Glow plug questions

/ Glow plug questions #31  
Handirifle,
File sent. Check your email.

One other thought on the GP's. Mine will start without them in warm weather, but it takes longer. I have no idea how many hours are on mine (it shows 300, but I assume it had a broken tach cable at some point) and thought it was just a "cold" engine. But some diesels don't have GP's at all. They use ether to help with combustion when it's cold. Don't let anyone tell you to just squirt a little ether into the air intake when it's cold. Ether and glow plugs don't mix.

My technique for a cold engine is glow plugs for 20 seconds, open the throttle valve, crack the throttle open about a third, and crank it.

/ Glow plug questions
Lambs
Thanks, got the email and replied.

My tractor started fine today. I used 35 seconds on the glow plugs, and gave it full throttle (as per ray66v's suggestion), and she cranked about 4-5 seconds and started right up. I think it might be all things combined.

REALLY appreciate the things I have learned from you guys.

/ Glow plug questions #33  
Lambs
Thanks, got the email and replied.

My tractor started fine today. I used 35 seconds on the glow plugs, and gave it full throttle (as per ray66v's suggestion), and she cranked about 4-5 seconds and started right up. I think it might be all things combined.

REALLY appreciate the things I have learned from you guys.

Sounds like a good thing. Let us know if the repeat performance is just as good. Could be that you just weren't giving it long enough on the GP.

/ Glow plug questions
I think it might be that and the throttle position as well. My old motorcycle is very picky about how it starts, no suprise an old tractor would be too.

/ Glow plug questions #38  
Glad to know it's doing better!

I don't think I'd recommend starting one at full throttle. I'm sure it works, but I would be a little concerned about oil pressure being too low for that much rpm. Especially if the oil is cold and therefore taking a bit long to get to the bearings. Just a thought. We never started them at WOT on the farm when I was growing up. I can only assume that was the reason though.

/ Glow plug questions #39  
I don't think I'd recommend starting one at full throttle.

I agree.

Now that you know it will start: While your cranking, open the throttle all the way for a second, and then ****** it slowly. That way when it fires, your already pulling the throttle down. Mine is usually at about 1/4 throttle when it lights.

If it does not fire the first time, repeat the process.

Hopefully, when you get the timing figured out, it will start a much lower rpm then full throttle.

/ Glow plug questions
Maybe I should explain. It STARTS at full throttle position, but no way would I let the engine rev to that level. As soon as it starts sputtering on it's own I let off the gas, never looked but I doubt it gets over 1,000rpm, if that much, on initial startup.

I picked up a diesel compression tester today, but got to thinking, and the manual Lambs sent me, doesn't say, but where do you check compression AT? On a gas engine I pull the plugs....do I pull the injectors? How do I keep it from starting? Crank it with fuel shut off pulled out? Soooo much to learn here.