Grading with a loader

/ Grading with a loader #41  
I agree with Eddie. I have used buckets for back dragging successfully for over 30 years. Even my old and small JD870 did a fine job at it. Never ever had a hydraulic issue.

The problem is when you roll the bucket 90 degrees down. Back dragging with the bucket flat or up to about 45 degrees is fine.

/ Grading with a loader #42  
When it comes to one piece of equipment doing a multitude of tasks, the choice of equipment isn't nearly as important as the talent of the operator. :)

Well said!

I run a typical CUT and can spread a 12 wheel truckload of crushed any time to an even 4 inches in typically one hour.
BUT I have more than a few hours of CUT time. (my CUT is a mere 20 hp)

One main trick is to keep yours wheels on a flat base (that U made) and work foreward from there bit by bit.

/ Grading with a loader
I'm kind of confused by some of the comments suggesting that he shouldn't do the grading himself. Everyone starts somewhere and for something as simple as back dragging the front bucket, the learning curve is pretty simple. While I never cared for the results that my 80 year old dad left, it was still better then nothing and very easy for me to touch up once he was done. Rarely did I ever tell him that I fixed it since that really didn't matter to anything.

Every pro started out with the first time they did something. Most will have firsts on a regular bases. They just adjust, deal with it, and get it done. There is no reason that anybody should think that they cannot do this. What's the worse that could happen? It takes more time then they guess a pro will take? Does that include waiting for the pro to get there too? Will the pro use less fuel by getting it done faster, but it will cost more for his time?

If you can afford to have others work your land for you, that's great, but I think that most want to work the land their self, and enjoy seeing the results that they create, and maybe save a buck and learn something new while doing their own work.
Still 2 more pages to read and on cellphone at McDonald's and no time but thanks.

I used it for about an hour last night. Im not having very good luck. Its alot harder to see anything than my last machine.

Hopefully after 8 hrs seat time today I'll be doing better.

Attachments

• IMG_20200204_173345_01.jpg
    IMG_20200204_173345_01.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 132
   / Grading with a loader #44  
I have a large loader being dropped off on my property Wednesday, I have alot of material to move around.

After thats done I'll need to get things as smooth as possible without all the whoopdeedoos.

Any tips to do this would be appreciated

A wheeled loader is tougher to get things smooth than a track loader because the wheels have a tendency to follow the ground and the operator has to feel when to apply more down pressure and then raise the bucket to ease off. Back dragging is not a preferred method for grading.

A Basic Step-By-Step Guide To Grading With A Loader

Why did you opt for a wheel loader instead of tracks?

/ Grading with a loader #45  
I used it for about an hour last night. Im not having very good luck. Its alot harder to see anything than my last machine.

Hopefully after 8 hrs seat time today I'll be doing better.

Nice looking machine. I've never run one before, so I can't say anything specific about using it. In some of the comments, I'm not sure if they are referring to something like this, or a compact tractor? Are you dumping what's in your bucket all at once, or slowly tipping it and letting a little out as you continue driving forwards or backwards?

I'm not sure why people want to tell you that you should have something else? This is what you have to work with, and I don't see the point in focusing on what ifs or should haves.

My guess is that in a few more hours, it will all start to come together for you and you'll find it goes faster with better results.

/ Grading with a loader #46  
Nice looking machine. I've never run one before, so I can't say anything specific about using it. In some of the comments, I'm not sure if they are referring to something like this, or a compact tractor? Are you dumping what's in your bucket all at once, or slowly tipping it and letting a little out as you continue driving forwards or backwards?

I'm not sure why people want to tell you that you should have something else? This is what you have to work with, and I don't see the point in focusing on what ifs or should haves.

My guess is that in a few more hours, it will all start to come together for you and you'll find it goes faster with better results.

Great point that I share; it isn't so much what you see, but what you "feel". It takes a lot of time, practice, and patience to gather that skill. I personally am a whiz at grading with a FEL, but I have also been doing it for 40 years. Hang in there, you'll get it.

/ Grading with a loader #47  
Great point that I share; it isn't so much what you see, but what you "feel". It takes a lot of time, practice, and patience to gather that skill. I personally am a whiz at grading with a FEL, but I have also been doing it for 40 years. Hang in there, you'll get it.

Grading with a bucket is a pretty precise act to get right. A tiny bit too much or too little curl and it won’t work. You’d be amazed at how much more productive a CTL is where you can see exactly what you’re doing vs having to work through by feel. About like walking with eyes or using a white cane.

/ Grading with a loader #48  
An old dozer operator told me: "You grade pushing forward." He was not paid on days that the boss caught him back dragging. Or so he says.

Another: "Its all in your seat." You'll feel the machine move before you see the grade change.

You'll get it. Take some time and work the machine. See and feel what the bucket is like when its dead level front to back. See the top horizontal plate on the bucket above the pins? It's flat with the cutting edge. Start on a flat grade, with a flat bucket and go forward slowly. You will carry that until you have a full bucket, there is gap (get more material) or you're at your end of the run. Very slight adjustments to the bucket curl will cause you to dive down or ride over the top.

When you want to smooth out your wheel ruts or minor drags, set the bucket flat and level again and backdrag smooth. Float works, but I like to use light downward pressure in order to smooth, but not change grade.

Inevitably you will have areas to repair and rework (who hasn't made wash-boards), but you'll get it. Once you start feeling it, its like riding a bike.

/ Grading with a loader #49  
Grading with a bucket is a pretty precise act to get right. A tiny bit too much or too little curl and it won’t work. You’d be amazed at how much more productive a CTL is where you can see exactly what you’re doing vs having to work through by feel. About like walking with eyes or using a white cane.
That’s my experience. My CTL is better at grading / backdragging than my skid steer was, but the CUT makes it look like I had never graded with a machine before..frustrating to say the least.

/ Grading with a loader #50  
And of course having any stones that the bucket just rolls over makes it even more fun.