Dirt Moving Got a loaner for a month on my new property

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #21  
I would NEVER loan out my tractor - period.
Enough said.............

It's not even the Contractor's machine. They do not have ownership. Even if the owner gave the Contractor permission to use it, I don't believe that includes permission to loan it out.

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #22  
It's not even the Contractor's machine. They do not have ownership. Even if the owner gave the Contractor permission to use it, I don't believe that includes permission to loan it out.

Okay. I was not aware of this aspect. Was it deleted from the original post ?
Am I MORE senile than my daughter says??

If that is the situation (not the senility part) please disregard my previous posts on this topic.

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #24  
   / Got a loaner for a month on my new property #25  
Contractor is someone we致e used for years. Not to mention he has the code to start it and everything. Apparently the guy wrote a bad check, apologized, said keep this excavator until first of the month until he can pay the balance and you can use it all you want. And yeah I知 out in the boonies and I keep it in the barn. Although it is completely possible he brought to me to prevent said rubber check writer from taking it back in the middle of the night. I really don稚 know all the details on that. I知 just going to use it and take care of it as if it were my own while I can.

When I first read this thread (this key information being deleted) I was like, ok, dude's letting him use it. Use it well, make sure you don't break it.

With this information: I wouldn't touch it without permission from the owner.

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property
I asked the contractor he said it was fine with the owner. I can say I will probably never post again in here. Back to lurking for this ol boy.

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #27  
boy this has twisted written all over it

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #28  

We can only assume the value of the excavator is similar to the bad check otherwise he likely would have given something else. As far as I’m concerned it IS the contractors excavator until the debt is made good. That or the banks. If I had equipment on hold for a debt you better believe I’d use it. Loaning it does seem like a bad idea.

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #29  
I asked the contractor he said it was fine with the owner. I can say I will probably never post again in here. Back to lurking for this ol boy.

Ehh, don't sweat it. Keep posting.

Ain't nobody here but us chickens...
...just clucking about with our half-informed, meaningless opinions. It doesn't mean anything. No biggee.
Some want to argue, some want to give advice and show how smart they are, some want to learn, usually it's some combination of all three and more.
I suppose we could of all said "Whoo- hoo! A free loaner! Lucky you! Hurray!", and some commenters sort of did that, but that would be boring if we all did. :D

/ Got a loaner for a month on my new property #30  
I am an owner, but also work for a construction dealer (large equipment). We have had people with machines to be fixed and we hold until we get payment, alot of times. We will also hold a piece of equipment for a bad check/debt. In Alabama, they will put you in jail for a bad check. We once held a large dozer for over a year, waiting for payment. When he came to get it, we had to put new batteries and worked on it to get it started. Our own tractors on the lot gets started and run at least once a month. We had one small dozer that sat for 9 months for payment. After tearing into it and giving a price, owner did not want to pay to have it fixed. We already had $2500 in tearing it down. He was told up front that the dozer would not be worth fixing, due to the high costs of the parts. He first said go ahead and fix it. Later changed he mind. We sold it for the cost of the ticket.
If the amount of the bad check is close to the price of the equipment, it may be all the contractor gets for the bad check without going to court. Minus what may be owned to the bank. If you are running it right and taking care of it, you may be doing them a favor. It is sometimes better to run the equipment than to let it set.