Goodbye 5203, hello 5325

/ Goodbye 5203, hello 5325
Thanks, RollingFarms ! From what I have seen of it, I reckon I will enjoy it!

One quick tip about it. I've always used Diesel Kleen every time I've put diesel in it. I always get my diesel from a truck stop and they usually have the best diesel but I just went that extra bit to ensure. It's also never hard started on me or failed to start. The battery is brand new as well, bought it back in March.

/ Goodbye 5203, hello 5325 #42  
I would love to have a JD3020. I don't know that your skidding will improve with the lighter tractor unless you had a loader on the 2wd 2030
Was thinking the same thing. Bought a 2WD JD 5105 thinking it being a 50 HP tractor it would compare to our 52 HP Ford 4000. Never tried it, but I believe the older Ford would have dragged the newer JD wherever it wanted. Not sure compared to my 4WD JD 5303. In 4WD it would probably be close, but in 2WD think the Ford would out perform. Basing this on observed wheel spin when pulling 8' 3PT disc harrow in broken ground.

/ Goodbye 5203, hello 5325 #43  
Was thinking the same thing. Bought a 2WD JD 5105 thinking it being a 50 HP tractor it would compare to our 52 HP Ford 4000. Never tried it, but I believe the older Ford would have dragged the newer JD wherever it wanted. Not sure compared to my 4WD JD 5303. In 4WD it would probably be close, but in 2WD think the Ford would out perform. Basing this on observed wheel spin when pulling 8' 3PT disc harrow in broken ground.

Yeah, I have a neighbor that traded for a ~50 HP Mahindra 4wd four years ago and started using it to disc his fields. Nice tractor for sure but not working to pull his disc. I saw he was getting bogged down constantly so I asked him if he wanted to borrow my old IH 806 Farmall. He said no way an old 2wd tractor like that could pull his disc if his 4wd couldn't. So I let him be. A few hours later I drove my 806 over and parked it with a full tank of fuel at the end of his driveway and motioned to him to try it. He bogged down real good one more time on a turn and I saw him hitch up to the 806. No comparison, he was done in no time.

So each year now I make him do the walk of shame down my long driveway to borrow the 806. He is a good guy, it is just that on straight pulling with a properly set drawbar on a tractor, those old heavy 2wd tractors are hard to beat. I always remind him you don't see 4wd tractors at the tractor pulls. I don't know that they optimize the drawbar location on newer tractors.

Last edited:
   / Goodbye 5203, hello 5325 #44  
The tractor looks great, I would have guessed 200 or less hours.