Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #451  
Hot- 74 yesterday and 60's today. They are predicting 78-80 by the end of the week. In like a lion and out like a lamb will become in like a kitty and out like a butterfly.
I call this global warming. I say it is man made.
Curious- if the house is burning- we do something. If the planet is burning we pretend it isn't and say just get used to it!:laughing::laughing:

The burning house corollary is a good one. If it's in front of us we react. If it sits and rots for two hundred years we don't notice. The same result is a release of Carbon to the atmosphere.
The Carbon Cycle is a continuous process over millions of years. That's why we have oil. The growth of plants and absorption of Carbon, then conversion to oil, then the burning of oil releasing Carbon.

/ Global Warming? #452  
Curious- if the house is burning- we do something. If the planet is burning we pretend it isn't and say just get used to it!:laughing::laughing:
If the house is burning and someone is making a profit because it is burning that someone will try and keep it burning.

Just before the Gulf Oil spill the Fed was due to lease a large section off the Atlantic Coast for drilling.
Due to public perception of danger that was stopped.
Now that the memory has faded from the public mind it's once again "Drill baby Drill".

Right now the pipelines are full and and the US is exporting gasoline. To China. And buying solar panels from China.

I'm sure we have more than enough wind, water, and sunshine to power America with some modification in our excessive use of transportation fuel.

But some of the biggest companies in the universe rely on overconsumption of oil and until America realizes it can do with a lot less oil and changes it's ways those companies will get their way.

Back in the 1970's a day outside in the Washington DC summer was like smoking two packs of cigarettes, now it's pretty clean.

Perhaps man only contributes a portion to global warming, but right now the house is on fire and we are pouring more gas on the fire. That won't put the fire out.

/ Global Warming? #453  
Focus on technology overlooks human behavior when addressing climate change

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 10:52 AM PDT

Technology alone won't help the world turn away from fossil fuel-based energy sources, says a sociologist. A shift in political and economic policies too is needed to embrace the concept that continued growth in energy consumption is not sustainable, experts say.

/ Global Warming? #454  
Global sea level likely to rise as much as 70 feet for future generations

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 10:42 AM PDT

Even if humankind manages to limit global warming to 2 degrees C (3.6 degrees F), as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change recommends, future generations will have to deal with sea levels 12 to 22 meters (40 to 70 feet) higher than at present, according to new research.

Pat

/ Global Warming? #455  
It doe's not matter if the World's climate change is increased by man caused activity's or natural progression. The change would happen anyway. Just because something has not occurred in recent memory will not make a difference in the long run. What the climate did last year or five or one hundred is not the question.

The question is why did mankind not prepare for climate change when we realized there had been cold and warmer times. Hundreds or thousands of years previous. I answer that by saying. We did. Migration began when hunter gatherers moved with the food source. Animals migrate today for the same reason.

"So easy even a caveman can do it."
No one ever prepared. They reacted. At 1 human per square mile or less it makes it easier. Ya just walk that way. Wont be so simple today. If it becomes necessary that it happen fairly quickly, say w/i a few decades it will be extremely ugly.
larry

/ Global Warming? #456  
Hot- 74 yesterday and 60's today. They are predicting 78-80 by the end of the week. In like a lion and out like a lamb will become in like a kitty and out like a butterfly.
I call this global warming. I say it is man made.
My zoysia grass is greening up -- 2 mo early. :confused3:
larry

/ Global Warming? #457  

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 10:42 AM PDT

Even if humankind manages to limit global warming to 2 degrees C (3.6 degrees F), as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change recommends, future generations will have to deal with sea levels 12 to 22 meters (40 to 70 feet) higher than at present, according to new research.

Pat
Ahh-h ... At about 700' here Im safe. Ill just set out a welcome area for the screaming hordes from the coast. No problem!
larry

/ Global Warming? #458  
Yet the Documentary and History channels continue to run long, scientific pieces about past sudden climate change, change that occurred long before man used fossil fuels. In the last week or so I've seen documentaries on how the Sahara Desert was a green, lush place just 5,000 years ago, or how the Arctic and Antarctic ice caps have ebbed and extended enormously over the past few thousand years. I saw a story about peoples having to leave England several thousands of years ago and trek across a year-round, ice-covered Europe to get to a greener locale around the Mediterranean. I see old US newspaper accounts of the great heat waves of the early 1800s that scorched much of the US for decades, and accounts right near where I live about people going 40 or 50 miles by sleigh routinely throughout the winter - December thru February - where we have just random snowfalls and bare ground much of the time.

The climate does change. Science has proven the impact of things like volcanoes, planetary tilt, solar flares and changes, etc. Because of variables like that, it is almost impossible to prove categorically that man's activities impact the climate. We can only use computer models - models based on our own suppositions - and try to make an intelligent guess.

My view is that we can't prove Global Warming, but we do know that finding ways to use less fossil fuels - while retaining a decent quality of life - has other and very real benefits... Cleaner air, less dependence or fuels that are finite, less dependence on fuels that make our country subject to other countries, and etc. So we should be working hard to conserve, and to find ways to accomplish our goals without oil and coal. That, to me, is a given. But global warming? Not so much.

/ Global Warming? #459  
What if everyone could only get a 1/7,000,000,000th share, and no more, of what we all consume from this planet? I wonder what that would look like. It would be an interesting experiment in human non-exceptionalism.

/ Global Warming? #460  
Ahhh Gullible warming.

Here are the facts. As long as you can purchase Gullible Warming points then you are allowed to do what you have been doing for 200 years.

Amazing how Gullible warming scarist can cry that we can breathe better here in the USA and it used to be like smoking a pack of cigarettes etc.etc.

Yes the Koolaide drinkers fail to understand that the people in Countries more crowded than out with no emissions etc. are just fine and have no air quality issues what so ever. NONE, Nada, ZIP.

Futhermore there's this thing called wind so if we have clean air with no pollutants our clean air blows over to England and the Billions of vehicles with no emissions from Russia and China blow over to us. Hmmm Al Gore hasn't thought of that has he.

So our emissions is helping England.
climatology_dees.jpg

There has been testimony in the UK under oath that includes the admission that:

The historic temperature and proxy data does not have the accuracy to determine whether our current climate is significantly warmer or cooler than the Roman and Medieval Warm periods. Therefore we may not be experiencing anything but normal climate variance. Only data that has been ‘adjusted’ or run through hypothetical models indicates modest warming
There has been no warming trend for the past 15+ years, even though CO2 levels continue to rise. Solid scientific research (as opposed to the crap peddled by the IPCC, CRU, NASA GISS, etc) indicates we are, in fact, possibly facing a 3 DECADE decline in global temperatures. This will impact the ability to feed the world’s population. After which there will most likely be panicked calls to try and raise the global temperature – such is the madness of panic.
It is clear the climate models that produced the predictions of runaway warming are simply wrong. They have not been able to take historic data and create the actual historic record. This led the head of one UK investigative team to concluded humanity does not have the ability to predict the future climate with any accuracy.

There you have it. No evidence in the past, no evidence in the here and now, and no way to predict the future. If one wants to point to a motive for such a grand delusion, one only has to remember the cure for this mythological catastrophe was the confiscation and control of most of the world’s finances and business. In hindsight it was not Gaia who was trying to punish humanity for evolving to where it is, it was greedy liberals wanting to pick more pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.