Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #21  
Another starting aid that hasn't been mentioned is a heat lamp if power is available,
a 250 watt infared heat lamp aimed at and close to the injector pump and or filters can help considerably on cold starts.

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #22  
Im confused, dont they sell a winter blend of diesel in your areas? About october nere, they switch to winter blend. In 28 years i have never had gelling issues. Dont use any additives. Have 2 diesel trucks and thru 2 diesel tractors .

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #23  
I also like to blend my own so I know for a fact I'm treated 50/50 and won't have to tarp and torch...no fun. 50% #1 off road, 50% #2 off road plus antigel of your choice. Beats fighting with poor fuel at below zero.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #24  
rural area, diesel in pony tanks at stores. winter blend is in now just prob hit last batch of summer blend.
didn't have issue last year, just a fluke of nature yesterday I guess.
took me 20 minutes to fix and running fine now (12 deg high today) with no issues.
I avoid additives if I can but....you know....

I am in habit during the cold of filling after every use, didn't other day and was at 1/3 tank or so.
may have been involved in the issue, who knows.
fixed and running fine with little work on my end.

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #25  
Fuel anti-gel treatments (like PS white) recommend to mix in your fuel above the fuels cloud point (~15F).

Also, get a small clear bottle of your fuel and test it in your freezer or outside. See how cloudy or thick it gets.

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #26  
I always use an additive, summer and winter. No detrimental effects that I can ascertain. Just had my one tractor 'tuned up' at 6300 hours and the compression was at factory values and the injectors spray tested and popped off perfectly. I'm good with that and I put a ton of hours on mine, way more than any 'ocassional' user. Even dynoed above the factory listed pto power by 10 horses.

PS winter additive and PS summer additive plus biocide in the storage tank.

Been there with algae, you never want to go there as it's an expensive (in replacement parts) fix.

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #27  
yeah I have some on hand (not sure brand, in shed don't feel like checking brand) but in 2 years this tractor and 5-6 years with gc1710 and MF1532 never needed. just a fluke.

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #28  
Fuel quality and contaminates hinge entirely on the refiner and how it's stored at the filling station you use and if their tanks have water in them or not. Fuel sits on top the water but if the tanks are low, good chance you'll get water and fuel at the same time.

One thing I never do is buy fuel just after the tank truck drops a load because it stirs up whatever is in the bottom of the storage tank.

A certain amount of water is acceptable (states vary on that percentage) but I prefer to err on the side of caution anyway.

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #29  
A hair dryer works remarkably well for warming things up. When we built our house, the frost followed the newly disturbed soil around the well casing and froze the waterline at the pitless adapter. The well guy came out and asked if we had a hair dryer. He taped a 8' piece of 1" black tubing on it and stuffed it down the well casing. Worked like a charm. I have used that trick severa times for getting heat to things, and it always works great unless I forget to wipe the grease off my wife's hairdryer. :oops:

/ Gelled up the filter on the GC...quick fix and back running #30  
A hair dryer works remarkably well for warming things up. When we built our house, the frost followed the newly disturbed soil around the well casing and froze the waterline at the pitless adapter. The well guy came out and asked if we had a hair dryer. He taped a 8' piece of 1" black tubing on it and stuffed it down the well casing. Worked like a charm. I have used that trick severa times for getting heat to things, and it always works great unless I forget to wipe the grease off my wife's hairdryer. :oops:
I'm in a double wide and for last 22 years follow a fall checklist. one item is plug in the 2 sections of heat tape.
guess what I missed this year. guess who lost water yesterday.
yup this guy.
line out of pad to pressure tank froze.
I caught it approx 90 minutes after the freeze.
plugged tape in tossed salamander near well line...20 minutes later all fixed.
stupid dumbass error on my end.
only time in 22 years this has ever happened.

now with my error being tossed out for all to enjoy....I have actual heat gun I use often when needed as well as 2 80K btu salamanders. I'm prepared....just got to stop being a dumbass.