GM 4.5L Diesel May Still Be Alive

/ GM 4.5L Diesel May Still Be Alive #61  
Makes me wonder how much an intake exhaust & chip would do to improve my fuel mileage. All the guys I know that run them average about 2-3 more mpg than I do.
I have no desire to increase HP with 360/650 stock from GM and I'm not messing with my warranty, either. Truck is a rocket with no mods, but when I hit 5yr/100K, I might have some fun.

Builder, I got a honest 3 mpg change with the intake and exhaust. Verified by making the same trip, same load, when the truck had no mods then the next week with the moods. All this was done at 5,000 miles just before than after the first oil change. All three trucks I have done this to have been just after the first oil change. My guess its the exhaust mod freeing up most of the HP but as you know a engine is just a air pump and the easier it can get the air in and out it has to help.

The chip does nothing but add a fun factor in my opinion but does seem to help the shift patterns when towing heavily. It takes a few hundred miles for the tranny to learn the new power and you must no baby it.

/ GM 4.5L Diesel May Still Be Alive #62  
My neighbor has a 07 3500 Classic Dmax and he has had 2 sets of warped rotors in about 60,000 miles. I have heard the 08's and later had better brakes but have not heard. He does use his truck. About 1/2 the miles are pulling a 14,000# 5th wheel.

So how are the brakes?

Chris

My '08 has 33,000 on the original brakes. Probably a 1/3 of the miles are pulling in the 7,000 - 11,000 lb range.

The '02 K2500 Suburban it replaced had around 85000 on the brakes when the fins on the rear rotors rotted out. I replaced all 4 rotors and pads then. I purchased the Suburban with 50000 miles on it, and do not know if they were replaced previously. The rotors did take a BFH to remove, and I suspect they were original.