GM guy drooling over a Ford....

/ GM guy drooling over a Ford.... #101  
Yea. I wanted one so bad I could taste it 3 years ago when they hit the market. Just won't work for me unless it can tow 10K.

It is a neat truck though. I had a SVT Lightning and that thing was fun until it rained or snowed.

Chris

I had one too, '94 black with the tube bumper.
Traded it in on the Hummer H1 in 98.

/ GM guy drooling over a Ford.... #102  
From GM website

"Our available EcoTec3 5.3L V-8 beats Ford F-150’s EcoBoost in both fuel mileage6 and towing ability (requires Max Trailering Package, available fall 2013.). With our EcoTec3 5.3L V-8 engine, you keep the benefits of a larger-displacement engine and get better fuel efficiency. We think of it as “doing more with more.”

I guess they win the award for the least power to towing capacity award. They make it sound like the engine is more powerful and giving it more "towing ability".
The first graph is the new DI 5.3 liter which is a good improvement from the old version on the last graph.

Attachments

• image-2037153205.jpg
    image-2037153205.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2109715253.jpg
    image-2109715253.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2090557637.jpg
    image-2090557637.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 79
   / GM guy drooling over a Ford.... #103  
I guess they win the award for the least power to towing capacity award. They make it sound like the engine is more powerful and giving it more "towing ability".
The first graph is the new DI 5.3 liter which is a good improvement from the old version on the last graph.

Still 5hp behind Ford's 5.0 which is nothing but I wonder what the 2015 F-150 will bring. I thought the new 5.3 was going to be around 400hp.

/ GM guy drooling over a Ford.... #104  
Still 5hp behind Ford's 5.0 which is nothing but I wonder what the 2015 F-150 will bring. I thought the new 5.3 was going to be around 400hp.

Yes but Fords 5.0 trucks are all rated at under 10,000 lbs towing capacity, not 11,500.

/ GM guy drooling over a Ford.... #105  
Yes but Fords 5.0 trucks are all rated at under 10,000 lbs towing capacity, not 11,500.

Yeah they don't offer the max tow with the 5.0. I think it was to push the ecoboost.

/ GM guy drooling over a Ford.... #106  
Yeah they don't offer the max tow with the 5.0. I think it was to push the ecoboost.

Why would they not want to push the 5.0 and sell more trucks? That wouldn't make sense. Some people don't trust the ecoboost but want the capacity. Obviously they didn't want to overburden the 5.0 with that high of towing capacity. The max tow is also offered with the 6.2 liter.

GM is obviously willing to push the envelope.

/ GM guy drooling over a Ford.... #107  
Why would they not want to push the 5.0 and sell more trucks? Some people don't trust the ecoboost but want the capacity. That wouldn't make sense. Obviously they didn't want to overburden the 5.0 with that high of towing capacity.

GM is obviously willing to push the envelope.

The 5.4 had a higher towing capacity than the 5.0. Ford is really pushing the ecoboost. You realize a ecoboost 150 can almost tow as much as a f-350 with a 6.2?

/ GM guy drooling over a Ford.... #108  
Raptors are good baja trucks but for a great off roader truck with 3/4 ton capability Dodge Power Wagon. Factory lift, lockers front and rear, electronic disconnecting sway bar and a winch. Oh and softer springs. I've owned two of them and no truck but a unimog beats it. Don't forget 4.56 gears.

Mike

/ GM guy drooling over a Ford.... #109  

It makes a nice flat torque curve. GM seems scared to make a move. They have the ability but chose to take the safe route for 10 years then follow the pack. They could have really done sometime with the tranny and engines.

I commend Dodge and Ford for taking a risk and being leaders.

Chris

/ GM guy drooling over a Ford.... #110  
The 5.4 had a higher towing capacity than the 5.0. Ford is really pushing the ecoboost. You realize a ecoboost 150 can almost tow as much as a f-350 with a 6.2?

Ford ranked last in many reviews for towing in 2010 with the 5.4 compared to the competition. It was obviously the underdog that year with engines suitable for towing. The 5.4 liter was the biggest motor offered that year, except for the raptor. The torque curve of the 5.4 isn't a lot different than the new 5.3 liter.

Yes the ecoboost has similar towing capacity to the 6.2 liter f-350. It puts more torque to the road than the 6.2 liter. The GM 5.3 is rated 300 lbs higher than the ecoboost.

My point is that GM's comparison with the ecoboost saying it "beats the ecoboost in towing ability" is only based on the tow rating number. It definitely wasn't based on performance. Looks like the boosted the towing capacity to make that statement, and they will be embarrassed in the real world when comparing it to the competition like ford was in 2010. In 2010 I wouldn't have bought a ford if I was using it to tow..

I think we are on the same page in thinking the tow ratings wars are a lot of numbers game. I am ready for everyone to settle on the standard testing that Toyota abides by, J2807.