Dirt Moving Got a loaner for a month on my new property

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #11  
Amen to that:

Loaned out Polaris Ranger came back with dented roll cage.
Loaned out pressure washer, came back with tips missing.
Loaned out wet say, the fellow lost the water tray??? How you do that I have no idea.

My loaning of machines is over.

More than happy to help with the job, but people for some reason most don't take care of loaned items.

And a simple thing. I had a double headed plumb handle ax that I owned for 42 years. Not an spot of rust. Neighbor wanted to borrow it to chop out some small roots. Left it out in the rain for a week. What do people think

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property
Starting to remember why I dislike social media. Contractor showed up with it, I didn’t ask. He said use it all I want and he’ll pick it up first of November. I was excited because I have a lot of work to do on a new piece of property we bought. I understand where all of you are coming from, but it is what is it. If I were to break something I would fix it, I’m not a complete douchebag.

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #13  
The only thing worse than borrowing equipment is loaning it out.

I will stick with my comment. I will not loan or borrow. Makes life a lot simpler. For the record, I do not think I am a douchebag either. Some may disagree.

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #14  
Starting to remember why I dislike social media. Contractor showed up with it, I didn’t ask. He said use it all I want and he’ll pick it up first of November. I was excited because I have a lot of work to do on a new piece of property we bought. I understand where all of you are coming from, but it is what is it. If I were to break something I would fix it, I’m not a complete douchebag.

No one here is saying anything bad about you or taking said loaned machine. We are all speaking from experiences we've had letting others borrow things. If you have the mindset of if you break something you fix it more power to you, I am the same way if I use something of someone elses. I also have the mindset if I can't afford to replace it I don't borrow it and I try not to borrow anything more than once, if I need it more than once I need to buy one, lol.

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #15  

I WILL agree with you on the “social media “ aspect.

I’m also quite certain you’re not a COMPLETE douchebag either

Yeah Im with you guys, and I’m the same way on tools. If I need it more than once I’ll buy my own. I will say this though, I never would’ve asked to borrow a piece of equipment like this. But when I showed up and it was sitting there it was hard to pass up the offer. He ran me through everything on it and told me to have at it. I mainly needed it for digging a long trench for a waterline and had planned on renting something. Hopefully all will go well and nothing bad will happen but I will remember you guys advice in the future should anything like this come up again. I can say I wouldn’t loan my own tractor, I’d do the work for them with it but that’s about it. Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate the input either way.

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #17  
I would NEVER loan out my tractor - period. People who have said they would pay for anything they broke have no grasp what-so-ever of the cost involved in repair.

My insurance WILL NOT cover my tractor off property. Your insurance probably will not cover me if I come to do work on your property.

Enough said.............

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #18  
Starting to remember why I dislike social media.

:D

Yeah, looking at it another way, you're providing a service to your contractor in exchange for using it, mainly providing a place for it to hide out from the deadbeat so it doesn't get stolen ...err "returned prematurely", back to its owner.

Are you sure there's no police report on it? How much you trust your contractor? I'd hate to be in the middle of a he said/he said situation.
I take it your place is off the main road? Eh, no problem then.

Nobody is a d-bag, at least I'm not. Just words of caution on how a simple situation can quickly get complicated. I suppose ultimately it's the contractor's responsibility for the equipment under his possession.

Off of soapbox now.

Contractor is someone we’ve used for years. Not to mention he has the code to start it and everything. Apparently the guy wrote a bad check, apologized, said keep this excavator until first of the month until he can pay the balance and you can use it all you want. And yeah I’m out in the boonies and I keep it in the barn. Although it is completely possible he brought to me to prevent said rubber check writer from taking it back in the middle of the night. I really don’t know all the details on that. I’m just going to use it and take care of it as if it were my own while I can.

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #20  
3 to 1 odds that the bad check writer is probably trying to hide it from being repossessed by his loan company, so he lent it to your contractor as collateral for his (other) bad check. :laughing:

-Did I mention I was pessimistic?

Last edited: