Garage door opener installation

/ Garage door opener installation #101  
Lift your door up all the way, then put a pair of vise grips on the pipe and turn it to loosen the cables, your door will go down.

Aaron Z
Well I did this experiment, sort of, I put the door all the way up unlatched it, got the stepladder and put vise grips on the pipe on the opposite end from the opener, but all that did was move the door back and forth, so my son said put the vise grips on the pipe so that it rest against the wall, then he took a long stick, push up on the bottom of the door, the cables relaxed, then when he took the stick away, the door moved down against the cables, acts like (gravity) is letting the door go down and keeping tension on the cables, imagine that. I think this the best way to understand how this LiftMaster 8500 opener brings the door down.

Just think, if only someone on YouTube could of demonstrated this, this thread would of stopped 6 pages ago, or there would been something a lot more interesting to read.

/ Garage door opener installation #102  
Try your experiment with the door down. You'll see that very little effort is needed to turn the jackshaft and get the door to lift up. Coming down, all the opener does is spool out the cable. It's the going up that's interesting.