Grey/White smoke from oil fill tube

/ Grey/White smoke from oil fill tube
When you put the rings on the pistons did you offset the ring gap? ( making sure the ring gaps do not line up on the piston)

Yes, we paid sepecial attention to that.

When you rebuilt the engine did you measure the cyl. bore size the make sure they were with in spec. If the bore is to big or out of round the rings wont seal properly. When you hone a cyl you need to get the proper cross hatch to help the rings seat. Another thing that will cause rings to break is worn ring groves in the pistons. Did this engine have a lot of hrs. on it.
Bill

No we did not measure the cyl. bore size.

When we honed the cylinders we got what we thought was a good consistant cross hatch.

At time of rebuild over the winter engine had ~1,932 hrs.
Now has 1,962

/ Grey/White smoke from oil fill tube #23  
There should have been some directions on the placement and gap arrangement on the piston.? I wonder about the headgasket and was the head tested for cracks?

I have a service manual that explained how to position the rings and that is what we followed. I of course put a new head gasket on it. the head and valve seats were machined by teh new holland dealer that i called teh other day. the head was in good shape when we put it back on. when we tightened the head bolts we followed the order outlined in the service manual. we did torque them down to the correct specs with a good torque wrench.

My compression tester is on its way from harbor frieght.

/ Grey/White smoke from oil fill tube #25  
I have a service manual that explained how to position the rings and that is what we followed. I of course put a new head gasket on it. the head and valve seats were machined by teh new holland dealer that i called teh other day. the head was in good shape when we put it back on. when we tightened the head bolts we followed the order outlined in the service manual. we did torque them down to the correct specs with a good torque wrench.

My compression tester is on its way from harbor frieght.

are these factory replacement parts or aftermarket? the reason I ask is that some replacement parts manufacturers make "file fit" rings... meaning that the end gap mut be set my the installer...
Another thing that might come to mind is that, depending on ring design, that a ring may actually be on upside down....???? Just throwing out ideas...

/ Grey/White smoke from oil fill tube #26  
after you run it pull the dip stick and see if the oil is milky?

are these factory replacement parts or aftermarket? the reason I ask is that some replacement parts manufacturers make "file fit" rings... meaning that the end gap mut be set my the installer...
Another thing that might come to mind is that, depending on ring design, that a ring may actually be on upside down....???? Just throwing out ideas...

These rings are factory replacement.

/ Grey/White smoke from oil fill tube #29  
When the head was at the dealers did they replace the valve guides ?

Did they do a pressure test of the head ? Looking for cracks that cannot be seen by just looking at it ?

When the head was at the dealers did they replace the valve guides ?

Did they do a pressure test of the head ? Looking for cracks that cannot be seen by just looking at it ?

No for the valve guides.
As far as i know they did not pressure test the head.