful forcing the tractor to free up you could brake some gears or a shaft. it does sound like the front end is free and ok, maybe jack the back end up and rotate the rear tires by hand.

/ Front wheels locked #17  
I too have filled mine CK30HSt and come back and seen it low and filled it again.

Ps FWIIW, I use a lot of moly in everything including the gear oil.

Mike

/ Front wheels locked
Thanks Guys

Raining steadily here and I'll wait for it to dry out before venturing further. Yea, I know, pretty wimpy of me :D:D:D

As for the back wheels - they do engage. I was able to move tractor both forward and reverse, although the front wheels just skidded along. Had to move it as I was in the way of my backhoe guy and his 426. He did dig me a right pretty hole, but sure would be easier if I can get my Kioti working to place the base course in those tight places.

David

/ Front wheels locked #19  
Thanks Guys

Raining steadily here and I'll wait for it to dry out before venturing further. Yea, I know, pretty wimpy of me :D:D:D

As for the back wheels - they do engage. I was able to move tractor both forward and reverse, although the front wheels just skidded along. Had to move it as I was in the way of my backhoe guy and his 426. He did dig me a right pretty hole, but sure would be easier if I can get my Kioti working to place the base course in those tight places.

David

Is there a chance the 4WD lever was only partially engage when this happened? Maybe something in the transmission had locked up or (hopefully) not broken. If the front wheels were not fully engaged for an extended period of time, a tooth may have broken on one of the gears and lodged somewhere locking up the front end. Just surmising. As far as moving the tractor, maybe just lift the front end off the ground with the FEL and move it that way, at least you shouldn't strain anything else.

Steve