Garage door opener installation

/ Garage door opener installation #91  
Lift your door up all the way, then put a pair of vise grips on the pipe and turn it to loosen the cables, your door will go down.

Aaron Z
That sounds like a doable experiment, but if I do that wont it just pull the door up more, I have about 3 inches of rail left before the door hits the bolt at the end of the track, it use to bottom out at the bolt on top till I adjusted the travel limit, didn't like the door hitting the bolt before it stop, so should I put a clamp behind the door on top so it wont move, then with vise grips turn the shaft?

/ Garage door opener installation #92  
I think now you understand the understanding! :thumbsup: :D

MithBusters is on the way to your place with a camera crew so you can watch it live on your door! :laughing:
That's awesome, I heard they pay $10,000.00 to anyone who lets them do experiments on their land, now I have to figure out what to do with all that $$$$, maybe I should start an overhead door installation company.

/ Garage door opener installation #93  
That sounds like a doable experiment, but if I do that wont it just pull the door up more, I have about 3 inches of rail left before the door hits the bolt at the end of the track, it use to bottom out at the bolt on top till I adjusted the travel limit, didn't like the door hitting the bolt before it stop, so should I put a clamp behind the door on top so it wont move, then with vise grips turn the shaft?

If you turn it to LOOSEN the cables that pull the door up, it will not raise the door, it will allow it to lower.

Aaron Z

/ Garage door opener installation #94  
I think now you understand the understanding! :thumbsup: :D

MithBusters is on the way to your place with a camera crew so you can watch it live on your door! :laughing:

That's awesome, I heard they pay $10,000.00 to anyone who lets them do experiments on their land, now I have to figure out what to do with all that $$$$,
No figuring necessary, I get half! :laughing:

Oldpath05 said:
maybe I should start an overhead door installation company.
I don't think so! :thumbdown: :D

/ Garage door opener installation #96  
When most doors are up, most of the vertical weight becomes horizontal... friction also is a factor.

One of my older friends never opened her door for decades and then couldn't... she was going to have it all replaced.

All it needed was a good oiling to get everything operating... sectional doors have a lot of pivot points and then there are the rollers.

/ Garage door opener installation #97  
If you turn it to LOOSEN the cables that pull the door up, it will not raise the door, it will allow it to lower.

Aaron Z
I'll give this a try this first thing Saturday morning around 11:00 AM, rite after I have a couple cups of vitamin C.

/ Garage door opener installation #98  
No figuring necessary, I get half! :laughing:

I don't think so! :thumbdown: :D
Oh yea, you need a finders fee........
LOL, yea your probably right, I better stay welding, that I understand, I have a lot of trouble working with lumber too, I cut a 2x4 three times and it's still to short.

/ Garage door opener installation #99  
When most doors are up, most of the vertical weight becomes horizontal... friction also is a factor.

One of my older friends never opened her door for decades and then couldn't... she was going to have it all replaced.

All it needed was a good oiling to get everything operating... sectional doors have a lot of pivot points and then there are the rollers.
That gets me thinking, I should make sure to oil up my hinges and rollers this summer, my door has been installed a year now.

/ Garage door opener installation #100  
That gets me thinking, I should make sure to oil up my hinges and rollers this summer, my door has been installed a year now.

I check doors by disconnecting the door from the opener and manually raising and lowering to check balance and any binding...

I have found bad rollers and joints desperately in need of a couple of drops of oil..

Also, helps to keep wood doors well sealed from the elements... otherwise they might pick up moisture, get heavier and make the opener work harder.