GR2100 comparison and price??

/ GR2100 comparison and price?? #11  
Go for a diesel if you can...the Kohler Command is a gas hog

Ducati

/ GR2100 comparison and price?? #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How big of a hog? How much mowing can you do on a gallon of gas? )</font>

Well I have no numbers for the diesal but I used approximately 3.5 gallons of gas to cut 3.5 acres so that's about a gallon per acre. Last year I used a Simplicity Lancer with a 17.5 B&S and it used 4.5 gallons to mow the same grass. I totally disagree that the Kohler is a "gas hog"!

Slam

/ GR2100 comparison and price?? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Very nice slammer! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Thank you Sir! Would you believe that a few short years ago that the section of yard pictured was an active corn field!? It's getting there...maybe in a few years I will be able to call it a lawn. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slam

/ GR2100 comparison and price?? #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thank you Sir! Would you believe that a few short years ago that the section of yard pictured was an active corn field!? It's getting there...maybe in a few years I will be able to call it a lawn. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slam )</font>

It looks pretty good to me! My "lawn" is still full of trees that needs to be bulldozed! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've gotta ask a few questions if you don't mind.

Did you look at Kubota ZTR's before you bought the GR? (I'm pretty hung up on the Kubota name) I used my uncle's Scag last weekend and that thing was a hoss! I was really impressed. It is a Tiger Cub with a 20hp Kohler and a 48" deck. You could blow through one foot tall grass full speed! (about 10 mph) After using that I'm wondering if I should get a ZTR instead. I've always liked the feel of a GT vs. a ZTR.

Does the GR really turn that sharp and do you think it is capable of doing what the Scag ZTR did?

Why did you opt for the gas vs. the diesel? If it was a money factor... I understand. It seems though that the diesel isn't much more and no dought will be running long after the gas engine. That said... I'm sure the gas engine would last a LONG time with proper maintenance.

Thanks slammer.

/ GR2100 comparison and price?? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Did you look at Kubota ZTR's before you bought the GR? (I'm pretty hung up on the Kubota name) I used my uncle's Scag last weekend and that thing was a hoss! I was really impressed. It is a Tiger Cub with a 20hp Kohler and a 48" deck. You could blow through one foot tall grass full speed! (about 10 mph) After using that I'm wondering if I should get a ZTR instead. I've always liked the feel of a GT vs. a ZTR.

Does the GR really turn that sharp and do you think it is capable of doing what the Scag ZTR did?

Why did you opt for the gas vs. the diesel? If it was a money factor... I understand. It seems though that the diesel isn't much more and no dought will be running long after the gas engine. That said... I'm sure the gas engine would last a LONG time with proper maintenance.

Thanks slammer. )</font>

I looked at their ZTR's while I was there but as you can imagine my yard is still rough and a ZTR will not save a great amount of time. And the ZTR will not safely mow my front slopes. The GR motors up and down the hills like it's level ground.

The GR will mow literally 3 foot tall field grass. I have been reclaiming an acre of field and it powers through with no problem.

The GR will not turn in place like a ZTR, what it does is pivot on the inside rear wheel. I mow around 12" to 14" trees with no trimming required.

I went for the gas because when the warranty runs out I can work on it myself. And the 54" deck is too big for some of the areas I mow. The 48" was perfect. No other reason.

I hope I answered all of your questions...if I missed anything just holler at me. slamerx@yahoo.com

Slam

/ GR2100 comparison and price?? #16  
Thanks slammer. I really need to go test drive one of those babies! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ GR2100 comparison and price?? #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( How big of a hog? How much mowing can you do on a gallon of gas? )</font>

Well I have no numbers for the diesal but I used approximately 3.5 gallons of gas to cut 3.5 acres so that's about a gallon per acre. Last year I used a Simplicity Lancer with a 17.5 B&S and it used 4.5 gallons to mow the same grass. I totally disagree that the Kohler is a "gas hog"!

Slam )</font>

You can disagree of course, but a gallon an acre (actually its more than that) is a lot of gas. I have the same power plant in my Cub - gas V-twins are not really fuel efficient....its still a hog, and even more so compared to a diesel....not much to argue here....If you can afford the diesel -get it !!

Ducati

/ GR2100 comparison and price?? #18  
Well... considering that Diesel fuel contains 30% more BTU's per pound and loses much less of it's energy given off as wasted heat its going to be more efficient per gallon than gas by about 40% overall.

However it costs more to build a Diesel engine and a bit more to keep it maintained. Diesel fueld does not gas off the oil after start up like Gasoline does so it contaminates the Oil a bit more and therefore needs to be changed more. But not that much more realy. For most people it amounts to one more change a year or maybe less. Normal takes a bit more oil though.

However there are lots of arguments about the long term maintenance cost and the intitial investment costs and when those become equal and therefore the Diesel overtakes its initial higher purchase cost and starts to become the better of the two. It takes something like five to six years to do that. That seems to be arguable. And where most proponents disagree. But eventualy it outlasts and becomes more efficient to use Diesel past that "payback" time. In the long run anway. And as long as the peice of equipment it sits in will hold up to make that profitable to do.

/ GR2100 comparison and price?? #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can disagree of course, but a gallon an acre (actually its more than that) is a lot of gas. I have the same power plant in my Cub - gas V-twins are not really fuel efficient....its still a hog, and even more so compared to a diesel....not much to argue here....If you can afford the diesel -get it !!

Ducati )</font>

Well ol' buddy you know what they say about opinions... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I could care less if it's a "hog" or not anyway. The bottom line is that I bought what I wanted and am extremely happy with it. All else is irrelevant.

Slam

/ GR2100 comparison and price?? #20  
exactly /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif