Game Food Plots

/ Game Food Plots #21  
I'm 45 miles south of Macon GA. Plots are tilled, but dry. Gonna plant next week. When it rains, seed will germinate. Rye, oats, chicory, and clover.

/ Game Food Plots #22  
I'd be glad to trade you boys some of my excess rain if you wanna swap for some of your dry sandy soil! Soaking wet heavy clay is fine for raising a crop of weeds, but not so good for much of anything else. (except for getting stuck in it!)

/ Game Food Plots
I'd be glad to trade you boys some of my excess rain if you wanna swap for some of your dry sandy soil! Soaking wet heavy clay is fine for raising a crop of weeds, but not so good for much of anything else. (except for getting stuck in it!)

Where are you? I'll get a load of the sandy loam soil ready :)

/ Game Food Plots #24  
My club picked up a 284 acre lease next to our main 360 acre lease a couple months ago. The owner just had it thinned out by having a lot of tall pines cut and sold for telephone poles. While cutting the timber, the loggers put in some new access roads. The owner has agreed to pay us to plant the roads and the loading docks to prevent erosion. Last Saturday I slung out over a thousand pounds of seed and about that much in fertilizer too in about 4 hours of tractor time. I have to say though, it was VERY DRY. If it doesn't rain soon, it might all be wasted! :mad: Well, I am sure the turkeys and some other critters are putting it to good use! :licking:

/ Game Food Plots #25  
I am waiting for some rain! Praying for rain! Doing RAIN dances! We have not had a drop in 3 weeks and it is DRY. Top 12 inches of dirt is just powder.

I have about 4 acres ready to plant with wheat and clover, just waiting for some moisture.

Welcome to the club--no measurable rain here in the North Sacramento Valley since last May 28. Can't get into my 6-acre hayfield to mow the tinder-dry stubble and weeds (fire season is still going strong now). Need 1/2 to 1" rain so I can get to work on my fall planting (Kanota oats).

/ Game Food Plots #26  
Pretty much the same thing here in NW. Georgia. No real rain for a long time. I have a 4 acre pond that is down 2+ feet at least.

Kebo, I am surprised you didn't need to add lime to the soil in South Carolina. Here in NW. Georgia we need a bunch of lime to get the PH to a point where anything grows.

MarkV

/ Game Food Plots #27  
I have sandy loam soils and I'm only about 2 to 8 feet higher than the water table on most of my land. On my land it can rain 3" in the morning and I can be discing or plowing in the afternoon.

As the crops are only a feet higher than the water table....deep rooted stuff (like trees and radishes) grow well even in dry years. :thumbsup: Of course other stuff can burn up if we dont get rain....but its a unique situation.

We've had good rainfalls all summer....and my clover, rye, and assorted brassica (rape, PTT, Radishes), corn, and tree seedlings, all look like your at the arboretum!! Best crops in years around our area. :):):thumbsup:

/ Game Food Plots
I have sandy loam soils and I'm only about 2 to 8 feet higher than the water table on most of my land. On my land it can rain 3" in the morning and I can be discing or plowing in the afternoon.

Best crops in years around our area. :):):thumbsup:

Good job foggy. Sounds like you have some good crops there. My sandy loan soil is very similar, but dry all the way down. I have some sawtooth oak trees on the land that are doing very well.

My food plot days have ended for this season. I was working on a 12 foot ladder on Sunday, had the ladder in a good spot against some T111 siding. I was putting in the last little piece for one wall. I reached to move the small strip of siding to the left and put in some deck screws. Well, I must have pulled too hard on the piece of siding. I pulled left, the ladder slid quickly to the right, and I have a quick trip to the ground. Landed on my feet, and thought things were ok until I put pressure on my right foot, and said "OUCH". Broken right leg, sprained left ankle, sore knees and a lot of damage to my pride and ego. I did not feel the that ladder was in an unsafe spot, I just did not work safely.

For food plot planting I will teach my co-hunter how to run the Kioti, and I will be the supervisor. Watching other people work and not helping is not something I am used to.

I go today to get a permanent cast. I hear that I can get it in camo design!

/ Game Food Plots #29  
Was very dry when I tilled my plots in August. Planted about 6 acres of Southern Sweet Spot, purple top turnips, radishes and cereal rye on September 11. Had pretty moist soil at planting thanks to Hurricane h
Hermine. Need more rain now to get the seeds germinating.

Attachments

• 2010 Ranch Trail Camera Tiller.JPG
    2010 Ranch Trail Camera Tiller.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 111
   / Game Food Plots #30  
Good job foggy. Sounds like you have some good crops there. My sandy loan soil is very similar, but dry all the way down. I have some sawtooth oak trees on the land that are doing very well.

My food plot days have ended for this season. I was working on a 12 foot ladder on Sunday, had the ladder in a good spot against some T111 siding. I was putting in the last little piece for one wall. I reached to move the small strip of siding to the left and put in some deck screws. Well, I must have pulled too hard on the piece of siding. I pulled left, the ladder slid quickly to the right, and I have a quick trip to the ground. Landed on my feet, and thought things were ok until I put pressure on my right foot, and said "OUCH". Broken right leg, sprained left ankle, sore knees and a lot of damage to my pride and ego. I did not feel the that ladder was in an unsafe spot, I just did not work safely.

For food plot planting I will teach my co-hunter how to run the Kioti, and I will be the supervisor. Watching other people work and not helping is not something I am used to.

I go today to get a permanent cast. I hear that I can get it in camo design!

OUCH! Sorry to hear about your leg and ankle. Hope your back in shape for the hunting season.

I'm kinda in the same boat this fall. I'm recovering from disc surgery two weeks ago. Slow going...and my tractor driving is done for the year. I'm hoping to be back in the game for hunting season. As I like to say..."you gotta learn to play hurt". :laughing: Get well soon!