Buying Advice GCK60-BX Conversion to BX25

/ GCK60-BX Conversion to BX25
Good Morning All - Just got off the phone with my Kubota parts folks and as it turns out the bolt IS a shear bolt but as you might expect they don't have any in stock, & yes they don't have the right rear tail light lens in stock either!!! So I'll leave the catcher attached to the BX25 until I can get some new shear pins/bolts and fire the thing up again before I rule this a success or failure. If it snaps a new shear pin/bolt then the verdict is simple, the drive shaft angle is just too sever/great and short of lowering the entire mounting system and finding a longer drive shaft for the GC to PTO connection there is no other option but to buy the new model. The drive shaft for the BX2750 front mounted snow blower is just a little bit longer but the quick connect does not match up to the rear PTO of the BX25 (of course). This drive shaft could be retrofitted by changing out the yoke/PTO quick connect from the GC to PTO drive shaft but until the mounting configuration for the GC is lowered and aligned with the rear PTO a specific lenght is unknown. As short as the GC drive shaft is and given the nearly 45 degree angle that it is now sitting at as it is mounted on the BX25, the more I think about it the more I'm guessing the angle is just too great and hence the shear pin/bolt snapped for that very reason. If anyone out there has any experience and/or knowledge on the drive shaft "acceptable" angles for implements I'd appreciate your input. I'll include the Drive Shaft angle picture that I am referring to again for your review.

Attachments

• Drive shaft 45 degree angle.jpg
    Drive shaft 45 degree angle.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 656
   / GCK60-BX Conversion to BX25 #12  
So close, yet so far, maybe. I believe I've read that Kubota raised up the 3PH on the BX24 and forward models to make it full Cat 1 vs limited Cat 1. This change allowed the BX to lift rear implements higher, so it would make sense the PTO angle is more severe on your BX25 vs the BX23. Still hope it works out for you. If not, the only other thought would be to fabricate a belt hook up with the PTO shaft going into some kind of gear box in the (near) horizontal plane (with the belt then driving the GC stub shaft).

Well when I'm wrong I'll admit it contrary to what my wife says about me. . .

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT INSTALLING THE DRIVE SHAFT AT THAT 45 DEGREE ANGLE. I spent a lot of time today talking with several mechanics who are some to the best in the business and EVERYONE I spoke with advised me NOT to run that drive shaft at the 45 degree angle. It needs to be as straight as possible.

Given the information above in this post this is what I did today to move forward - I don't give up very easily. Having disconnected the drive shaft I jacked up the GC and released the top center link and allowed it to rest on it's two storage legs while still attached to the two lower links/arms of the 3 point hitch. Resting in this position I determined that if I could add/weld exactly 6" of 1.5" tube stock (1/4" wall thickness tube stock) and drill a new hole for mounting that top link then things will align including the drive shaft BUT the original GC drive shaft will end up being too short. I then determined that the drive shaft from my front mounted snow blower is longer, it will actually go inside the other half of the GC's drive shaft, and it is a length that I really think will work. As I had mentioned in a previous post, the rear PTO coupler will need to installed on the end of the snow blower's longer drive shaft to allow the connection to be completed to the PTO & GC.

I just finished spray painting the part that I had welded today and will include 3 pictures. Tomorrow I plan on another visit to my Kubota parts folks to determine if the universals of the GC's drive shaft & my front mounted snow blower's drive shaft are interchangeable. If they are, I plan on ordering a second snow blower drive shaft (just the part that slides in and out of the fixed portion of the drive shaft). When I get that new piece I'll disassemble the GC's PTO universal coupling and hopefully install that universal & PTO coupling on the new snow blower drive shaft which will be used with the GC. The last piece now is getting the universals apart and swapped between the 2 drive shafts. Wish me luck

Attachments

• Drill a new hole prior to welding.jpg
    Drill a new hole prior to welding.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 472
  • Make certain the shaft is straight when welded on all 4 plains.jpg
    Make certain the shaft is straight when welded on all 4 plains.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 600
  • Spray painted and ready for installation.jpg
    Spray painted and ready for installation.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 502
DONE!!

Well after another day of leg work and trying different things, here is the dirt and bottom line is yes it works!

First thing today I went to my local Kubota Parts folks - man I hope they never promote their parts guys to sales postions! The parts folks are the best and most patient people in the world!! Plus if they don't know something they actually tell you and don't feed you a line of bull!

I started today with 2 drive shafts the original one from the GC GCK60--BX and my front mounted snow blower BX2750 snow blower which is approximately 1.5 inches longer than the original GC drive shaft. Problem was, as I mentioned before, the coupler ends are different. So my intent & reason for visiting with my parts folks today was to find out if the universals for the 2 drive shafts were interchangable. The parts numbers were completely different but they looked to be about the same size & shape. So I went home with the 2 shafts and proceeded to disassemble both universals with the intention of swaping the coupler ends. After hours of delicate manipulation w/o damage to any of the bearings, caps, or lost needles, it became obvious that they are identical. I did the swap and got the GC aligned now so that the drive shaft is 100% straight & level! The cost for this will yet to be determined because when I called down to the parts department to order a new half (drive) shaft for my snow blower they informed me that their computer system was down & I'd have to try back on Monday.

Recapping from everything above that I have done, there really isn't that much to do to make the GCK60-BX fit the BX 24 &/or BX25. The first thing is to weld 6 " of 1.5" tube stock onto the end of the top link of the GC and drill the top link hole for mounting. Some matching Kubota ROPS gray paint finished this modification very nicely and drill that mounting hole prior to doing the welding. The GC 3 point mounting arm can be unbolted from the GC in short order by unbolting the 2 lower mounting pins/bolts, and the four 1/2" bolts on top that afix or secure the top link arm to the GC (actully the 2 on the left side only have to be loosened because the holes are slots and hence the thing just slides out from under them. Next is to get a longer half drive shaft from your Kubota dealer. Both of these part numbers will work the first is 70060-03113 (the one I used) from which is for the older BX23 tractor series when mounting the snow blower. The second part number is for the BX24/BX25 tractor series when mounting the snow blower 70060-02182. Trust me when I say these 2 parts are identical in fit, size, & appearance. Price the 2 items at your local Kubota dealer and take the cheaper one. Once you get it you will need a good vise, some sockets, & a dose of serious patience to disassemble the 2 drive shafts. The c clips for the universal bearings are on the inside so be prepared to get greasy. Just use sockets in your vise to press the thing apart but be careful not to loose any of the needle bearings. Once you press the bearing caps out you will need a pair of visegrips to gently twist the caps to free them completely from the yoke - BE GENTLE BECAUSE YOU WILL BE REUSING THEM WHEN YOU REASSEMBLE THE DRIVE SHAFT. Oh yeah use the longer outter shroud or plastic cover for the new GC half drive shaft, the old shorter one will leave a gap between the two drive shafts when connected and this is dangerous. Use the longer drive shaft protector, it will come with either drive shaft/part number listed above.

When you hook up your GCK60-BX after making the modifications above there is only one way to do it. You MUST position the GC behind the BX and CONNECT THE DRIVE SHAFT FIRST. Next i used a floor jack (here is where the motor cycle jack would be a better option) to raise & tilt the GC forward just a little to align the top pin/link, once aligned insert the pin. I found it best to jack just below the right lower link on the GC which is about the middle of the GC. While the GC is still slightly elevated on the jack (having inserted the top mounting pin), I raised my GC fixed supports and stored them inward as they are designed to do. Now by either raising or lowering the jack in very small incremints I was able to install my lower two 3 point hitch arms on the GC. Once on and secured, I removed the jack, & I then attached my lower linkage and tightened them to level it up..

I've included some pictures to show the new drive shaft position which is now straight & level AND MUCH SAFER!!! There is one final picture that shows the GC on the BX25 - IT CAN BE DONE. Other than the cost of a new half drive shaft for my snow blower (I'm thinking it will be $200) the cost was just a $20 weld job and some paint to the top link of the GC. In the grand scheme of things this was a lot less hassle than having to sell my GCK60-BX only to replace it with a GCK60-23BX AND my solution was much cheaper! The new GC does have a belt driven system versus the solid shaft drive system of the older GCK60-BX which I prefer.

As long as it doesn't snow before my parts folks can get me a new half drive shaft for my snow blower I'll be okay. If nothing else I guess I could try and vacuum up the snow with my GC. My apoology for the length of this post prior to arriving at a solution. As you can tell I'm pretty determined to get something to work when I set my mind to it. This has been no exception. If anyone ever has to go through this like I did it should now be a lot less painful as long as they can read this information first. If anyone has any specific questions that I could be of assitance with feel free to email me directly at JosephGleason06@comcast.net.

Attachments

• Straight drive shaft top view.jpg
    Straight drive shaft top view.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 801
  • Straight drive shaft side view.jpg
    Straight drive shaft side view.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 578
  • Grass Catcher Installed on a BX25.jpg
    Grass Catcher Installed on a BX25.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 1,022
   / GCK60-BX Conversion to BX25 #15  
Well I'm wishing this would work just for the $ savings!!! The description indicates that it is for a 6 spline shaft, the snowblower quick connect probably has a shaft with 20 splines or groves on it (I'll admit I haven't counted them but I can tell you for sure it is a lot more than 6 groves around that shaft). I greatly appreciate the idea and input, thank you. If this is the only cost I end up with having to buy a new snow blower half drive shaft to get my grass catcher to work then I got off easy. Sure beats the $2k-$3k price tag to replace the old GC with that new model. Thank you again for your help.

/ GCK60-BX Conversion to BX25 #17  
I appreciate the post as I plan on doing the same modification that you made this spring. One last question I have is is the tube from the boot to the GC long enough or will a longer one have to be purchased?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ GCK60-BX Conversion to BX25 #18  
I also just went on my local dealer's website and entered both part numbers for the shaft you listed. Both had the same list price of $227.65.

Good question on the hose & boot. Given the fact that mine was actually a bit too long for my BX23 and in reality the GC now sits in about the exact same position on the BX25 (since my recent modifications) as it did on the BX23 the boot should not be an issue. I just eyeballed the mower deck shoot fitting but didn't actually install the deck shoot duct on the mower or the hose. It appears to be the same 54" deck design even the hole on top of the deck is there to mount the shoot to it for the hose you are speaking about. That hose can be stretched a little if I'm not mistaken. I really cannot confirm the hose & shoot fitting right now because I've removed the GC from the BX25 yesterday and my deck is off the tractor because my quick hitch has been installed for winter. These two items are the least of your worries (mine too) when it comes to the actual installation. For storage I use a pair of the smaller wooden furniture dollies Harbor Freight sells. Simply lift up one side at a time and roll the dolly under each of the storage legs, then it rolls around very easily. What I went through the past few days was the worst of it (other than having to buy that new half drive shaft for my snow blower). But again that $227 part has made this modification one of the cheapest that I know of to get some extra mileage out of a GC that was virtually brand new. I purchased my GC used from an owner who never used it. It worked 100% for me, the 2 or 3 times I used it with my BX23 before I upgraded to the BX25. A lot of folks have complained about it's performance but I have found that a good dose of common sense and mowing when your lawn is DRY (there is some of that common sense) solves 99.9% of the GC's performance issues. Given all of this, maybe I should take this blog down because when my old GC goes I'll likely want to buy another one of this vintage & style. My modification will simply unbolt from my current unit and can be rebolted to the new/used one and of course my drive shaft modification is interchangable. Now that I think about it if anyone wants to sell their GCK60-BX because it won't fit their new BX24 or BX25 emial me and maybe we can work out a deal? :)

/ GCK60-BX Conversion to BX25 #20  
Well I'm wishing this would work just for the $ savings!!! The description indicates that it is for a 6 spline shaft, the snowblower quick connect probably has a shaft with 20 splines or groves on it (I'll admit I haven't counted them but I can tell you for sure it is a lot more than 6 groves around that shaft). I greatly appreciate the idea and input, thank you. If this is the only cost I end up with having to buy a new snow blower half drive shaft to get my grass catcher to work then I got off easy. Sure beats the $2k-$3k price tag to replace the old GC with that new model. Thank you again for your help.

Not sure I follow as I thought this extender would go on your tractor side rear PTO to extend it 3". That shaft is already a 1 3/8", 6-spline shaft. Your existing GC PTO shaft must attach to the standard rear PTO stub now. What am I missing?