Comparison Going from 9n to modern

/ Going from 9n to modern #1  

bfisherman11

Silver Member
Tractor
LS G3033H
I went tractor shopping today. Locally I have a Ford dealer and a Kubota. Kubota said a good replacement for my 9N is a L2501(21k) but I can save 2k by buying a B2650 (18k) both have a loader. I am leaning towards the B2650.

Ford has a 4wd 1720 about a 1995 model for 11.5k with loader.

My land is hilly so 4wd. I want a loader and frequently use a 5' brushhog, 5' back blade and 5' disc for food plotting.

So what do you think? Oh Kubota is 0% for 60. I like that. Would the B2650 be good and comparable to what I used to do with 9n? The 2650 weighs about 1786# the 9n 2300# and the L2501 2425#.

Thanks,
Bill

/ Going from 9n to modern #2  
The L2501 would outwork any of the old Fords.We had two ,a 8N and 9N.Four wheel drive,power steering and a useful FEL.Just today we pulled out some logs with our L3000DT that the old Fords couldn't touch.
Go with the L series.

/ Going from 9n to modern #3  
L2501 is interesting because it is exempt from all the Tier IV emissions blarney, which starts at 26-horsepower, while having a full size frame and axles. You will have more open area at the rear, which will make mounting those implements considerably easier.

I presume L2501 PTO horsepower is around 21 horsepower/diesel torque. This is enough for 5' implements, barely. You will need some throttle, but that is fine. If you were fine with 5' implements behind the Ford, you will be fine with 5' implements behind an L2501.

This is an interesting marketing strategy from Kubota. I expect they will set a lot of units.

Go with the L series.

Additional 639 pounds is well worth $2,000.

Last edited:
   / Going from 9n to modern #4  
Go for the L2501. It's a lot more tractor for the price. I have the 3301 and just love it. They are great little work horses. I went with the gear drive, shuttle shift. You will love this tractor.

/ Going from 9n to modern #5  
Without looking at any specs simply basing this on conversations I have had with former 9N owners and my own experience I would look for a machine with at least the same weight if not a little more as it seems that most just don't like the feel of anything lighter for some reason.

/ Going from 9n to modern #6  
I just bought a new L2501 and I am loving it! I too have n old 8N Ford and the new tractor will way out work the N. The front end loader is one for the L models so I believe it is a heavier one. My rear tires are loaded so that helps with traction very much. The 4 wheel drive is a big bonus for me. :thumbsup: One thing I love about a modern tractor is that I can lift/lower/hook up the implement without having the pto running.

I plan to keep the 5' finishing mower hooked behind the 8N for mowing the front 5 acres.

I just finished rebuilding the 8N engine and it really picked up the H.P. as it was pretty worn out.

Plan on getting some LED's to mount on the ROPS as the front end loader is square in the way of the head lights...lol. :2cents:

/ Going from 9n to modern #7  
Of the two Kubotas, the L is the obvious choice to me. If you drive them both around without a loader, the B will seem like a lawn tractor compared to the 9n.

/ Going from 9n to modern #8  
I went tractor shopping today. Locally I have a Ford dealer and a Kubota.

Just a comment because some folks are particular about where their money goes. There haven't been Ford tractor dealers in decades. Fiat bought New Holland in 1991. Spend money at a NH dealer now, and it's going to Italy :(

Of the tractors you've mentioned, the L2501 would be the best, but it sounded like you were saying the dealer quoted around $20K, which seems pretty high for a 25hp machine. Around $20K can get you a 40hp tractor with twice the capability of the L2501 from other brands.

In the same size/power range as the L2501 a Kioti CK27 would give you a bit more weight, a bit more power, more 3pt lift capacity, in a similar size machine, and probably save you $5K (they're around $15-16K with the FEL). From LS a G3033H would be the same ballpark size/weight and have a lot more PTO power and nearly 50% more lift capacity...they run around $17K for an HST model.

/ Going from 9n to modern #9  
The L series is a lot more tractor than the B, I'd go that route. Kubota does have 0% financing but, it's not really free money. If you finance on 0%, the sales price is higher than if you pay cash or bring your own financing. 2% or 3% financing at the lower purchase price may actually be cheaper than the 0% financing, so do your research on that before buying.

/ Going from 9n to modern #10  
Just a comment because some folks are particular about where their money goes. There haven't been Ford tractor dealers in decades. Fiat bought New Holland in 1991. Spend money at a NH dealer now, and it's going to Italy :(

Of the tractors you've mentioned, the L2501 would be the best, but it sounded like you were saying the dealer quoted around $20K, which seems pretty high for a 25hp machine. Around $20K can get you a 40hp tractor with twice the capability of the L2501 from other brands.

In the same size/power range as the L2501 a Kioti CK27 would give you a bit more weight, a bit more power, more 3pt lift capacity, in a similar size machine, and probably save you $5K (they're around $15-16K with the FEL). From LS a G3033H would be the same ballpark size/weight and have a lot more PTO power and nearly 50% more lift capacity...they run around $17K for an HST model.

Gman has some what a valid point, there are other brands available that seem to compete on paper, but in reality are inferior in design, function, and quality. Kubota has always been the gold standard, and let's face it; one gets what one pays for. Cheap isn't a quality to consider.