Gifted a Tractor... need help

/ Gifted a Tractor... need help #31  
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Tractor

Hey team, this is my first post here. I hope I can get some illuminating responses. My in-laws have a Kioti KL401 (is that the real model# or is that just the loader) that's been sitting quite a while. I told them I'd take it off their hands and they said OK. I can't

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wood Motor vehicle Font Bumper Gas

seem to find the year of manufacture by searching on the Internet and was wondering if anyone had a resource. I figure that's a big part of finding parts and equipment. I'm pretty sure it's 20+ years old. They said the ignition switch had gone up so I figured I'll replace it, get a new battery and change oil and filter (twice). Diesel in there is maybe still good? I'm assuming the hydraulics need some love but don't know where to begin. Needs a seat. Tire on the back obviously needs help.

I'm mechanical. Work on cars etc, just don't know much about tractors. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
that is the loader #

/ Gifted a Tractor... need help #32  
Obviously you’ve not read ALL the posts. Like #2, 3, 4….You’re late to the party. 🥴

Last edited:
   / Gifted a Tractor... need help #33  
The locked thread at top of this forum details everything needed to repair a defective injection pump of the vintage your tractor falls into. Keep it in mind if problems arise. Beware that if the pump were to break in wide open throttle position; referred to as runaway, you'd have to block the intake air to shut down the motor - before it would self destruct.
Now, fix tire, change fluids and all filters; especially the HST and hydraulic filters, and top off the hydraulic tank, IF the esisting fluid is clear color. If milky, you'll have to drain and refill all of it - many gallons- maybe 10 or more, IIRC.
Use high quality hydraulic oil for best results; not TSC or some other crap line wash quality, no spec oil. The oil is the life blood of the HST; don't skimp. In recent past I have said TSC hydraulic oil is fine- BUT I have updated data that says NO, it's garbage as far as specs and quality.

Good luck, they're great tractors - I just traded my 2010 DK-40SE/HST with 1530 hours. It was trouble free for its life with me.

/ Gifted a Tractor... need help #34  
Just understand that you need to consider the correct fluid before you worry about quality. If the oil you’re looking at is not the correct type, it might even contain gold fairy dust, it could cause damage. So if the tractor is a HST model you need Transmission/Hydraulic fluid for the entire transmission and hydraulic systems. If your tractor is a gear model it will require Hydraulic oil for the hydraulic system and gear oil in the transmission. Even this might vary from tractor to tractor, so do some homework to be sure what is required 😉

/ Gifted a Tractor... need help #35  
Just understand that you need to consider the correct fluid before you worry about quality. If the oil you’re looking at is not the correct type, it might even contain gold fairy dust, it could cause damage. So if the tractor is a HST model you need Transmission/Hydraulic fluid for the entire transmission and hydraulic systems. If your tractor is a gear model it will require Hydraulic oil for the hydraulic system and gear oil in the transmission. Even this might vary from tractor to tractor, so do some homework to be sure what is required 😉
If quality of oil is not a factor then use recycled waste oil for that matter. It goes without saying that the correct type, viscosity and so forth are the key ingredients for any application, bar none.
Quality is key to outcome and longevity of the machine along with periodic filter changes as specified by the manufacturer.

/ Gifted a Tractor... need help #36  
The locked thread at top of this forum details everything needed to repair a defective injection pump of the vintage your tractor falls into. Keep it in mind if problems arise. Beware that if the pump were to break in wide open throttle position; referred to as runaway, you'd have to block the intake air to shut down the motor - before it would self destruct.
Now, fix tire, change fluids and all filters; especially the HST and hydraulic filters, and top off the hydraulic tank, IF the esisting fluid is clear color. If milky, you'll have to drain and refill all of it - many gallons- maybe 10 or more, IIRC.
Use high quality hydraulic oil for best results; not TSC or some other crap line wash quality, no spec oil. The oil is the life blood of the HST; don't skimp. In recent past I have said TSC hydraulic oil is fine- BUT I have updated data that says NO, it's garbage as far as specs and quality.

Good luck, they're great tractors - I just traded my 2010 DK-40SE/HST with 1530 hours. It was trouble free for its life with me.
So what did you buy?

/ Gifted a Tractor... need help #37  
So what did you buy?
Murph1244,
I thought you lost that screen name and switched to something else?!
Glad you're still on TBN.

So, not to hijack this thread; check out my recent threads about the KIOTI '24 CK 4020 cab, AND a '24 KIOTI TL- 750 track loader, I just bought from my dealer.
Really liking both - but too early to review in depth yet. See the buying and owning forums to follow the discussion of likes and dislikes.
To me, as I'm fairly sure with you too - the DK- 40s of the 2009- 2010 era were mostly bullet proof.
Cheers,
CM- out

/ Gifted a Tractor... need help #38  
If quality of oil is not a factor then use recycled waste oil for that matter. It goes without saying that the correct type, viscosity and so forth are the key ingredients for any application, bar none.
Quality is key to outcome and longevity of the machine along with periodic filter changes as specified by the manufacturer.
change fluids and all filters; especially the HST and hydraulic filters….
Use high quality hydraulic oil for best results; not TSC or some other crap line wash quality, no spec oil…
Was hoping that you would read between the lines actually. Your statement indicates that you’re aware that this is a HST tractor, but you’re advising this new-to-tractors owner to use Hydraulic oil. You be advising him incorrectly….
So correct oil first, then quality next😉

/ Gifted a Tractor... need help #39  
change fluids and all filters; especially the HST and hydraulic filters….
Use high quality hydraulic oil for best results; not TSC or some other crap line wash quality, no spec oil…
Was hoping that you would read between the lines actually. Your statement indicates that you’re aware that this is a HST tractor, but you’re advising this new-to-tractors owner to use Hydraulic oil. You be advising him incorrectly….
So correct oil first, then quality next😉
Tractor was/is a gift. Doesn't mean it's his first tractor rodeo.
Hydraulic oil, HST fluid, universal tractor fluid, - I believe I stated to use the correct oil/fluid for the application - based on the MANUFACTURERS specifications. UTF, is an oil, by a specific spec, viscosity, etc.

You want to argue with me? It's pointless; and I'm not interested in further useless nitpicking.

My advice to the OP is sound, and meant to guide him to do what's needed. It's advice, not a bible to follow to the letter. I maintain, quality of oil/ fluid, then type. If the correct specified liquid is used, everything is covered. If the spec determines UTF is to be used; that base is covered.
I'm out - other fish to fry...

/ Gifted a Tractor... need help #40  
Hydraulic oil, HST fluid, universal tractor fluid, - I believe I stated to use the correct oil/fluid for the application - based on the MANUFACTURERS specifications. UTF, is an oil, by a specific spec, viscosity, etc.

Wasn’t sure that you did….but we’re good now