Getting the pinch put on

/ Getting the pinch put on #21  
when you give him the money, keep $50.00 and tell him that's what you charge for a collection fee

/ Getting the pinch put on #22  
Hi all,

Ok, I'm a little steamed right now, so this is my vent.

We don't usually get a lot of snow in Southern Maryland. As you know we've been slammed. It's a really heavy snow, and my little tractor would have taken forever to move it. So we really appreciated it when our neighboor (Mr X) came though with his big 640 John Deere and a hydraulic 8 ft blade and cleared Doe Lane for us. Gee that's swell. In the past I've usually slipped him a $20 for diesel money, and in talking to the other 4 neighbors found that they did not. Hummmm.

So it was great having him come up yesterday and clear our lane. And this morning he was back. I was already on my Kubota when he came through. Wow that sure save's me a lot of time.

So he drives up to my place, hops out and says, "So you're taking up the collection for me?" :eek: I said, "Well, we were just going to get a card for you." (I had already talked to one of the neighbors about getting him a card and taking up a voluntary collection) and he comes back, "$50 a person, or I can always put the snow back. This is a $60K piece of equipment here and I need to pay for it, and people are calling me to clear their drive ways for $75, so I'm only charging you all $50."

:confused::(

So I went in, got his $50 and talked it over with my wife. He's a neighbor and good friend, but really, to render the service and then ask for payment, and to ask me to collect it I think is a little much.

So I gave him his payment and then said, "Here you go, but I'm going to tell you, I don't like collecting from the other neighbors for you. I'll do it, but next year, you don't come back here until you get a call from us." And he said OK and then left.

What would you do?

I was going to plow the 5 or 6 inches of snow we got on our driveway this after noon or evening .
My wife was telling my cousin Rachel about my plan last night on the phone.
Rachel told my wife perhaps I should not be out in the cold since I'm recovering from a recent stroke and more recently artery surgery.

Well as it turns out the matter was taken care as I don't have to do the driveway thanks to my next door neighbor .

Was setting in the living room about 10:30 this morning and my wife looks out the window and says who is that coming up our driveway?
She took another look and exclaimed it's Greg my next door neighbor in his older Chevy 4 x 4 with a plow blade on the front.
He just drove in and cleaned up the whole drive way for me.

Words Can not express the gratitude I felt .

If you have great neighbors treat them well, as they are a gem.

/ Getting the pinch put on #23  
   / Getting the pinch put on
Well, it certainly qualified as an awkward moment :D

I see three points:
1) The neighbors had not been neighborly enough to offer to pay in the past.
2) Mr X may be shy about knocking on the door of every house on the lane, thinking, don't these people know this costs money?
3) When he asked if you would collect, and you answered, 'we were thinking of getting you a card'. May have prompted the response about putting the snow back.

It could just be crossed wires, you thought he was doing it to be neighborly, in his own mind, he was being neighborly but began to think the privilege was getting abused. :)

I have helped neighbors with snow and never asked, wanted or took anything for it, it was always offered however - which I would consider polite. That he is your neighbor and has a big tractor, doesn't obligate him to clear your lane to be good neighbor IMO.

Decent neighbors are rare enough. If you like him well enough in other ways, don't make a big issue out of it. Just explain, like others have suggested, how it seemed to you and how it has to be in the future.

How do you and your neighbors go about shared lane maintenance the rest of the year?
Dave.

Hi Dave,

We agree ahead of time on costs and share the burden. On one instance, a neighbor asked for forgiveness of their portion of a shared debt. I polled all the neighbors and we collectively agree to forgive the unpaid debt. The neighbor that couldn't pay was going through a divorce at the time and was close to insolvent.

/ Getting the pinch put on #26  
taborekle
You handled that better then most. Mr X is definitly taking advantage of people when most don't have a choice to say no to his price,after he's already done the job .He should have checked with everyone first.
For him to ask you to go around to get his pay ,shows he knew how people would take it .
I can remember when all I had was a shovel to use and would watch plow trucks drive bye thinking to myself if that was me I'd stop to help out. Now that I have my tractor I don't think twice about doing my neighbors driveway if they need it .It's nice to have them offer something ,but makes me feel better to do it for nothing ,but the appreciation!!

/ Getting the pinch put on #27  
Hi Dave,

We agree ahead of time on costs and share the burden. On one instance, a neighbor asked for forgiveness of their portion of a shared debt. I polled all the neighbors and we collectively agree to forgive the unpaid debt. The neighbor that couldn't pay was going through a divorce at the time and was close to insolvent.

I guess you don't normally need to spend much on snow removal? It's been so long since I paid to have our drive plowed, but I don't think $50 is real expensive.

I lived on a private road before moving here, we paid an amount for all costs (plowing, grading, new stone) that was proportional to the distance of your driveway to the town road - more or less. We also set a budget limit each year ahead of time for everything except snow plowing. We knew that could vary from year to year, and as long as the rates are reasonable, it costs what it costs.

I can see the charge and collection idea after the fact is pretty clumsy on Mr. X's part. I was wondering if you think his social skills are somewhat limited in general or what he said was out of character for him, compared to your past experiences or conversations. However you work it out, I hope you have peace in the neighborhood.
Dave.

/ Getting the pinch put on #28  
I just got back in today from 2 days of clearing out driveways in the area I live in with my Skid Loader. I started up the road and if I saw one that needed cleaned I asked if they could use the help and then cleaned it. I didn't ask for any payment but most insisted I take some for the fuel. I also did a few and got away before any payment was offered.

I think some people do take advantage in a bad situation like this with the heavy snowfall that makes it hard to use a smaller tractor to clear. But like others have said on here he should have make a pricing arrangement before doing the work.

There was one fella today that was clearing out his drive with a shovel and as I started up a drive across the road he started yelling "don't you even think about pushing that snow onto my property". Didn't even give me a chance to offer to help clear his out when I was done with this one. Not sure what his problem was but would have gladly helped him and saved him hours of work. I've always stacked the snow on the peoples property I am cleaning but now know that is one neighbor I'll not have to worry about stopping at to help.

We're supposed to help others in time of need like this snowstorm, that is the American way but there always seems to be a neighbor somewhere near by that has to be the goof. Nice to see so many on here are helping their neighbors and doing the right thing.

Topstrap

/ Getting the pinch put on #29  
when you give him the money, keep $50.00 and tell him that's what you charge for a collection fee

That is excellent. I would do that.

It was a little cheesy, but ok I see his point for asking for the $50 from you. He should ask be4 doing it, but neighbors and all, I think you handled that well.

If I understand right, and you are supposed to collect money for him from the other people.....

I'd be a little irate about that part of it. That's way over the top. You ain't a bill collector.

I'd surely do the above. _If_ you do collect anything.

--->Paul

/ Getting the pinch put on #30  
There was one fella today that was clearing out his drive with a shovel and as I started up a drive across the road he started yelling "don't you even think about pushing that snow onto my property". Didn't even give me a chance to offer to help clear his out when I was done with this one. Not sure what his problem was but would have gladly helped him and saved him hours of work.

I understand what you are saying in your situation.

On the flip side, here in MN the snow that falls in Nov & Dec will remain piled until March, it doesn't often melt much if any away. We have prairie winds here, so drifting with 20 mph winds can fill up a driveawy more than a 6 inch snowfall....

So one early December, some neighbor comes in the driveway, pushing snow with his blade. Waves and tells us he was passing by & how nice he was to help us and not want anything in return.

What he left was packed, bunchy snow that was now like ice lumps in the road, and he left a tall ridge on each side of the driveway that drifted in 3 feet deep everything someone sneezed and blew a little snow.

Never saw him again that year.

But boy, did we think of, and cuss, him a lot that long winter. What a flipping mess he made for us.

In my case, I might end up being your crazy neighbor someday. Based on my past experience in a different situation. :)

--->Paul