Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #1  

GC1710

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey GC1710
So I started it today about 10 degrees (ran it 3 times last week much colder). Started fine and did one pass on the driveway (plowing) and all the sudden I could hear her starting to gasp for fuel....high tailed it for the carport and made it and she died. Went to the gas station picked up the 911 (red) and the treatment (white). Went home poured 4 ounces of red 911 in the tank, unscrewed the filter and ran some diesel out.....saw the filter and knew I guessed right...(see pic). Put new filter on (I had an extra!) filled bowl halfway with 911 (red) then screwed it halfway on and let it fill with diesel until dripping, then tightened it. Started tractor....started right up. Ran her the past 4 hours doing some chores then filled her up and treated her with the white bottle. Lesson learnt......treat the diesel fuel especially if you will be operating it every few days in the negatives.....

IMG_3743.JPGIMG_3745.JPGIMG_3746.JPGIMG_3747.JPG

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #2  
I see you are in Syracuse IN and I'm 20 Mi. north of Syracuse NY. Temps here have been single digits this past week with wind chills of -15 to -25 below. I've been plowing every day for past 4 days and I've always used Power Service white bottle for the past 15 or more years. So far so good. Glad you caught yours in time. I buy my fuel in bulk (275 gallon) and dump in enough PS to treat the whole tank.

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running
I see you are in Syracuse IN and I'm 20 Mi. north of Syracuse NY. Temps here have been single digits this past week with wind chills of -15 to -25 below. I've been plowing every day for past 4 days and I've always used Power Service white bottle for the past 15 or more years. So far so good. Glad you caught yours in time. I buy my fuel in bulk (275 gallon) and dump in enough PS to treat the whole tank.

I always heard so much about fuel gelling and how good PS works....looks like both are true!

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #4  
Happy ending!

As I mentioned, I believe my 2310 was suffering from the same malady... after adding half a bottle of an anti-gel to the tractor fuel tank (it was what was available at a nearby convenience store, but not PS) and using the block heater and a blanket, I was apparently able to get the stuff through the system. No trouble starting after that, fortunately... but we'll see what happens the next time. Suspect the off-road diesel I was using just wasn't up to snuff.

Thanks for the update!

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #5  
I have a question relating to fuel filters that gel up.

Can you take the fuel filter off, warm it up for a few hours sitting in a pan, wash it with some Diesel oil, and reuse the filter again?

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #6  
Axle, I'm sure that could be done and would work; I doubt you'd even need to wash it-- just let it sit long enough to warm up. If the filter looked clean, I wouldn't hesitate to use it again, in fact I rarely change my fuel filter if a visual inspection looks fine.

The --sometimes-- other issue is the fuel line before & after the filter - they can also gel up. I've seen diesel trucks that were warmed up, started, ran great, then quit while on the road because the lengthy fuel line between the tank and the engine couldn't hack it in extremely cold weather.

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #7  
Axle, I'm sure that could be done and would work; I doubt you'd even need to wash it-- just let it sit long enough to warm up. If the filter looked clean, I wouldn't hesitate to use it again, in fact I rarely change my fuel filter if a visual inspection looks fine.

The --sometimes-- other issue is the fuel line before & after the filter - they can also gel up. I've seen diesel trucks that were warmed up, started, ran great, then quit while on the road because the lengthy fuel line between the tank and the engine couldn't hack it in extremely cold weather.

And me, I was thinking it would be a good way to.have a spare fuel filter. That way you put in the new one you have in inventory/backup and reuse the replaced one later just in case there was some more in the line. I've never gelled up myself but a friend had it happen what you describe with gelling also in the line.

I've never understood why some try to use very minimal power service in the white bottle . . . Around here the mid size bottles on sale often are 8.50 a bottle (mid size). Cheap insurance your not standing or kneeling in very cold windchills lol.

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #8  
I know I repeat myself from other threads [I just said this in another MF thread a few minutes ago -- this seems to be a hot topic these cold days] but here's my opinion:

I trust neither "winter blended fuel" (truth is you have no idea what they did or failed to do or just claimed they did with the fuel) nor additives of any kind or brand. (I have no doubt that additives can help and that some are better than others.) Many posts by additive users prove to me that additives are no more than a marginal help AND they are not cheap ! What works and works all the time in very cold weather is a 50/50 mix of #1 and #2 fuel (e.g. kerosene and ordinary diesel fuel.) Any time you have reason to believe it will be below 12 or 15 degrees during your running period, mix in some kerosene. I've said several times that is what heavy equipment operators routinely do in the northern tier of states. They know what they are doing.

Is there a downside? Not really. Yes, #1 lacks the better internal inherent lubrication levels of #2. Yes, you get slightly less power out of a diesel engine when burning a mix with #1 (kerosene.) Now weigh those downsides (generally very temporary, short term, and minor for most of us) with the major nuisance of engines shutting down in the midst of operations, of time lost and efforts to get rid of the gel once it has formed, etc. No question what the better choice is !

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #9  
And me, I was thinking it would be a good way to.have a spare fuel filter. That way you put in the new one you have in inventory/backup and reuse the replaced one later just in case there was some more in the line. I've never gelled up myself but a friend had it happen what you describe with gelling also in the line.

I've never understood why some try to use very minimal power service in the white bottle . . . Around here the mid size bottles on sale often are 8.50 a bottle (mid size). Cheap insurance your not standing or kneeling in very cold windchills lol.

Rural King has the 80 oz bottle on sale for $9.79 if you have a RK close to you. I usually buy 6 at a time to treat my large tanks. Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost Treatment 8oz :)8-6 : Rural King
I watch online for 80 oz. bottle sales with free shipping. Even including shipping from Rural King to me its $12.62 a bottle.

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #10  
When the fuel jells, my understanding is it gets waxy.

Lacquer thinner, or perchlorethylene, (both types of brake cleaner), will dissolve wax.

The filter could potentially be cleaned with them, as good as new.