Getting the pinch put on

/ Getting the pinch put on #41  
Ever hear about the genie trapped in the bottle for hundreds of years. He kept promising himself that he would reward whoever rubbed the bottle and set him free. But it didn't happen for a few centuries. Then after a thousand years he swore that whoever set him free would pay dearly for it.

Well, I think the man plowing everybody out felt the same way. Only the original poster appreciated his efforts enough to slip him a twenty once in a while. So he probably figured, if they wont be thankful at least he will separate them from their money. Not the best way to resolve something, but the other neighbors seemed to think they owed no thank you. My guess is they complained about the noise of his tractor and that they had to turn the TV up louder.

He did not handle it well and I agree with the sentiments of the original poster but the man helping all the neighbors probably felt taken advantage of.

/ Getting the pinch put on #42  
Mr. X certainly created an awkward situation, but on the scale of neighbor offensiveness, this is small potatoes. Think about the posts with gates left open, surly dogs, fences cut, hunting issues, survey stakes moved or removed and the like.

The poster has had some contact with Mr. X that has been satisfactory in the past. No point in saying something that amounts to 'Let's you and him go fight' - IMHO. Better to iron things out in an amicable fashion and go on from there.

Everybody has a bad day now and then, doesn't make them a total jerk.
Dave.

/ Getting the pinch put on #43  
I'm a fellow Marylander, and around here, everyone helps each other out without expecting anything in return. I usually plow 5 or 6 of my neighbors driveways. I've never asked for nothing. Some have given me coffee, or homemade goodies, or even helped me with my little bit of hand shoveling. I appreciate these little acts much more than money.

In recent years fuel has gotten expensive. So, if they offered fuel or a small amount of money for fuel, I wouldn't refuse. But, I would never ask, nor expect it, much less demand it.

Mr. X handled it all wrong. And you further enabled him by collecting for him. $50 is fair enough with this much snow. But asking you to collect for him is way over the top. I think I'd find a way next time to get it done another way before he shows up, plows, and then sets his price all the while asking you to collect for him yet again. Or, if you really want to continue dealing with the man as a "friend", get with your neighbors and forge a contract with Mr. X to perform the duties for hire. That way everyone knows what the expectations are.

Me, I'd be keeping that guy at arms length from now on. Not my idea of a friend.

About 10 PM tonight, I'll go out an plow what is on my driveway....and I'll probably do the neighbors' drives too. No payment necessary, even at night.

/ Getting the pinch put on #44  
Can't see how anyone could defend his actions, whether it's a fair price or not, since no one asked him to do the work, he can't expect to be paid.

He may of said something like gee do you think what I did is worth paying for, or better yet if you like what I did could you consider paying what you think it's worth.

That's exactly what I did to get a new commercial plowing customer many years ago. Was going door to door to local businesses to offer my snow plowing service before the winter, a couple of the spend thrifts that didn't want to commit to hiring anyone would procrastinate til it snowed and worry about it then.

So when the first snow of the season happened to be a big dump, I noticed they had not been plowed, I was doing neighboring property in the wee hours so I went and did their 40+ car lot. Did a nice job and was gone by the time they came to open. Went back that afternoon and said "what do you think of my work?"

They couldn't get over it, that I would plow the whole lot knowing there was no way I could expect to get paid, if they chose not to, I would of had absolutly no recourse.
These were seasoned, frugal, tough businessmen, "you got some brass balls kid" was one of the remarks.
Well they paid me, hired me, and I plowed their lot for close to twenty years, don't plow commercially anymore but still do other business with them.

If Mr X handled himself something like that, everyone would of been happier.

JB.

/ Getting the pinch put on #45  
the crack about putting the snow back was where he messed up . he already hand the upper hand no need to rub it in . and he is no neighbor thats for sure. Karma has a way of dealing with people like that .