Game Food Plots

/ Game Food Plots #11  
I am waiting for some rain! Praying for rain! Doing RAIN dances! We have not had a drop in 3 weeks and it is DRY. Top 12 inches of dirt is just powder.

I have about 4 acres ready to plant with wheat and clover, just waiting for some moisture.

/ Game Food Plots #13  
Really dry here in central Ky also. Ken Sweet

Yep, it's gotten dry here in SC too. My hunt club has a work day Saturday, the plan is to put out some wheat, rye, clover, and some other stuff. If it doesn't rain soon, then it might be a waste of seed and time. :mad:

/ Game Food Plots #14  
Like many others on here, I am just waiting for some rain. I have the plots plowed, just waiting for seed, but they can't grow in the dry powder we have now. I am planning on planting some alpha-rack plus from whitetail institute if we get some rain. I keep watching the weather and hoping the rain will come before it's too late to plant.

/ Game Food Plots #15  
Hey Ken...That is not a bad price for a 71. How hard would it be to modify it to also add a fertilizer hopper to one, also. Is there an add on kit, (or whatever), to add hoppers? Sorry for getting off subject...

Last edited:
   / Game Food Plots
Everything is "on subject" here. The idea is to hear any idea, and the seeder is something to consider. I think in my land I would still have to bushhog and disc a bit to allow a seeder to do its job.

It has been dry in central Alabama as well, just a few showers here and there. A few weeks ago it rained quite a bit, and I was able to run the disc over the areas I want to plant. The grass and weeds I cut before should wilt in this dry weather. After (if) we get a rain I will disc again and plant rye, wheat, and not sure what else, other than the turnip greens. Got some work to do next weekend---fencing an area for a new food plot, repairing a shooting house, clearing roads, and preparing that "back in the woods, out of the way" food plot.

/ Game Food Plots #17  
He said Cheap!!

This may be cheap if your a farmer but to us guys for deer that is crazy money! I see them for sale all the time for $250 for 1 row and see doubles for $600 all the time.

I believe the price on the 71 planter to be about right. Not cheap, but about what those planters bring. You may find better deals but those deals are few and far between. Buying equipment is like buying oats. If you are satisfied with the oats that has already been through the horse, then that oats will be cheaper.

I would be interested in one of those $250 ones if it is not so far away that the freight would eat me up. Needs to be JD 71 for 2.5 square tool bar.

Last edited:
   / Game Food Plots #18  
Pretty dry at our property in Middle GA. However, we planted three small plots of Forage Oats last Friday and Saturday. A cool front moved through the state and we had about 1 to 1-1/2" of rain. We've never tried Forage Oats so I guess we'll see.

/ Game Food Plots #19  
Dry as well for my place in the Georgia piedmont. Definitely need some moisture!
Burned off my plots a week ago. Looking to turn the soil and plant over the next two weekends.

Will be using wheat, oats and rye only in two plots (2x 1+ acres). Killed off a bunch of carolina horsenettle in these plots this summer with Grazon PD. The residual is likely too much for any broadleafs to grow this fall.

My third plot (1+ acre) will get a light dose of wheat/oats/rye along with a clover mix, chicory and some radishes. I tested this mix last year and had excellent results. Full on planting this year and looking to have the clover and chicory as perennials for the next several seasons.

Last edited:
   / Game Food Plots #20  
NH has a thing about baiting so you have to do enough to be considered as attempting to raise a crop, even if for self consumption or experimental purposes.

Working on about a half acre back in the woods for just alfalfa clover for the deer. Basically just rototil, broadcast, and sit back and watch it come up.

Been eyeing a 2 acre bog/marsh on the back of the property where the hard pan runs from 6 inches to 5 feet below the surface. Like to turn it into a wild rice paddie or two and I remember the South Koreans running tractors with some kind of paddle-like extensions on their wheels for traction. Of course I saw a lot of 2 wheeled tractors used with rototillers there too.