Front wheels locked

/ Front wheels locked
So if perchance I do have a broken piece or two, think a good magnet might be enough to keep them out of harms way? Other than the drain plugs so dee if there is good location or two that might help?

David

/ Front wheels locked #32  
Whew, jb welding magnets has occurred to me but what if they come off and get in the gears? Mike
Mike, JB them on the outside if the plug is steel. The magnetic force will be transfered to the inside... no need to put magnets inside and take that chance they will come off.

/ Front wheels locked #33  
If we are talking about the drain plugs for the front axle, I'd imagine that an external magnet, even if glued, would like be knocked off by brush. I know that the HST drain plug already has a built in magnet. Is that not the case for the transmission on gear versions too?

/ Front wheels locked #34  
Is gear oil the recommended lube? the manual says gear lube or hydraulic fluid.

This is a good point to stress as I believe Rick talked about it this past summer. Maybe Island or Joel or Rick himself will speak on it again but I believe although the manual recommends hydro fluild Rick specifically said to go with gear oil. Anyone recall this from the open house?

/ Front wheels locked #35  
If we are talking about the drain plugs for the front axle, I'd imagine that an external magnet, even if glued, would like be knocked off by brush. I know that the HST drain plug already has a built in magnet. Is that not the case for the transmission on gear versions too?

Yep, big honkin magnet on the main tranny drain plug!

/ Front wheels locked #36  
This is a good point to stress as I believe Rick talked about it this past summer. Maybe Island or Joel or Rick himself will speak on it again but I believe although the manual recommends hydro fluild Rick specifically said to go with gear oil. Anyone recall this from the open house?

When I bought my DK from Rick I asked him to bring all the fluids I'd need for the 50hr service. He brought HST oil for the HST and 90w gear oil for the front axle.

That said, I suspect that unless you are running the tractor on a highway that almost any oil would be adequate so long as the level is OK.

/ Front wheels locked #37  
Rick also advised me to use 90W. When new, he said they have hydraulic fluid in them for breakin that must be replaced with 90W at the 50 hour service.

/ Front wheels locked #38  
Rick also advised me to use 90W. When new, he said they have hydraulic fluid in them for breakin that must be replaced with 90W at the 50 hour service.

Thanks! That's what I was referring to in my previous post. Any one know how to tell the difference between the two? I though Rick said one smelled really bad?

/ Front wheels locked #39  
I believe Gear oil has an extreme pressure additive that wreaks and won't come out when spilled on things. It's a smell you don't forget! I think it also might be more viscous than hydraulic fluid (which has its own particular odor- not particularly offensive). I'm sticking with gear oil!

/ Front wheels locked #40  
I believe Gear oil has an extreme pressure additive that wreaks and won't come out when spilled on things. It's a smell you don't forget! I think it also might be more viscous than hydraulic fluid (which has its own particular odor- not particularly offensive). I'm sticking with gear oil!

I've got both in the garage so I'll compare. I was curious cause to be honest I didn't do my 50hr. so I don't really know what's in mine currently. It should be gear oil but I don't have or should say didn't have the most faith in my former dealership. I need to check after I determine which smells like what.