Glow plug questions

/ Glow plug questions #41  
Normally diesel engine compression is checked by removing the glowplug and installing an adapter threaded like your glowplug, that will also fit your compression guage.
Billy

/ Glow plug questions #42  
I can't find a thing that tells me what the compression should be for your tractor, other than the ratio should be 23:1.

/ Glow plug questions
OK I will remove the GP's and test. I guess I'll need three hands. One to turn the key, one to hold the tester (unless it doesn't need to be held) and one to keep the fuel cut off. :)

I suppose if one is much lower or two are much lower, that would indicate a problem. I'll expect 300+ and go from there I suppose.

Mybe do the oil/leak down test and see what happens with that.

Will post back when done. Thanks guys.

Who makes this little engine anyway?

/ Glow plug questions #44  
I can't find a thing that tells me what the compression should be for your tractor, other than the ratio should be 23:1.

Knowing the compression ratio and the size of the engine and number of cylinders you should be able to Google a formula that will get you to the expected cylinder pressure.

DEWFPO

/ Glow plug questions #45  
OK I will remove the GP's and test. I guess I'll need three hands. One to turn the key, one to hold the tester (unless it doesn't need to be held) and one to keep the fuel cut off. :)

I suppose if one is much lower or two are much lower, that would indicate a problem. I'll expect 300+ and go from there I suppose.

Mybe do the oil/leak down test and see what happens with that.

Will post back when done. Thanks guys.

Who makes this little engine anyway?

I would only use a screw-in type tester with the pressures you are expecting, if you want accurate results.

DEWFPO

/ Glow plug questions #46  
ok this is comparing apples to oranges so, your mileage may vary. a GM 6.6 duramax at 16.8to1, minimum compression reading is 300psi with six puffs/strokes of the cylinder. However you mentioned a oil/leakdown test, and I am not familiar with that test on a diesel, I have added oil to cyl on a gas burner but that is different, more space available in a gas burner. Diesel does not have a large amount of space if you are suggesting adding oil to the cylinder and then doing a compression test, DO NOT DO THIS! You might get to a hydraulic lock condition and that will bend or break things in your Engine.

However anyone else is free to speak up and say its ok if they know about how to do this type test.
Billy

ps you don't have to hold the compression guage, however being able to see the pulses as they occurr could help with the counting of them.

/ Glow plug questions #47  
You won't need 3 hands. All you need to just pull out the fuel shut off near the ignition key to cut off the engine. That shuts off fuel flow and is what stops the engine from running. You'll be able to crank it over, but with no fuel flow it won't start. You should be able to screw in the compression tester to the cylinder after you remove the fuel injector. Be certain you do not handle a fuel injector if there's any chance it can get fuel. The fuel coming from the injector is under very high pressure and can inject fuel through your skin.

The engine is a Toyosha CS86, displacement is 865 cc's, and as you know, it's a 3 cylinder engine.

Toyosha is no longer in business, but they supplied the engines to Hinomoto, which built the tractor for MF.