Getting the pinch put on

/ Getting the pinch put on #31  
I wonder if he'll really put the snow back if someone refuses to pay.
Gee sounds like extortion when you put it that way.

Wedge

/ Getting the pinch put on #32  
I don't see how he could expect to be paid if no one asked him to do it.
May be worth it for you and the neighbors to hire him, but to come after the fact with an attitude? And then ask you to do his collecting. You should just tell him you are deducting your share as a collectors fee :) after all you probably spent as much time collecting from everyone as he did plowing.

I do a few of my neighbors for free, been doing it for years, sometimes they offer me money or gift cards to local eateries :)
I'll take what they offer but don't expect it, as they don't ask me to do the work, I volunteer. I'm glad I can help.
JB
I agree I have never asked my neighbors for any money, and as long as I'm able and can afford to do so I won't. Sat one called and said his son wasn't able to plow his drive using his 4 wheeler and wondered if I could come do his..I went took about 45 min.-1hr . I wasn't expecting anything ,He gave me $20 ,My neighbor always gives me a $50 gift cert, today he hands me $20 said this should help with the fuel cost. This is neighbor I removed 1 set of LED Christmas lights using the blower and he won't take anything for the replacement. At present time I have appx $120 from neighbors , to buy fuel and help with what ever cost comes up..

My thinking if we can't help our neighbor when a storm like this hits,without holding out our hand, we're not to much of a neighbor.

/ Getting the pinch put on #33  
I am not defending Mr X's actions but is it possible he plowed everyone out of a major snow event at his expense the first day and no one said "Thank You". By the next day he felt taken for granted, don't know if I would blame him for that.

I would not have come back demanding payment as he did, but wouldn't be that helpful without a "thank you" either. He demonstrated some poor judgement maybe, but is he the only one at fault here?

/ Getting the pinch put on #34  
Mr. X sucks, and I would have told him to do his own dirty work, along with a few other choice words.

If he tried to put the snow back, I would have called the cops and filed trespassing charges against the putz.

/ Getting the pinch put on #35  
The way he asked for the money is the bad part...I'm not saying he shouldn't have something...Like you said you had planned on getting him a gift card . But to do it that way after he was done..That was his problem ,he did the work, he didn't call and adk do you want me come and clean your lane. Plus you didn't call him. A Thank YOU goes a long way Some of my neighbors I know don't have the money so I won't take the money when they offer me some !! There is one drive and everytime I plow or blow his drive he does tell me Thanks This year I have done it 3 or 4 times ,it takes about an hr to do his. Yes, he doesn't come to our church, and wasn't born or raised here, but just seeing what he has ,the # of kids, who he works for, probably doesn't have extra to give. But I do think if I needed a favor, he would come and help !! I feel bad for this guy it takes 6-8 to shovel his drive when we get a 6-8 "
snow. Hate to see how long it would have taken for these we have had this year DAYS !!!
But for him just to say you collect the money NO Way if he wants pay for his job let him ask the ones ,it isn't your place to do his asking. If he is your friend he is asking way to much of you and I would have to loose a friend !!Friends like that you don't need.!!

/ Getting the pinch put on #36  
Hey... that guy is lucky you didn't sue him for stealing your snow. Seriously though I think you made a mistake paying him anything. There was no contract and by paying him you have reinforced a bad attitude that needs to be adjusted.

/ Getting the pinch put on #37  
$50/neighbor sounds like a bargain. I agree he could have handled this differently.

Where I live I am the neighbor with the big tractor and normally blow out the neighbors driveways when we get big snow. I also refuse payment, it's just a part of being a good neighbor.

I have 1 neighbor a few houses away that will never again have his 400' driveway cleaned out by me. The last time I helped him out his kids and dogs were playing in the yard, I asked him to get the kids in the house until I was done, (gravel drive and a tractor mounted 7' blower can be dangerous). He said just do it, instead I drove all the way in through 20" snow and blew the drive the other way, (away from the kids and dogs). Major PITA......

/ Getting the pinch put on #38  
Don't 'sugar-coat it' mjncad ! Tell us how you really feel!!!!:D:D:D

/ Getting the pinch put on #39  
Don't 'sugar-coat it' mjncad ! Tell us how you really feel!!!!:D:D:D
roflmao.gif

/ Getting the pinch put on #40  
The problem in today's world is EVERYTHING boils down to cold hard cash, and I personally believe there were many mistakes made here.

1.) Mr X should not expect payment after the job is done, HE should set prices based on driveway configuration and go from there, ahead of time.

2.) The people in the past should not have been cheap and have offered the man something for at least to cover his fuel and machine maintenance. I wouldn't want to have to pay for the hydraulic oil that machine uses let alone the machine itself.

3.) Mr X should have had the BALLS himself to collect and not be a coward about it. If he wanted the cash, then he could ruin his own reputation, and not ask someone else to do it for him.

4.) Being cheap on both sides leaves nothing but hard feelings. I know myself, we got 24"+ of snow here this past Friday and I spent the whole day opening up the road for the neighbors. Nobody offered one red cent, but I did get a good cup of hot chocolate! That hit the spot.

Most of all, if the neighbors are up in years think if your parents were standing there snowed in and an ambulance or emergency vehicle couldnt get to them in time of need, how would you feel is someone had the machine and was to cheap to open some old guys road for him. I concentrate on the elderly people first, then work my way down to help the younger. Funny though, the younger people expect it for free and are the laziest from my experience! Go figure......

Craig